Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2020, 06:49 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
In respect to this I understand why symbols are used. The products are shipped worldwide. The symbols are the most efficient way of communicating in multiple languages. This keeps costs down.

Imagine the number of buttons/labels needed to identify the rewind button on an iPod if labels were used. I know buttons are no longer on iPods, but this is for illustrative purposes only. Plus I'm old enough to remember buttons on consumer products. I like them.
It wasn't an issue some years ago and shouldn't be an issue today.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #82
Site Team

Pics of both sides of a single pump!
I bought exactly what I wanted. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4874.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	241196
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4875.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	383.1 KB
ID:	241197

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #83

They're all so different now that I check and double check every time I fill up, especially since I have a gas car and diesel truck. Saw a photo somewhere else where all the gas selections were green, which is totally wrong.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:47 PM   #84
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Why should there be a standard? Why not read the label? What if a person is color blind and cannot distinguish the colors chosen for gas and diesel? What is so hard about reading the label?
You do realize that language itself is a standard?

Standards are what make communication possible. More and simpler standards make for better communication—and fewer mistakes.

Standards don’t necessarily mean more governmental rules. Most standards are defined by private groups. Standards that make sense are widely adopted. They do not need to be forced.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:41 PM   #85

There's nothing hard about reading the label, but standardizing the color would make it easier and safer. Look, I'm not on here to get into a debate about what's right or wrong. I'm just saying what I think, and I think standardization is a good thing; kinda like all stops signs being red.
vi11agep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
You do realize that language itself is a standard?

Standards are what make communication possible. More and simpler standards make for better communication—and fewer mistakes.

Standards don’t necessarily mean more governmental rules. Most standards are defined by private groups. Standards that make sense are widely adopted. They do not need to be forced.
I am very aware language being a standard. Instead of adding an additional standard why not use the existing one.

The point I am trying to make is we all need to accept responsibility for ourselves. Constantly finding ways to remove thought from our daily lives will probably not end well. I may be extra sensitive to this as I am in the middle of teaching personal responsibility to my 11 year old. Nothing is ever her fault.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #87

Just so handy to be a victim and have no accountability. If I ever negligently put the wrong fuel in a vehicle I'd be too embarrassed to post it publicly. It takes effort do do this, it doesn't happen accidentally.

-- Chuck
Old 10-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #88

Quote:
I am very aware language being a standard. Instead of adding an additional standard why not use the existing one.

The point I am trying to make is we all need to accept responsibility for ourselves. Constantly finding ways to remove thought from our daily lives will probably not end well. I may be extra sensitive to this as I am in the middle of teaching personal responsibility to my 11 year old. Nothing is ever her fault.
So true. We live in the world of not my fault, it's yours. There used to be a time when people did take responsibilities for their actions, I think that went away when they started handing out participation trophies. Trying to teach the same to my teens, you break it, you did it. Be responsible not just for yourself, and your actions, but for others as well.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:20 PM   #89

An old military man operated on the rule of the "7 P's."

That is: Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Pizz Poor Performance

Always thought that was a good rule.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:27 AM   #90
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:

No one who is advocating for stations following the existing de facto standard is not also advocating for personal responsibility. I am a huge fan of, “What can I do to ensure a better outcome next time?” This does not preclude systemic solutions.

Multiple checks reduce errors. Example: “The four safety rules.”
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:53 AM   #91

If you want to watch some funny events unfold, just sit at any gas station within 40 miles of Sturgis during rally week. You can watch all day long as folks push their bikes back after putting some diesel fuel in the gas tank.

My thought on this, if you aren't able to follow the instructions on a gas/fuel pump, I'm not sure how you navigate safely down the road. But accidents and mistakes happen, despite attention to detail. Learn and move on.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:02 AM   #92

One would think it would be easy to spot the Diesel hose, it is the gnarly gunky gooey one with the yellow film coated nozzle that emits a funky aroma.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
One would think it would be easy to spot the Diesel hose, it is the gnarly gunky gooey one with the yellow film coated nozzle that emits a funky aroma.
I like to think I'm always paying attention to detail but like someone already pointed out things still can happen. Years ago I was probably in a hurry, talking to a passenger, whatever the reason I had pulled into a station to fill up, entered my card pu the nozzle and was about to start pumping when all of what Bhrava stated stopped me before I started... That little birdy in my head went off gooey handle and smelly finally caught up to my senses just before I made that mistake. Put the nozzle back and started the process all over again this time paying attention and used the right one this time. This thread has me on high alert even moreso with my DP to avoid any of the costly mistakes I've heard in this thread so thanks to all for your stories. I, for one, will hopefully be very careful in the future.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (5 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #94
Site Team

I've never had a problem with the gas pumps but I'm terrified that one of these days I'm going to end up putting windshield washer fluid in my engine coolant overflow tank or vise versa.

On my vehicle they both have identical black caps with white tanks underneath them and look very, very similair. I always have to double-check the symbol on the cap to make sure I have the right one.

Coolant on the left, washer fluid on the right:
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:03 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I've never had a problem with the gas pumps but I'm terrified that one of these days I'm going to end up putting windshield washer fluid in my engine coolant overflow tank or vise versa.

On my vehicle they both have identical black caps with white tanks underneath them and look very, very similair. I always have to double-check the symbol on the cap to make sure I have the right one.

Purposely done by vehicle mfgrs to entice drivers to take their vehicles to the Stealerships for service, even of minor things.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
Purposely done by vehicle mfgrs to entice drivers to take their vehicles to the Stealerships for service, even of minor things.
And why they no longer have transmission dipsticks. Dealer service(or respectable transmission shop) only.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:39 AM   #97

Quote:
And why they no longer have transmission dipsticks. Dealer service(or respectable transmission shop) only.
Oxymoron alert!

I bet those places only hire tall midgets and honest lawyers....

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #98

Quote:
...Diesel should be green...
Like you said read the labels!!! I learned that in Florida.

In the panhandle in Florida there is a huge sign telling you of the BP station having diesel ahead. We were renting a diesel pusher first time. We pulled off at the station with the pump handle colored like you expect diesel. We start filling the tank with GAS keeping the genset running so the oxygen concentrator for my mother-in-law was running.

I looked and noticed how cheap the "diesel" was especially in the Florida panhandle. It was then I noticed there were only 3 fuel grades and not a "4th"...in other words no diesel. The BP up the road from here, the one that was on the sign, was the one with diesel not this one.

Shut everything down and spent the next 6 hours trying to get the tank drained and filled with diesel. According to the people at the station it happens 1 or more times a week, but usually the diesel has enough diesel to get it back on I-10 East before croaking. It is quite a cottage industry. Good news no damage, except to the pocket book, and putting us behind by a day.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:12 PM   #99

Quote:
Some automatic transmissions today "sealed units" so are remove and replace only ... non-repairable.

IIRC those are GM trannys.

Old 10-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #100
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

The one (on the left, as you say) with the plastic line going back to the radiator is the coolant. However, 30 seconds with a Magic Marker, either on the tanks themselves or on some duct tape attached to the tanks, might help to allay your fears.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, pump