Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #1

Best tires for my 5er

What are the best tires money can buy for my 2017 FR Wild Cat Maxx. After reading about blow outs and seeing a couple unfortunate soles along side the highway I'm now convinced to replace the factory tires after 7000 miles. I have spoken with several different tire companies and as expected theirs are the best and every other brand is crap. I would appreciate your feed back.
tbeattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #2

I have no idea but I will be interested in the responses. Our 5er will be one year old soon and before we hit the road for another trip I am thinking of changing our OEM's.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #3

A lot of folks switch to LT tires, if possible. If you want to stay with ST, then MAXXIS M8008, or Carlisle, would be your best bet. At least that is the consensus in my travel group.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #4
"On the road again"

My recommendation would be American-made Goodyear Endurance. I put them on my fiver the day after we brought it home from the dealer.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #5
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

This will be very opinionated.
To start you should list the size tires that are on there now.

I run LT tires. That's also what my friends/family run on their 5ers and have never had a blow out running an LT tire.
Good luck with your choice.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeattie View Post
What are the best tires money can buy for my 2017 FR Wild Cat Maxx. After reading about blow outs and seeing a couple unfortunate soles along side the highway I'm now convinced to replace the factory tires after 7000 miles. I have spoken with several different tire companies and as expected theirs are the best and every other brand is crap. I would appreciate your feed back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck1032 View Post
I have no idea but I will be interested in the responses. Our 5er will be one year old soon and before we hit the road for another trip I am thinking of changing our OEM's.

This has been an extensive & vigorous debate on this forum for quite some time. There are all kinds of opinions both personal preference and specific application requirements. So, depending on what YOUR specific application is will dictate your choice of new tire.

Do a search in the above search box and get ready for some heavy reading.....and give yourself about a week to get through it all.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 PM   #7

Everyone has their favorite. I run Maxxis 8008's. Maxxis or Sailun are at the top of the food chain IMO. I've never been a fan of Goodyear but that's me. Many, many, many discussions about tires on the forum. Did I mention many?
gpaw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #8

My DW and I started into our first cross country trip and 97 miles into the trip we had a tire blow. Luckily it was the side of the tire and we had a tire monitor. We experienced no damage from the blowout. We replaced all four tires with Carlisle tires. The factory tires had about 7,500 miles on them. When I replaced the tires I was made aware of another tire that was about to go soon. That tire would have caused some damage.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeattie View Post

If your trailer has 15" wheels you're going to have to stick with ST tires because there are no LT tires with enough load capacity to match or exceed the load capacity the 15" ST tires provide.

In all probability, the newer ST tires will have better quality. The market is saturated with ST tires of all sizes and numerous brand names normally unknown to new buyers. When browsing around look for brands that have improved their quality with newer materials and safeguards. Review their warranty coverage and for how long. Some warrant coverage's start at time of purchase, others start at time of manufacturer (shown on the tire sidewall).

The industry recognizes LT tires as being designed for automotive services. Some of them have RST (Regional Service Trailer) on their sidewalls, those are acceptable replacements for ST tires. Others may not, and will have no warranty coverage's when used on RV trailer axles. That will depend on what design the trailer manufacturer used when building your trailer.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:02 AM   #10

I think the question should be what’s the best tire for me as everyone has a opinion. On my Cedar Creek I run Goodyear G614 and probably have 40,000 miles or more on the tires and no problems and tires look like new and I sometimes run 75mph or better. But the tires are not cheap. I also have TST 507 TPMS on the tires, I keep the tires checked
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:31 AM   #11
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeirlessr View Post
My DW and I started into our first cross country trip and 97 miles into the trip we had a tire blow. Luckily it was the side of the tire and we had a tire monitor. We experienced no damage from the blowout. We replaced all four tires with Carlisle tires. The factory tires had about 7,500 miles on them. When I replaced the tires I was made aware of another tire that was about to go soon. That tire would have caused some damage.
I ran Carlisle for many years and overall was very happy with them. However TWICE I had failures with them that caused damage to our trailer. The first time the tread came off completely but I didn't know it and never lost pressure. When I was setting up at the RV park I noticed there was zero tread - checked the pressure and it was still exactly where it should be. But - damage to the sheet metal.

Second time it was nasty. Huge blow-out and about $2,000 damage to sheet metal and plastic wheel covering.

That's when I started my conversion to Endurance and as previously stated when I got our new fiver immediately replaced the Marathons with Endurance. No regrets.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:31 AM   #12

I went with Hercules LT tires.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:39 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Here's another vote for the Goodyear Endurance.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:41 AM   #14

Maxxis 8008's on two different 5thwheels w/ no tire woes of any sort. Also our DD's 38 ' Keystone TT runs on Maxxis w/ no tire woes.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #15

I run the Goodyear G614's on my 5'r. As a former professional CDL A driver, I have been able to pick out what I feel are quality tires vs. tires good enough to get by. When I bought my 5'r last year, it had nearly new Westlake ST tires, and when I watched their behavior during slow maneuvers, I was not impressed to say the least. When shopping for new tires, I could not find any availability of a Sailun tires even though they were my first choice based on conversations in other RV forums. But I was able to find a decent price on the Goodyear G614's. I am very pleased with the affect of having these tires installed. The 5'r trails much straighter, is much more stable during backing and the tires are overall (estimating of course) about double the weight of the Westlake tires. My rims are rated for 110psi, so installing a tire that is capable of 110psi only makes sense. I run my tires at 105psi. While I will only drive 65mph when towing, it is comforting to know the tires are rated to 75mph. A built in margin of safety there. As others have mentioned, there are a ton of threads out there regarding tires. Do your due diligence and research the possibilities for your needs. Look at your rims to find out the max PSI your rims are rated for and make an informed decision based on your specific circumstances.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #16

to spock123: do you really have 40,000 miles on your goodyear g614's? how old are the tires? what pressure to you inflate them to? I have 614's on our 5th wheel and run them at 110 psi. I generally drive at 65mph but of course there will brieg (not sustained periods) where I exceed that (ie downhill, passing). I keep uv covers on the tires when stored. is there anything you can look for on the tires to see if they need to be replaced. my tires look fine (at least from what I can see). the tread wear is even and does not show any feathering or cupping. the tires have a manufacturing date of 2013 and on the 5th wheel when we bought in it early 2015. I read about people replacing tires every three years or so. i really do not what tire problems when on a trip. the g614's are not cheap but if they will last 40,000 miles (even 20,000 miles) they will be less expensive than just automatically replacing tires every three years. from everything i have read these are good tires that should last if cared for. just wondering what you did to get all those miles.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #17
Dr Travel

Goodyear is Best

Okay, about 18 months ago, Goodyear introduced a tire specifically designed for RV trailers/fivers.

I replaced mine a month ago. Fantastic tires. Designed and made in the good old USA - about $120 each installed. Very tough, very well built. Amazing!!

Highly recommend. Beats everything else on the road. Enduro is the brand. Do a google search then order direct from Goodyear, prepaid and shipped to your nearest dealer. I got mine done in 60 minutes flat. Terrific!! Peace of mind is amazing...

robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #18
Dr Travel

They are branded Goodyear Endure tires. Order direct from Goodyear and delivered to dealer nearest you prepaid including install.
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #19

This can of beans have been opened so many times you will never get the right answer. Always go at least a class higher,if your trailer calls for c rates tires go with a d . Run TPMS to monitor pressure and heat . Dont make over sharp turns, especially when backing it can over stress sidewalls. Put uv protecting spray like tire shine on. Just maintain your tires constantly and you should be fine. Check date of manufacturing, i change mine at 5 years. I have 8700 miles on my 8 month old trailer king with no problems .
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsshots View Post
Okay, about 18 months ago, Goodyear introduced a tire specifically designed for RV trailers/fivers.

I replaced mine a month ago. Fantastic tires. Designed and made in the good old USA - about $120 each installed. Very tough, very well built. Amazing!!

Highly recommend. Beats everything else on the road. Enduro is the brand. Do a google search then order direct from Goodyear, prepaid and shipped to your nearest dealer. I got mine done in 60 minutes flat. Terrific!! Peace of mind is amazing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsshots View Post
They are branded Goodyear Endure tires. Order direct from Goodyear and delivered to dealer nearest you prepaid including install.
Let's get a couple things cleared up...
They are Goodyear Endurance tires not Enduro or Endure.
They were announced in January of 2017, (10 months ago not 18) at the 2017 Customer Conference in Orlando, FL.

GOODYEAR LAUNCHES AMERICAN-MANUFACTURED TRAILER TIRE

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er, tire, tires