Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #1

Best camping solution for hauling 2 ATVs?

Hey I am wondering what everyone’s input is on this. I currently have a 31 foot fifth wheel and pull a small open deck trailer behind it for my ATVs. I really don’t like going far distances with this setup. I am looking to change it up this year. I am wondering who all uses a Sled deck in there truck box and pulls a bumper pull trailer? I am also looking at bumper pull toy haulers but for the price of those I can buy a nice travel trailer and I also own a Sled deck already. Any input?
Summit151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:16 PM   #2

I got a bumper pull trailer specifically so I could haul the ATV's and other toys. I ended up getting a great deal on the ATV carrier and modified a ladder rack to haul the kayaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1395984_1_bd18a41103a1011349419f03f1d4f4ab.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	161808  
Old 02-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #3

I drive the 2 quads into the back of my toy hauler, turn one sideways, close the door and go.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
I drive the 2 quads into the back of my toy hauler, turn one sideways, close the door and go.

What kind of toyhauler do you have ? How
Does it pull with ATVs in it?
Old 02-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgearhead View Post
I got a bumper pull trailer specifically so I could haul the ATV's and other toys. I ended up getting a great deal on the ATV carrier and modified a ladder rack to haul the kayaks.

That looks identical to me (Sled deck) or atv Hauler
Old 02-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit151 View Post
What kind of toyhauler do you have ? How
Does it pull with ATVs in it?
Wolf Pack 25pack12. Like most toy haulers it's tongue heavy without anything in the garage, with the quads loaded it takes some of the tongue weight off and pulls really well. It's great being able to drive the quads out, drop the beds and turn the garage into the sleeping quarters for my friends.

No camper, currently
Old 02-06-2018, 04:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
Wolf Pack 25pack12. Like most toy haulers it's tongue heavy without anything in the garage, with the quads loaded it takes some of the tongue weight off and pulls really well. It's great being able to drive the quads out, drop the beds and turn the garage into the sleeping quarters for my friends.

I have a 3500 gmc so I don’t mind the tongue weight. More worried about the horror stories I have heard about bumper pull toy haulers swaying bad
Old 02-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #8

Quote:
I have a 3500 gmc so I don’t mind the tongue weight. More worried about the horror stories I have heard about bumper pull toy haulers swaying bad
I had a FR 27HFS that I put my 2014 street glide in (1000ibs), it pulled good, I have a 14 3500 RAM CCLB 6.7 Cummins, we went with the 5th wheel and pull a 10 foot (13 with tongue) flat bed trailer behind it, 5 foot long. We went away from the toy hauler because it wasnt very comfortable, it may have been different if we had a bigger TH. I also had trouble loading a touring bike in the back, it would bottom out on the ramp, an ATV should have a problem.

If you are going to have issues towing the TH it will be with nothing in the back, your tongue wait will be a lot more.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
This is the first camper I've owned. I really had no idea what I was getting as I bought it online, never seeing it in person. Luckily from the help of forums like this I was smart enough to buy a 2500 diesel before I bought the toy hauler. Drove 8 hours to pick it up from the dealer and I purchased an Equalizer WD hitch with it. I almost sh!t my pants when we walked into the dealer garage and saw the size of it, lol, 37 feet and tall. I was concerned about how it would pull\sway. I have now pulled it all over NYS, loaded with BBQ gear, family toys for vacations, quads, full water tanks, empty, etc, I have not had any issues with sway. Sure, you know it's back there, cause it's a big SOB, but there hasn't been any point where I've "white knuckled" or felt unsafe. Passing rigs or being passed by them hasn't been an issue, drove in wind, rain, sun, I just set the cruise, put the exhaust brake on and let the truck and hitch set up work it's magic.

No camper, currently
Old 02-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #10

Toy Hauler

I have a Forest River XLR Boost 31QB. It is 39' long with a 12' garage. Plenty of room for two four wheelers. I haul a Polaris Ranger with no problem. I pull it with an F250 diesel. I did add a Husky Centerline WD Hitch that works well. You can also back up with this hitch without removing the weight distribution bars. The tongue weight is 1400lbs without anything in the garage. I added air bags to my 2007 F250 which made a world of difference. The Boost is not the fanciest unit on the road but it is comfortable and very functional. And the price is a lot less than comparable models. You can outfit it with all kinds of options. I put a second AC unit in the garage for the two queen size bunk bed that raise up to the ceiling when not in use. The Boost also has a half bath in the garage which makes the a really nice living space. I would also recommend the ramp door patio which is pretty cool. Just my two cents. Good luck
Heritage16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #11

Toyhauler

Summit151,
I agree with the previous posts, never had any towing issues with sway or anything else, any trailer will sway if it is not hooked up correctly! The only other plus for using a toyhauler vs hauling toys in a truck bed or on a trailer is this; when hauling "toys" in a troyhauler you have them safe and secure inside, out of the weather, out of the wind, and protected if you stop to eat or go somewhere away from your vehicle. You have less to hook / unhook, and spend more time playing than working. I haul 4 Hobie Revolution 13 mirage drive kayaks & bicycles on a trailer inside my WolfPack 24Pack14. At the campground I unload them from the toyhauler, and the kayaks are then easily moved to and from the water, plus they have a place to "be" out of the way when not in use, that can also be moved around easily if needed. Ultimately, you decide on what you are comfortable doing. Toys and camping go hand in hand, so getting them back and forth needs to be easy & efficient, read - not so much work! Overall, I believe using a toyhauler is easier. Good luck deciding.

cseeger22
2015 WolfPack 24pack14
2004 Chevy Suburban Quadrasteer
4 Hobie Revolution 13 Mirage Drive kayaks
4 Nokian Rotiiva AT LT235/75R15 tires
cseeger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #12

I do agree that it would be a lot more of a convince loading them. But I would have to load one straight and then turn one side ways. They are both 49 inches wide. So doubt they would fit side to side. We also ride a lot of mud so not to sure how well that would mix with a open loving quarters
Old 02-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #13

My only problem with a toyhauler is if you want to ride away from camp, you either have to break camp to haul the toys to the trail or have a way to haul them in your truck. We have camped at a couple of different spots where you can't ride from camp. Unfortunately here in KS we don't have any BLM land and the only places to ride you can't camp at so you have to haul the toys to the trails.

2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado
gwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping