Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2021, 11:37 AM   #1

Best Hot Spot

I have a hot spot now and love it, but I am in need of a new one. I want to be able to use it in the home and on the road. Does anyone have a favorite? I have no idea which one to purchase. I have AT&T plan right now and this works great for me. I would like to continue with that plan but will change if necessary. I pay $50.00 a month for my internet. Would like to stay in that range. Thank you for any help!!
Old 08-15-2021, 12:22 PM   #2

Lots of options. I use the Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 with a MIMO antenna. Relatively cheap, works on AT&T, Verizon, T-mobil, Visible and others. Doesn’t require a battery..just use any usb port. Far superior to the Netgear Unite or the Verizon 8800.

https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Night...s%2C182&sr=8-3
Old 08-16-2021, 06:41 AM   #3

Smile

The Netgear Nighthawk is the one I wanted to purchase but I read the reviews on Amazon and it said that it did not work with AT&T. Now these reviews were from 2019 so I don't know if it works now or not. Do you by chance use AT&T for your internet? Thank you for your help!
Old 08-16-2021, 06:49 AM   #4

I'm using a spare iPhone with Visible. I am up to 100gb of download in one month and it hasn't throttled my download speed, so it seems to truly be unlimited high speed. $25 a month.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyD View Post
The Netgear Nighthawk is the one I wanted to purchase but I read the reviews on Amazon and it said that it did not work with AT&T. Now these reviews were from 2019 so I don't know if it works now or not. Do you by chance use AT&T for your internet? Thank you for your help!
The Nighthawk definitely will work with AT&T. I have “grandfathered” hotspot only plans with AT&T and Verizon and switch the SIM cards to match the best service for whatever area I happen to be located.

If you want it to work with a phone plan then you have to access the APN settings within the device, but keep in mind doing that is against the plan terms of service and can result in cancellation by the phone provider.

There are several nice devices that will accept two plan SIM cards but I don’t think their price ($500 and up) is worth it. Besides, if you order from Amazon and find it won’t work with your plan just return it.