Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2022, 08:52 AM   #1

Best Mod I've done

I have done so many mods to my rig I can't remember them all, most go unseen and just work. The best I have ever done was last month when I added a small battery operated clock with large red numerals to the bedroom. I mounted it high on the door frame between the bathroom and bedroom. It auto dims at night and allows me to wake up and view the time without the glaring white light from the iPhone. Best mode I have done. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:15 AM   #2

That sounds like a nice addition to the RV. By battery operated, do you mean it runs off the RV’s 12 volt battery(ies), or the clock’s internal battery? In my search, I found no brightly illuminated, self contained battery clocks as their battery life would be very short.
Old 11-26-2022, 09:46 AM   #3

Lots of solutions. Simplest for me is my Tritium illuminated wrist watch. Works at home or hotels too.

-- Chuck
Old 11-26-2022, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
That sounds like a nice addition to the RV. By battery operated, do you mean it runs off the RV’s 12 volt battery(ies), or the clock’s internal battery? In my search, I found no brightly illuminated, self contained battery clocks as their battery life would be very short.

this is run by double A batteries. Like I said it my best mod yet or maybe the most useful. Here is the link
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IAXYPE0...JT5YBF49A2PNC5
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:23 PM   #5
New to FR. Old to TT

Clock

We found a table clock that uses a USB plug and has a projected time on the ceiling. I just added a 12volt USB plug to the wall by our dresser and it shines on the ceiling above our bed with red numbers. We wr move i leave it pluged in and just put the clock in one of the drawers so it won't lose the time when we set up again.
Tall frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:47 PM   #6

Our best mod was a battery monitor.

Anytime I feel curious mine displays voltage plus a graph of what happened to the battery since we started the trip. Plus it warns me when to run the generator. Built in alarms for when I forget. Talks to my phone.

Cost $40. Ten minute installation.

Wife discovered Harvest Hosts. We are disconnected more often. Really liberating! Spent a week in the desert north of Moab. Plenty of power. Ran the generator each afternoon. DW ran the convection oven and I watched the news.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:05 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Our best mod was a battery monitor.

Anytime I feel curious mine displays voltage plus a graph of what happened to the battery since we started the trip. Plus it warns me when to run the generator. Built in alarms for when I forget. Talks to my phone.

Cost $40. Ten minute installation.

Wife discovered Harvest Hosts. We are disconnected more often. Really liberating! Spent a week in the desert north of Moab. Plenty of power. Ran the generator each afternoon. DW ran the convection oven and I watched the news.
Care to share a link to the monitor?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:02 AM   #8

Do not know where to get a link. Amazon BM2 battery monitor. $30.

I installed mine in the fuse panel. Thus, when the disconnect is off so is the monitor. Unlike a car battery installation.

Watch the video. The 31 day graph is valuable.

The thing is really good at teaching you about batteries. Reading a voltmeter in a car battery is tricky! The majority who post with issues post goofy readings.

Many like the fancy shunt models. They are good at teaching amps in and out. But, pricey. Vitron?
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:34 AM   #9

My pixel 7 has a "bed mode" that dims the whole phone to a dull black and white and even records your snoring habits. Just an fyi for anyone else that dislikes the glaring ultra bright phones. Good clock idea!
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Do not know where to get a link. Amazon BM2 battery monitor. $30.

I installed mine in the fuse panel. Thus, when the disconnect is off so is the monitor. Unlike a car battery installation.

Watch the video. The 31 day graph is valuable.

The thing is really good at teaching you about batteries. Reading a voltmeter in a car battery is tricky! The majority who post with issues post goofy readings.

Many like the fancy shunt models. They are good at teaching amps in and out. But, pricey. Vitron?

Maybe this one? If so, they have a 10% coupon in the listing now too.

Battery Monitor BM2 BM3 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Battery Tester 12V Automotive Battery Load Tester,Automotive Charging and Cranking System Monitor Digital Battery Analyzer for Android & iOS https://a.co/3PLWFje

There's also this one that looks very similar. $25.99 plus a 20% coupon.

Battery Monitor BM2 for Car RV 12V Battery/Antigravity Batteries with Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Battery Sense Tester Battery Load Tester Compatible with iPhone Apple Android Phone Free App https://a.co/3gq44Wl
Old 12-08-2022, 08:18 PM   #11

Favorite Mod/s

Ive done so many that I cannot remember them all without going out to the camper...........so I asked DW what her favorite mod is.

She said the three shelves I built and installed so they fold away when not in use. They are made of Cherry wood with a Mahogany border.

1. A coffee cup stand next to her recliner/rocker,
2. One on the end of the counter to mount our Coffee Maker and Tea Kettle
3. A third fold away shelf in a corner cabinet in the bedroom that she uses as a makeup table every morning.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:54 AM   #12

Just what I been wanting. Thank You SeaDog!!
razzle408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:41 AM   #13
Site Team

My best mod turned out to be pretty simple but I would not have thought of it. It was my wife's idea.
From the factory our bathroom door opened out towards the kitchen area. This meant that if the door was open- it blocked the fridge completely.
We like having the door open because there is a sky lite and window in the bathroom and it just makes the trailer feel more open and brighter.

I was thinking how hard it would be to turn hinges and latches around and the door casing would be wrong too..... my dear wife says "can't you just flip it??" My brain is struggling to get around that idea but the more I looked the more it made total sense.
I pulled the door off and set it aside. I pulled the left and right door frames off. They are plastic and came off pretty easily. Then I flipped them top to bottom and re- installed them on the same sides they were but just upside down. Now I flipped the door upside down and rehung it.
The entire process took about 30 minutes and it works great!
Standing in the kitchen facing the door- the hinges are still on the left but now the door swings into the bathroom which only blocks a linen closet.

Women think outside the box and that's a good thing most of the time!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:48 AM   #14

This is the clock we use. hito 9.5” Large Digital Battery Atomic Alarm Clock Had a hard time finding a place in our 2608BS but found a spot on the wall that works for us. We remove it between trips and also take out the batteries.
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
My best mod turned out to be pretty simple but I would not have thought of it. It was my wife's idea.
From the factory our bathroom door opened out towards the kitchen area. This meant that if the door was open- it blocked the fridge completely.
We like having the door open because there is a sky lite and window in the bathroom and it just makes the trailer feel more open and brighter.

I was thinking how hard it would be to turn hinges and latches around and the door casing would be wrong too..... my dear wife says "can't you just flip it??" My brain is struggling to get around that idea but the more I looked the more it made total sense.
I pulled the door off and set it aside. I pulled the left and right door frames off. They are plastic and came off pretty easily. Then I flipped them top to bottom and re- installed them on the same sides they were but just upside down. Now I flipped the door upside down and rehung it.
Standing in the kitchen facing the door- the hinges are still on the left but now the door swings into the bathroom which only blocks a linen closet.

It seems your door handle would now significantly higher off the floor than it was before.

How did you deal with that, or did you simply leave it higher?
Old 12-09-2022, 08:59 AM   #16
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post

I did the exact same mod to the bathroom door in,our Georgetown years ago.
I can remember pulling off the plastic frames like you mention. I did have to change mounting the towel bar when I flipped our door.

In the end, it allowed us to then have a version of an ensuite when the open bathroom door created a privacy wall to the bathroom direct. It was one of our best mods…….her idea, my execution.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #17

Not sure which of these is my best mod but I was pretty proud of both of these.

First is where I bought a wall mount oscillating fan and attached it to a board and a TV bracket for my outside TV mount. It's pretty nice to have the oscillation and the fan off the ground. I went with the Hurricane Wall Mount Fan - 16 Inch. I was also able to get it for $82 which was awesome.

Second is a water tank gauge. I hate the factory tank gauge with the F - 2/3 - 1/3 - E readings. Would have loved to do the SeeLevel tank monitor but didn't want to have to get to the tanks. I used the Topargee Surface Mount Water Tank Gauge H2F-SM which goes inline with your water tank before your water pump. I set it to liters so I get a little more detail. Now when I have 102L remaining I know I have 1/2 tank where the factory gauge will tell me I have 1/3. Now I rest easier when having to use the water tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	282152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	282153  
Old 12-09-2022, 10:08 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
It seems your door handle would now significantly higher off the floor than it was before.

How did you deal with that, or did you simply leave it higher?

The door handle is only about an inch higher than before. Not even noticeable. Remember RV doors are slightly shorter than standard in-house doors. This reduces the change in height if/when you flip the door. (The door knob is closer to center in an RV.)
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grege View Post
Not sure which of these is my best mod but I was pretty proud of both of these.

Second is a water tank gauge. I hate the factory tank gauge with the F - 2/3 - 1/3 - E readings. Would have loved to do the SeeLevel tank monitor but didn't want to have to get to the tanks. I used the Topargee Surface Mount Water Tank Gauge H2F-SM which goes inline with your water tank before your water pump. I set it to liters so I get a little more detail. Now when I have 102L remaining I know I have 1/2 tank where the factory gauge will tell me I have 1/3. Now I rest easier when having to use the water tank.
Really like the idea of this flow meter type gauge. How did you determine the actual gallons in a full tank? Only way I could see to be accurate would be to fill it full, then pump it out.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Really like the idea of this flow meter type gauge. How did you determine the actual gallons in a full tank? Only way I could see to be accurate would be to fill it full, then pump it out.
Yeah I thought the same thing. I added this right at the end of last season so I just went with what the factory said for my camper and converted it to liters. I thought the same as you about filling and pumping it out or I do have a water meter I use when filling so could do that. I'm not worried about it being perfect. BTW, if you have the shower miser you have to add it between the tank and the shower miser return line.