Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #1

Red face BEWARE I-15 Beaver UT Flying J/Sporty's To Go Tire/Auto Shop

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE

Stopped at Flying J Truck Stop in Beaver, Utah for fuel several weeks ago.
After fueling our 2014 Berkshire 390RB and prior to departing the pumps, a person wearing a Goodyear shirt with the name “Brian” on it approached my driver’s side window in a golf cart and shouted up to me in a very alarming manner, “Sir, have you taken a good look at your front tire recently? I think you might want to turn your tire to the right and come out here and take a look at it.” I got out of the motor home and met him at the front driver’s side tire.
At this point, he (“Brian”) stated emphatically,” As I’m sure you know driving a motor home this size, you have a very dangerous tire. If you don’t get that taken care of right away, it’s gonn'a certainly cause a very serious situation by blowing out which could lead to death. As you can see here, there is ‘rivering’ on the inside of the tire. See here—the tread is starting to come apart and if it stretches any further, this tire will blow for sure. You know Goodyear tires are known for this sort thing and I’m not sure why they continue to sell them for RV’s.”
“Brian” then asked me to pull around to the side of the multi-bay tire and auto service center (about 25 feet from the fuel pumps). The name on the tire/auto service center was “Sporty’s To Go”. “Brian” then put air jacks under the motor home and lifted the coach off the ground. “Brian” then proceeded to reiterate not only was the driver’s side tire in “extreme” peril but he stated so was the passenger side tire. I was stunned and shocked hearing this but I told myself this was coming from an individual who presented himself as an expert in the tire/auto service business.
After hearing the emphatic and major safety issues which “Brain” pointed out to us, he told me I needed two new tires—and I consented. After all, “Brian” presented himself as an expert. "Brian" never presented me a written estimate nor any other paperwork. He told me how many years he had been in business at this tire/service center at the Flying J and how many bad tires he had seen due to owners not paying attention to such an important component of motor homes or travel trailers. At the time, my wife heard most of this conversation with “Brian”.
At this point, my wife and I began to discuss how lucky we were that “Brain” had spotted these defects in both tires. We both said a prayer of “thanks” to God that by stopping at this particular Flying J in Beaver UT and having the encounter with “Brian”, our lives most likely had been spared and our vacation not turned into a disaster.
As “Brian” began to remove the original Goodyear tires, he noticed my U.S.M.C. Viet Nam Combat Veteran license plate holder. “Since we value people like you so much for the service and sacrifice you have made for our country, I’m not going to charge you for the labor or the ‘bean bag’ balancing that usually cost about $120 per tire.” At this point, I thanked “Brian” and asked him what kind (brand) of tire he would be replacing my Goodyear tires with. He told me, "Cooper Tires" (and rattled off the numbers for the tires). I said to him, “I didn’t’ realize that Cooper made tires for motor homes (especially like ours----forty feet long and weighing almost 32,000 pounds)”. “Cooper tires are excellent RV tires," he replied. “They have been around a long time and the ones I have are specifically for RV motor homes. You're lucky I have them in stock.” I asked him how much each tire would cost and he told me, "About $629 each."
Very little conversation was exchanged as “Brian” and his assistant worked on the tires. As “Brian” put on the second passenger front tire, I asked him why the Cooper name wasn’t on the tire—just all the number/letter designations. “Oh, the Cooper name isn’t on there but their model number is. It’s called the "GT 279". The brand name Cooper tires was mentioned by “Brian” no less than a dozen times during our conversations as being the brand name of the tires he was placing on our motor home. Since the engine wasn't running and it was about 100 F outside, the front door of the motor home in front of the passenger's seat was open, thus allowing my wife to hear the entire conversation I was having with "Brian".
After about an hour, the two front tires were on the motor home and we were ready to go. However, “Brian” made his way to the rear of our motor home. He “inspected” all 4 of the tires (two tires on each side of the motor home) and looked at me, shook his head. “I’m afraid you have the same thing going on with the inner tires of your duels. As you well know (and I acknowledged) you can’t mix tires so you really need to replace all four back here. I know this is going to cost a lot but as I mentioned before—I’m not gonn’a charge you for labor or the bean bag balances.” ‘Member, I’m cutting you a real break on this job”. At this point, I asked him how much the whole job would now cost—for all 6 tires. He went into his little office area and came back with a written “quote” for a total of $4,440. "You are really lucky that I have four more in stock", "Brian" said to me. He then wrote something on a work sheet. The only thing on the work order was my name, address (which I gave him) and one set of numbers that “Brian” represented countless times as Cooper tires (brand name “GT 279”). I signed the work order. At this point, “Brian” said, “Very smart move.”
As the original Goodyear tires were being removed and the “Cooper” tires were being installed, I asked “Brian” if he knew what the P.S.I. (pounds per square inch) rating was for the Cooper brand. He replied, “What are you running now?” I told him that Goodyear recommended, based on my motor home’s weight of 32,000 pounds, 105 PSI on the front two tires and 95 PSI on the rear four tires. “Good. That’s what we’ll put in these tires then.”
About an hour and a half later, the rear four tires had been replaced and the job completed. At this point, I gave “Brian” my AMEX Platinum card and signed the charge slip. “Brian” walked out with me to the motor home and said, “Well, this sure was your lucky day. Could have turned out a lot worse. It was sure a good thing I just happened to be passing by you when I did. Good luck.” We left the tire shop and headed towards Las Vegas (283 miles away) the temperature was approaching 115 degrees and even hotter in Las Vegas.
Conclusion after two day investigation following call to Cooper Tire to verify PSI and numerous other calls to Freightliner etc
1) The tires WERE NOT Cooper Tires as stated to me numerous times.
2) The tires were manufactured by G.I.T.I. in China.
3) The tires were 14 ply and NOT the required 18 ply--as I was assured they were.
4) The tires had a weight limit of 3,200 each NOT the 6,500 required by the Freightliner chassis.
5) Tire experts concluded we were lucky to make it to Las Vegas (283 miles) on the 14 ply tires given the 115+ outside temperature and my coach's weight.
6) The "safety" issue with my original Goodyear tires was non-existent nor did they require "immediate" attention. We were actually put in worse and more immediate danger with the tires placed on our unit by "Brian" that day.
7) The "history" of this business goes back at least 6 years. This company has operated from the same location under it's current name in addition to: "Gomers" and "Gomers and Goobers".
8) This business was fined $10,000 in 2015 for fraudulent business practices.
9) American Express agreed with all the background information we submitted in defense of this rip-off and WILL NOT be paying this business the $4,42 for the fraudulent and unsafe tires placed on our motor home.
10) Thanks to Ted Wiens Commercial Tire Service on Wigwam in Las Vegas for getting/installing the correct Goodyear tires for us.
11) Additional information about this establishment can be found at: Ripoff Report (numerous reports); Salt Lake City Tribune;; Forest River Forum; Salt Lake City Better Business Bureau and Utah Consumer Protection Agency. Just search "M.A.D.D.", "Gomers" or "Gomers and Goobers" Beaver UT.

We were vulnerable, trusting and naive--that will not happen again! We were lucky this time.

Please spread the word about this experience as well as the past history of this business location so no further unsuspecting, trusting owners become a victim as we did. I have brought this to the attention of the Utah BBB, the Utah Consumer Protection Agency as well as submitted it to the Salt Lake City/Cedar City/St. George newspapers for any appropriate action they deem necessary.
osu65bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #2

"For crying out loud" Can't people be trusted anymore? This Brian character needs a good ole .....you know what!

Glad you guys are safe.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #3

Thank you for sharing this information. I know you are probably kicking yourself (hind sight is a great thing as they say), so no need to point out what you probably think is the obvious now. I've learned over the years to go with my gut when something doesn't sound or feel right. I'm glad to hear you got the rip-offs replaced and did not have an accident.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #4

That's outright fraud and the guy should be arrested!

rebellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #5

I would be making a nightly return trip. I'll leave it to your imagination what the outcome might be.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments. Of course the money is a major issue here but my overriding concern is for the safety of other RVer's that might fall victim to this place or others like it. In the past, this place has ripped off TT folks as well with the same scam.
You're correct MOD Guy--instinct is sometimes the only way to go.
BTW, the correct amount for the fraudulent tires was $4,042.39--just to be accurate.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #7

He's going to be upset when he receives that chargeback. Did you contact that place back?
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #8

Thanks for the information. Thank the good Lord you made it safely.
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #9

Safe

Glad you guys are safe. What comes around goes around. I'm sure he will get his sooner or later.
Only here once - do it baby!
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #10

I would also send what you wrote here to the CEO of Flying J. Let them know that they have a rip off artist doing business at that truck stop. This will give that whole truck stop a bad name. If Flying J owns the property, they could be sued if anything happened.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #11

Thanks for the detailed info! My German wife Gerda and I have RVd across the states twice the past 2 years Coast to Coast and back! Scam artists abound and all appear to be honest but will take you to the cleaners in a heart beat! After 30 years of Active Duty and moves nearly every 2 years, we get it! Another recommendation! Get the word out and recommend not doing business with that Flying J either! They probably have some sort of split on the take! Dan
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #12

Not only refer the problem to flying J, but to Good Sam Club also. As they refer you to flying J and pilot as good places to go.
grandpamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #13

It is surprising that if they were fined in 2015 for fraudulent business practices, that Flying J would not have booted them out at that time.
Glad it is going to work out for you.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #14

I read this and shook my head. This practice has been going on throughout this part of the country UT, AZ, NV, CA) since before the Interstate system came through. All along the "Tourist Routes" guys like "Brian" have been even going so far as to cut fan belts and radiator hoses (using a razor blade taped to the side of a finger or using a specially made ring with a cutter on the inside where it can't be seen with a closed hand), put aspirin tablets in battery cells, spray oil on shock absorbers, or oil on the inside of a wheel and tire.

All of this done during the "courtesy service" performed while fueling the vehicle. When I first became associated with the Tire Business every once and a while I'd run across a guy who bragged about how much money he could make during "Tourist Season" by selling belts, hoses, shock absorbers, tires, brakes, and even axle seals. Since an aspirin tablet will cause a foaming action in a battery cell (sometimes they even would use a piece of a Rolaid tablet) naturally battery sales were lucrative.

Here's a simple cure. First, when in areas where there is lots of tourist traffic and you are approached by a guy like "Brian" just tell them you have everything under control and don't let them touch anything. If they point out something like the "river wear" (which is totally natural in almost all truck tires) just tell them "thanks, I'll have that looked at" and again, don't let them touch a thing.

This is a practice that has grown from paying employees a commission on their sales. To a true professional they will merely point out actual needs and make a good living on those sales. For guys like "Brian", they get bit by the "Greedy Bug" and do everything they can to lie their way into the sale of unnecessary products and services.

They get away with it because people often just say "Oh Well, lesson learned but there's nothing I can do about it now".

Always use a Credit Card and then once taken advantage of get charges reversed then file a complaint with the State AG Consumer Protection office. Chances are they already have a fine on all the "Brians" in the area and eventually some will end up in jail.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #15

Great to hear you did not have an accident on the installed tires. Pleased to see the $4K was charged back although unlikely he had near that much in substandard tires.
I agree, notify Flying J both the store general manager and corporate office. If Brian has a long term lease it is hard to say how much they can do though.
I'm betting Brian finds it healthier to only suggest safety concerns to those with out of state plates.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikersarge View Post
"For crying out loud" Can't people be trusted anymore? This Brian character needs a good ole .....you know what!

Glad you guys are safe.
"Brian" needs to be imprisoned for FRAUD!
Old 08-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #17
Site Team

There was this tire guy (I think in west Texas somewhere) who would show customers the little small beads that can form inside tires from silica from the manufacturing process and/or dirt rolling around. He would take these common small beads (that don't hurt anything) and explain that these were the droppings of rubber worms (since it does kind of look like that)

He would scare the customers into thinking their tires had small rubber worms infiltrating the rubber and the tires were about to blow out. After he sold them a new set of tires, he would then resell their perfectly good takeoffs.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
If Brian has a long term lease it is hard to say how much they can do though.
I would bet that "Brian" Lease" has a clause that it can be cancelled for any illegal activity on the premises.

Unfortunately, sometimes leases for "concessions" at large Truck Stops (and similar places) have a "Rental Rider" that calls for the concessionaire to pay a percentage of his monthly revenue to the Lessor, over and above the base rent.

If so, Flying J is profiting from his illegal activities. Managers of large facilities like this also get compensated on the basis of the unit's profitability. Since the Manager and Corporation are both benefiting there's little incentive for them to police people like "Brian"--------- That is unless the Attorney General of the State steps in and starts looking at financial statements.

Oh, as far as the "Better Business Bureau", I'll bet that "Brian" has a membership in that worthless organization.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Great to hear you did not have an accident on the installed tires. Pleased to see the $4K was charged back although unlikely he had near that much in substandard tires.
I agree, notify Flying J both the store general manager and corporate office. If Brian has a long term lease it is hard to say how much they can do though.
I'm betting Brian finds it healthier to only suggest safety concerns to those with out of state plates.

sounds like Brian got four good Goodyear's in exchange for the ones he put on the coach....
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #20

Great Comments/Suggestions

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. A number of them (like following up with Corporate Flying J/Pilot and Good Sam) are ones I hadn't thought of.
Regarding the "structure/relationship" of Sportys To Go and the Flying J--it's as "Good "ol Boy" as you can get.
Several years ago when Nate Caldwell from the Salt Lake Tribune exposed this scam, he also exposed all the people and cast of characters and their relationships--like the Mayor of Beaver owned the FLying J and both the tire operation and the Flying J are owned by one corporation in Beaver--headed by his brother-in-law!
Way too long to go into in this thread, so here's a link if you're interested that really lays it out:
Travelers stopped in Utah for gas, were scared into buying tires, state found - The Salt Lake Tribune
Bottom line is that only the State of Utah can really do anything about it and as you might guess--that has gone no where.
Oh--and no, I didn't contact this place---AMEX did that for me. I don't think they would have talked to me anyway---others have tried and no one answers the number on the invoice!!! Go figure!!

Tags
sport, tire