Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #1

Beware Of Buzzards

Last Tuesday I was camped on Lake Degray, AR along with three other buddies. Between 8am and 1pm while I was fishing buzzards swarmed the camp. There were so many buzzards on my trailer roof another camper called the sheriffs office thinking a dead body may be in the trailer. Sheriffs office responded and called Corps rangers. My site is closest to boat ramp and they recognized my truck on the ramp. Have been camped there since September 28. The buzzards destroyed my roof. Have ten places the size of saucer and plates where the ripped up the rubber roof membrane. All spots along the roof edges. Got one of my buddies almost as bad as me and three other trailers were damaged also.

Strange things seem to happen to me. Two years ago camped in the same site a tree limb went through the roof.

Insurance agent says damage is covered.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:11 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

WOW! What luck!

Glad it is covered by insurance. There was another post a while back where birds did the same ting to another members R/V.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:12 AM   #3

Since the common buzzard doesn’t even live in North America ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_buzzard ), what bird are you referring to as a buzzard? Are these turkey vultures, black vultures, or something else? I only ask because where I live in the midwest, we don’t call any local birds “buzzards”. Large birds here are generally hawks, eagles, turkey vultures, and owls.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #4

Think of the show of force as a precurser of things to come.[emoji33]
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:33 AM   #5

I wouldn't care what kind of bird, only that it ruined my roof.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Since the common buzzard doesn’t even live in North America ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_buzzard ), what bird are you referring to as a buzzard? Are these turkey vultures, black vultures, or something else? I only ask because where I live in the midwest, we don’t call any local birds “buzzards”. Large birds here are generally hawks, eagles, turkey vultures, and owls.
Oh dear, what difference does it make, heck, could have been sparrows for he cares. Picky, picky.
JimBath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:52 AM   #7

The*turkey vulture*(Cathartes aura), also known in some North American regions as the*turkey buzzard*(or just*buzzard),
For what it's worth, they have always been called buzzards in my area. Just a matter of semantics and doesn't really make any difference in this case.
Sorry to here of your bad luck and hope you can get it repaired quickly.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Where I live we call them buzzards.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
The*turkey vulture*(Cathartes aura), also known in some North American regions as the*turkey buzzard*(or just*buzzard),
For what it's worth, they have always been called buzzards in my area. Just a matter of semantics and doesn't really make any difference in this case.
Traded my 2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2902WS for a 2021 Rockwood Signature
8337RL. Dealer giving me undamaged trade price for damage trailer and the insurance check.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:46 PM   #10
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
X2! A Turkey Vulture is a Turkey Buzzard, and they're all over this continent.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:48 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wow, crazy story! My wife would have freaked out, she hates those things. Sometimes a dozen of them will hang out on my sticks and bricks roof. Unsettling.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:49 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Where I live we have a popular dam to photograph Bald Eagles. The Turkey Vultures are bad there and they will rip cars apart. They tear up wipers, roofs on RV, rubber trim and anything else. It is so bad they put up signs to warn the world. Worst par they are protected so you can not chase, harass or shoot them...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #13

A friend of mine had turkey buzzards rip up the roof on his trailer at a campground outside of Rehoboth Beach DE a few years ago.
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBath View Post
Oh dear, what difference does it make, heck, could have been sparrows for he cares. Picky, picky.
No. I’m not being picky. I am interested in knowing the type of bird I am advised to beware of. Thanks to tonyz1 for providing a more helpful answer. Now I know that we are talking about turkey vultures.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:28 PM   #15

Talking Might want to change sites

[QUOTE=RFSims;2651414]
Strange things seem to happen to me. Two years ago camped in the same site a tree limb went through the roof.

Sorry about the attack, sounds like something from Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds"! Glad you were able to turn lemons into lemonade with the TT swap. Good for you.

Just a thought, first a tree limb, then a buzzard attack, might want to consider changing camp sites to avoid the old "third times a charm" thing.

Hope you get lots of enjoyment from your new rig.

Paul & Sherida Hodel and Coco Chanel, the Chocolate Cockapoo and the family's prized possession!
New TT: 2021 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS, 570 watts of solar + 300 AH of Battle Borne lithium batteries.
TV: 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
GrandpaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:40 PM   #16

Quote:
No. I’m not being picky. I am interested in knowing the type of bird I am advised to beware of. Thanks to tonyz1 for providing a more helpful answer. Now I know that we are talking about turkey vultures.
Right. We're all here to learn. Also being from the midwest, I had no idea the OP was referring to what we call a turkey vulture. Learn something new every day.

OP, sorry this happened to you. Can you share some pics? Be sure to cover your roof until it's repaired. Often times additioanl damage after the incident isn't covered so it's your responsibility to protect it asap.

Good luck with the repair.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:48 PM   #17
Now a "Top Member"

Wow, that's crazy. They camped out in the undeveloped property next to my house (I own the property). It's full of nice big oaks and pines. There were hundreds of them in there. When they flew in the morning, it was like a thousand chainsaws going off all at once. They only stayed a couple of days, then migrated on to wherever they were going.

They are beautiful to watch flying and soaring in the sky. But that's about it. Well, maybe cleaning up the dead critter detritus also. But that's about it!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
Traded my 2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2902WS for a 2021 Rockwood Signature

8337RL. Dealer giving me undamaged trade price for damage trailer and the insurance check.
Hey, sounds like you worked that out fine and dandy! Now to figure out what the deal is with that campsite you've been going to! Lol!
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:32 AM   #19
Camping the Natural State

I live in Arkansas. Buzzards everywhere and illegal to shoot them because they are considered a 'raptor' !
Thankfully, we have 'nuisance animal' laws also !
We don't care what other people choose to call them. We call em buzzards so they're buzzards !