Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #1

Best choice for single lady

I'm getting totally confused...so much information and choices for RVs.

As a single woman (older), I'd like to get a small rv -- something most suitable for one person. Something reasonable to drive, to park (back up!) and to maintain. I'd need to buy used, I have limited funds; and I'd want something mechanically sound and easy to maintain.

I've driven a 25' box truck (no fun) but I've never towed anything. So is a 5th. wheel a reasonable choice?

I so appreciate your advice.
JJ Brown
jdorn100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #2

My suggestion would be to look at Class C motorhomes. It will feel more like driving a truck or large van. Backing it will be easier for you also if you have no experience doing that.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorn100 View Post

As a single woman (older), I'd like to get a small rv -- something most suitable for one person. Something reasonable to drive, to park (back up!) and to maintain. I'd need to buy used, I have limited funds; and I'd want something mechanically sound and easy to maintain.

I've driven a 25' box truck (no fun) but I've never towed anything. So is a 5th. wheel a reasonable choice?

JJ Brown
5th Wheels are those large trailers that attach inside the bed of a large pickup truck. Given what you said you want, I really don't think this is something you want.

Look at a teardrop trailer. They're small, light, inexpensive and perfect for one person.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #4

Quote:
the fiberglass Casita is not a Forest River trailer, but it fits what you're looking for perfectly,...... at Casita rallies you'll find many single ladies towing their Casita and loving it,..... we sold ours to a single lady nearing retirement,...... at 17', ours was just too small for one of us, not both of us,......... I loved everything about it, low maint., light weight, and retains its value extremely well,...... a 30 yr.old regular tt is usually in someones back yard under a pine tree rotting away, but a 30 yr. old fiberglass Casita can easily be still in regular use and looking just like a brand new one,...... this is just my honest answer to your question.....

http://casitatraveltrailers.com/

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #5

Scamp is another small trailer and I see a few of them. I have met people that live in them and they seem to love them, you will be surprised with the things you can live without.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
I go RV'ing not Camping

I think the motorhome is another good suggestion, but that may chew up your limited budget.
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:26 PM   #7
Site Team

With motorhome you will probably need a "toad"(a tow behind car).

You need to consider that towing a 5th wheel will be intimadating.
And you may need 3/4 ton or one ton truck to tow it, depending on what trailer you wany.

I would suggest you check out Rpod trailers.
Kind of a swollen teardrop trailer that's very popular with single travelers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #8

A 25' box truck is quite large. A small class C would....is more like driving a van. You wouldn't have to try to back up a trailer. The only drawback to a class C or much larger class A is, any time you want/need to leave the campground, you would have to disconnect your utilities and take the RV shopping or wherever. Then, you have a parking issue. You could tow a small car behind your class C. You would then just pull into the campground and unhook the car, then take the RV to the site, get it set up, then bring the car to the site.

You didn't mention what you drive now. That would give us an idea of what you're working with.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #9

Don't rule out Class B either. They are vans. Smaller than a C and easier to drive.
Mikele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #10
Senior Senior Member

I would say Class B except that a good one will usually cost more than a Class C. Could be wrong there but that's what I saw a couple years back when we were nearing retirement and looking.

How you plan to use it is worth adding into the mix. Is it for an occasional weekend jaunt to a nearby campground or do you plan on long distance travel? Most envision the dream of seeing the country in our RVs.

A small tow behind camper trailer such as the fiberglass ones already mentioned will probably be your best bang for the buck.

Best wishes to you.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #11

Palomino 180FB

I saw several used ones in very fine shape.

Take a look in your area for one within your budget.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
the fiberglass Casita is not a Forest River trailer, but it fits what you're looking for perfectly,...... at Casita rallies you'll find many single ladies towing their Casita and loving it,..... we sold ours to a single lady nearing retirement,...... at 17', ours was just too small for one of us, not both of us,......... I loved everything about it, low maint., light weight, and retains its value extremely well,...... a 30 yr.old regular tt is usually in someones back yard under a pine tree rotting away, but a 30 yr. old fiberglass Casita can easily be still in regular use and looking just like a brand new one,...... this is just my honest answer to your question.....

http://casitatraveltrailers.com/
Well she hadn't latly, but she did answer one comment I think. Even through I'm FR type person your suggestion wasn't bad She lives in Livingston Texas location from her Bio. Don't they make Casita close to there in Texas? My brother in law just bought one he got so disgusted with his one slide LANCE and the slide broke 3 x's on him in a year. He lives in California and the dealer bought the unit back he had help from my nephew who sent him a letter on his stationary from his office no threats, just wanted them to extend the warranty. Sometimes some dealers don't like getting that kinda of stationary. Well he got 100% back from the dealer. He then went and bought a Casita because it had no slides. Went to the factory in Texas to buy and pick it up. Now if I was looking for a good lite little trailer I would be looking at the r-pods, being like I said I'm kinda a FR person. But I couldn't talk him into one, the man just hates slides now....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #13

Another appealing thing about the Casita is the resell value. I bought mine new, kept it three years and sold it for almost as much as I bought it for. They are molded fiberglass, not fiberglass panels like most of us have. People are clamoring for used ones because there are no dealers and you have to go to Texas to buy them new from the factory, which is in Rice. Mine sold for cash just 45 minutes after I posted it online. Phone was ringing off the hook. Should have asked even more for it.

As for the class B, I know folks who do not want to tow a vehicle behind theirs, so they rent a car from Enterprise when they need one. Doesn't work for everyone, but it may be a good option for some.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Don't they make Casita close to there in Texas?
they're made in Rice, TX, and they don't sell thru dealers, ...if you want a new one, you order what you want and wait your turn, then go to Rice to get it,...... could be 2 to 4 months wait, depending on the time of yr. ...... not only the fiberglass construction, but also that trip to TX adds to keeping the resale valve very high for used ones,..... when we sold ours(1yr.old) in NC, we had 9 buyers from NY to FL waiting to see if the 1st caller would make the buy, she did,........ was a single lady RN in Maryland who drove down and bought it,..... we are very happy with our Micro Lite 25KS, but would never have sold the 17' Casita if DW had liked it as much as I did,.....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #15

We also had a Casita before the Georgetown. It's great for the size but we needed more space, so double the length and width.

Trailers in that class including Scamp, Escape and several others might suite the needs of the OP very well. I also would not rule out R - pod or A-Frame.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #16
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
With motorhome you will probably need a "toad"(a tow behind car).

I would suggest you check out Rpod trailers.
Kind of a swollen teardrop trailer that's very popular with single travelers.
For the money and ease of towing you should consider the Rpod they have a lot to offer for a single person. Very nice. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #17

My sister had a Canadian made Trilium back in the 1970s. Pulled it with a Chevy Nova (V8). Nice for 1 or 2, but no bathroom.
cuselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

The FR R-Pod is a GREAT option and they are real easy to back.

r-pod Travel Trailers by Forest River RV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RPOD.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	115285  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:15 PM   #19

Quote:

JJ Brown
If you want something small and nimble, I suggest a class B+ such as a Coachman Prism or Dynamax Rev. Travel light and efficiently.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #20
King of the Road

Nobody bothered to ask so I guess I will. Before taking any of the answers into question, I have a question or two.

What is the intended use for your RV? Is this to be a weekender get away? Are you planning on extended (months instead of weeks) stays in one or more location? Is this a winter home somewhere and then back to base during the summer? There are single women in the RV world?

Sorry had to throw that last one in. Me and Jasper are heading out in Sep to do the full time snowbird thing in AZ. Just nice to know I might find a dance partner somewhere

Consider the use. When I first started looking into this, I checked out a friends TT, a 24 footer. Front bedroom/bath, no slides. It was very nice and compact, but even for just me and my little guy I didn't think there was enough room. I ended up with a fifth wheel (in my Sig) and a truck to tow it. The cost of both was less that any used class A I could find in my price range and I never cared for the class B at all. The class C made me feel like a turtle driving down the road

A neighbor just bought a used TT 28" with one slide that's something I would have considered had I seen it first. In the end, a 5th wheel tows much better than a trailer.

For a trailer, consider what vehicle you may need to tow it. Do some research on towing loads and safety considerations, tires, maintenance costs.

The go have some fun!

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote