Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2023, 04:49 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 2
Battery for Towing

I live in my 2015 Evo T 2700 full-time. I've been parked for a year.
I am getting ready to move it 8 miles away, and my battery is dead. I don't plan to tow it again for at least another year. Can anyone suggest an affordable battery for just towing the trailer? I am always hooked up to electricity for living in it.
Ladyluvsdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:59 PM   #2
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Goodyear, Arizona
Posts: 31,325
A cheap group 24 12v dual-purpose marine battery from Walmart. Still gonna cost around $80.
Or a cheaper group 24 12v car starting battery will get you 8 miles.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,460
Borrow a 12V battery from any vehicle for a 8 mile drive.

__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 7,322
Not so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Borrow a 12V battery from any vehicle for a 8 mile drive.

Not so easy. Almost all car batteries are side-terminal these days. Truck batteries are tapered lead top posts. Trailers use threaded top studs.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 16,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
A cheap group 24 12v dual-purpose marine battery from Walmart. Still gonna cost around $80.
Or a cheaper group 24 12v car starting battery will get you 8 miles.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
The "Legal" requirement is usually stated as "a 12 volt battery that is capable of operating the electric brakes for 15 minutes. That translates to only 3 amp hours for a typical tandem axle trailer with four brake assemblies.

Even a "mostly dead" battery will satisfy the need as long as it's not totally dead.

A battery like this only costs ~$17 and just about every battery store or auto parts store will have something similar.

__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:32 PM   #6
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Goodyear, Arizona
Posts: 31,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Not so easy. Almost all car batteries are side-terminal these days. Truck batteries are tapered lead top posts. Trailers use threaded top studs.
A lot of the cheaper dual-purpose marine batteries have the tapered round posts AND the threaded wing nut studs.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:36 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 7,322
As long as...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The "Legal" requirement is usually stated as "a 12 volt battery that is capable of operating the electric brakes for 15 minutes. That translates to only 3 amp hours for a typical tandem axle trailer with four brake assemblies.

Even a "mostly dead" battery will satisfy the need as long as it's not totally dead.

A battery like this only costs ~$17 and just about every battery store or auto parts store will have something similar.

As long as you can make up the cables for it.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyluvsdogs View Post
I live in my 2015 Evo T 2700 full-time. I've been parked for a year.
I am getting ready to move it 8 miles away, and my battery is dead. I don't plan to tow it again for at least another year. Can anyone suggest an affordable battery for just towing the trailer? I am always hooked up to electricity for living in it.
If it were me I would just do the move with what you have. I know the right thing to do is have a good battery but 8 miles? Really low risk as long as your tow equipment is up to snuff.
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:49 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Not so easy. Almost all car batteries are side-terminal these days. Truck batteries are tapered lead top posts. Trailers use threaded top studs.
For cars and trucks we have a Dodge, a Honda, and two Fords, all a decade or less in age, and they all use top post batteries. In fact I canít remember in almost 50 years ever owning a car that used side posts, although Iím aware of their existence. Should be no trouble buying a top post battery, and of course, anything marine/RV should have screw terminals as well.
__________________
2020 Sunseeker 2440DS on 2019 Ford E-450, Trekker cap, Topaz paint
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:15 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 7,322
Side posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
For cars and trucks we have a Dodge, a Honda, and two Fords, all a decade or less in age, and they all use top post batteries. In fact I canít remember in almost 50 years ever owning a car that used side posts, although Iím aware of their existence. Should be no trouble buying a top post battery, and of course, anything marine/RV should have screw terminals as well.
Our 2006 Tahoe and (former) 2006 Yukon XL have side posts, as well as my son's 2005 Caddy. The 2015 Sierra has tapered top posts. Did the car manufacturers go away from side posts? Good riddance.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:34 PM   #11
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Goodyear, Arizona
Posts: 31,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Our 2006 Tahoe and (former) 2006 Yukon XL have side posts, as well as my son's 2005 Caddy. The 2015 Sierra has tapered top posts. Did the car manufacturers go away from side posts? Good riddance.
That was a GM thing. I hated them.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:55 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 16,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
As long as you can make up the cables for it.
For an 8 mile trip just use jumper cables.


Doesn't have to be fancy, just work.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:06 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Tarpon Springs FL
Posts: 1,832
for 8 miles I would use the OLD battery.... try and charge it may last long enough to get 8 miles



the tow vehicle provides all the 12v power to the lights (brake /turn)


the battery on the trailer is only needed for the breakaway brake
go slow
__________________
Tarpon Springs FL
2022 Salem 24RLXL
Aussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, tow, towing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.