Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #1

Best RV Portable Waste Tank for the Most Comfortable Road Trips 2019

I was reading the thread on the Campco/Rhino Waste Water tote and came across this.

I have Number 3 but its a 42 gallon with air filled rear wheels. I only use it for grey water. It pulls with the handle hooked to the hitch. There is a problem though as it sits higher then my drain on the TT. Emptying can a little tricky also because of the design it holds water, not much but still. I have to tip it at an angle to get to to completely empty. I do not think I would use for black water.

https://www.rvweb.net/best-rv-portable-waste-tanks/
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #2

...what is the difference between using it only for gray water, versus black water?

isn't that what it's for? what then, do you do with the black water? : / hmmmmm...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #3

A full 42 gallon portable waste tank weighs approximately 300 lbs.
Besides moving it, how would you tip it to dump it?
Losing control of the contents would be a disaster.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #4

Thanks for the input, I get what you're saying and have been looking at tanks as well. If the grey water doesn't completely drain out, the black won't either. I also would need the tank primarily for grey water. I'm not retired yet, and our longest trips are a week. We don't fill the black tank in a week, but would fill the grey in about 3 days. Our camping tends to be state parks w/ electric only sites and dump station available, so everything gets dumped on the way out.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
A full 42 gallon portable waste tank weighs approximately 300 lbs.
Besides moving it, how would you tip it to dump it?
Losing control of the contents would be a disaster.
you don't tip it to dump it. It has a gate valve on the side just like your trailer. hook up your short drain hose that comes with the tote and pull the gate valve open. It don't get much simpler than that. Put in some water when empty to rinse.lgift the front to drain. Done.

Been using my 42 for 2 years now. That's 2 summers 24/7 for 4 months. No problems yet.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
Thanks for the input, I get what you're saying and have been looking at tanks as well. If the grey water doesn't completely drain out, the black won't either. I also would need the tank primarily for grey water. I'm not retired yet, and our longest trips are a week. We don't fill the black tank in a week, but would fill the grey in about 3 days. Our camping tends to be state parks w/ electric only sites and dump station available, so everything gets dumped on the way out.

Thank you that is exactly what I am saying. I did think it was too hard to understand but then...

Like you, we both work also and do not fill the black water tank in a week either but grey only takes a couple of days.

When it gets low enough I lift the front to allow more to drain out.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
I was reading the thread on the Campco/Rhino Waste Water tote and came across this.

I have Number 3 but its a 42 gallon with air filled rear wheels. I only use it for grey water. It pulls with the handle hooked to the hitch. There is a problem though as it sits higher then my drain on the TT. Emptying can a little tricky also because of the design it holds water, not much but still. I have to tip it at an angle to get to to completely empty. I do not think I would use for black water.

https://www.rvweb.net/best-rv-portable-waste-tanks/
Same problem with mine. It requires a little thinking outside the box. I hook up the drain hose, pull the gate valve, fill the hose, pick up the hose at the TT end and walk the hose hand over hand to the tote so it drains into the tote. Lay the hose on the ground. Wait for it to fill and repeat until the black tank is empty. Close the gate valve and go dump the tote.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #8

I think that you don't have to 'calculate' your usage and try to manage a single tank that will handle that amount, since the larger the unit the more difficult it is to manage, to move, to transport, etc...

our 15gal variety works just fine, and I just dump it everyday... it's part of my routine.

the best advice, though, when filling a container, is to make sure the secondary 'air inlet' is opened, and that you stop the transfer well before it is approaching the top, as what's still in the hose also has to be let in also...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
Always Learning

No tank for me. I like my sewer bladder. It sits in the truck bed and I use a macerator to pump up into it. 100g and stores in a space smaller than a 40 gallon tote.

Better than a turd hearse- a sewer bladder | Learn To RV
Old 03-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
No tank for me. I like my sewer bladder. It sits in the truck bed and I use a macerator to pump up into it. 100g and stores in a space smaller than a 40 gallon tote.

Better than a turd hearse- a sewer bladder | Learn To RV

I see this as a Robin Williams event complete with popcorn and lawn chairs if I build something like this and try to empty it the first time.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #11

How many gallons is your TT black tank and your grey tank. If they are less than the 42 gal tote, then the height difference might not be an issue if say you can get 30 gallons of black water in a 42gal tote.I used to have a low trailer What a PITA! It was a single axle trailer and EZ-PASS would count my dump handles as a second axle.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #12

I have to tip mine alittle also "AT THE END of the dump. Don't try tipping while its still mostly full. Just the way it is'
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pedrick View Post
How many gallons is your TT black tank and your grey tank. If they are less than the 42 gal tote, then the height difference might not be an issue if say you can get 30 gallons of black water in a 42gal tote.I used to have a low trailer What a PITA! It was a single axle trailer and EZ-PASS would count my dump handles as a second axle.

I am sorry but this is too funny.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
I see this as a Robin Williams event complete with popcorn and lawn chairs if I build something like this and try to empty the first time.
Oh, a couple of us have stories... one day, around a , ask me about the Albuquerque incident.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pedrick View Post

Grey water is 28 gallons I believe. I saw one TT with same problem and the guy used a gutter with sewer supports to hold up the gutter. It essentially ran from the GW drain to the tank making it easier to empty the hose

Tags
tank