Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #1

Bike rack issues

So we all know the thought on putting a bike rack on the bumper. I am wanting to know what unforeseen issues I may be facing by useing a double reciever adapter and putting my e2 wdh hitch in the bottom reciever and with some southern engineering putting a bike rack in the top one. I pull a 30' vlite. How would it affect the towing characteristics by using this adapter. I think it will extend the reciever back about 12-18 inches. Thanks for the info.
dilgerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Just make sure the receiver is actually designed to be used towing trailers. I don't believe Dual Hitch receivers are rated to tow trailers.

You could also consider a ball mount that has a receiver on top but the ones I have seen are limited to 750lbs tongue weight. But, then, I wasn't looking too hard either.

Let us know if you find something that will tow that much trailer and allow a bike rack.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #3

Double is a bad deal. If your e2 is a Fastway with trunnion head #FA92-00-1000 it has (2) cast holes in the top of the head.Have a bracket made to adapt a bike rack above this. This would be safe & stronger than the (Double) type and the hitch stays in the same place,not 12-18 in. back. If your e2 head is a round bar type #FA94-00-1000 forget the plan,diff.head. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Instead of using a double receiver adapter, how about mounting something like this around your hitch shank: ORIGINAL 3 TOWING | Swagman

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #5

A decent fabricator could make something that used the two large bolts that hold the head on. Either to a standard 2in style reciever or even a vertical reciever to keep the rack close to the truck.
2004 Explorer 4.6 awd (16 year old daughters car)
2009 Mazda 6 (wife's ride)
Bunkfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #6

Ok lots of good ideas there. After taking a closer look at the double reciever idea none that I have found are rated high enough and I think it would be too crowded between the tv and trailer to put a bike rack there anyway, even having a vertical reciever fabricated on the hitch. It's just too much in a already tight space. Can't do anything off the rear bumper. I hate the idea of hanging them on the rear ladder. Maybe it's just best to carry them inside the trailer somehow or leave em at home. Anyway thanks for everyone's input.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #7

what do you tow with? My friend has a real nice setup that mounts across the bedrails. It clamps the front forks and holds up to 4 bikes uprite, he also has a jackrabbit cover that closes under the system. I would be using it but the 5th wheel wont allow so I fabricated a hydraulic assist lowering pin box mount
2004 Explorer 4.6 awd (16 year old daughters car)
2009 Mazda 6 (wife's ride)
Bunkfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #8

2011 chev2500 hd that has a topper on the bed to carry all of our other camping crap. Nice try tho. Thanks
Old 03-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #9

I struggled with the same issue. I ended up buying a simple Dakine tailgate cover for my truck (which already has a tonneau cover) and hang up to 6 bikes safely on the tailgate. I can lock them up using a simple cable and the truck's tie-downs, and they stay safe and secure when I'm towing my 30' trailer.

Much safer than any other rack I've used, and you're always ready to go as soon as you unhook your trailer. There's less messing around with racks this way too!
2 kids, one dog (a Golden)
Let's go camping!
Triathletedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #10

Wow 6 bikes between your pickup and trailer? That's amazing. Would love to see pics sometime.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilgerc View Post
Wow 6 bikes between your pickup and trailer? That's amazing. Would love to see pics sometime.
I don't have any pics of my truck, but this is basically what it looks like. My bikes sit higher so they don't interfere with the hitch or the trailer jack.
Attached Images

2 kids, one dog (a Golden)
Let's go camping!
Triathletedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #12

When we had a trailer, I used a bike rack on the ladder that held 2 bikes. It worked well. When our trailer was destroyed in a crash (rolled on its side), the only thing that survived was the bike rack and bikes--still attached to the ladder.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

have you considered mounting a hitch in front of the truck ? and have the bikes in front ?
http://www.reese-hitches.com/
http://www.realtruck.com/front-hitches/
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

There are a few different options here. If want to carry the bikes on the trailer, you could try an over the propane tank rack....check here: Arvika Looks like they also make a rack for the front of a 5th wheel trailer. These would not work on a V-Nose trailer. The other trailer option would be to carry the bikes inside the trailer. I would not consider carrying the bikes on the back of the trailer, either by a bumper mount or ladder rack a viable option.....there is just too much bouncing around back there, and you can't keep tabs of your bikes.

Personally, I like the bikes on the tow vehicle. That way if we are camping somewhere, the bikes are already mounted if I need to carry my bikes somewhere to a bike path. With a SUV, a roof mount would work. With a truck, in or above the bed for a bumper pull trailer, or an above cab rack if a 5th wheel trailer is being pulled. The last option would be a front receiver hitch mount for either an SUV or truck, but you would have to be sure that the bikes don't block the headlights.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #15

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. It looks like we will prob wind up putting the bikes inside the trailer if we want to take them along.

Tags
bike, bike rack