Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2021, 09:27 AM   #1

Smile Bikes - Running out of options!

Hello!

I'm interested in getting some ideas for carrying bikes with a 5th wheel! I feel like I've explored all the possible options and we can't seem to come to an agreement on how to tow them!

I'd love some input and any possible ideas on what we can do - we have 2 adult bikes and 2 kids bikes (24" and a 16").

My husband does NOT want: the bikes on the front of his truck, on the top of his truck, or a bike rack on the back bumper.... clearly, you can see my issue here... our back bumper is also split, due to the door and the steps.

So far we've been putting them in the back bunk room which not only is a MASSIVE PAIN but it has also scraped up some of the wood from the entertainment area.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 10.20.30 AM.png
Views:	148
Size:	518.5 KB
ID:	254966  
Old 05-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #2

bike rack

Google bike rack for rear ladder on camper.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:50 AM   #3

I've seen where some have modified their 5th wheel "tongue" (sorry, I forget what it's called) and was able to mount 2 bikes there and as someone else noted, you could mount the remaining 2 on the ladder. Would keep all 4 out of the camper.
If I can find the mods I've seen to 5th wheel hitch for bike rack I'll post here.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #4
D W

The OP has "4" bikes. The Salem's ladder configuration/location is not the same the pictured motorhome. I honestly don't think there are any more viable options as the husband has already ruled them out.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #5

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f4/f5/7a/f...c5daa033c8.jpg
Old 05-20-2021, 10:20 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

A pin box mount of some kind is all that is left.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:21 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

5th wheel hitch bike racks...

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=19
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:04 AM   #8

thanks! I'm going to show him these! His main concern about not wanting to use the bumper is similar to all the other things I've found - that it's not rated to carry the weight. He's afraid it's going to break off on the interstate!
Old 05-20-2021, 12:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelswiththetinos View Post
thanks! I'm going to show him these! His main concern about not wanting to use the bumper is similar to all the other things I've found - that it's not rated to carry the weight. He's afraid it's going to break off on the interstate!
He's right.. I've seen it before myself.

Driving down the interstate I saw the remains of what looked like two expensive carbon fiber bikes. They had been hit and were all mangled. A couple miles up the road I saw the camper with the bumper ripped off the rear.. hanging there off one side.

You've got some good ideas here. That rack on the front of the 5th wheel is what I'd go for.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
He's right.. I've seen it before myself.

Driving down the interstate I saw the remains of what looked like two expensive carbon fiber bikes. They had been hit and were all mangled. A couple miles up the road I saw the camper with the bumper ripped off the rear.. hanging there off one side.

You've got some good ideas here. That rack on the front of the 5th wheel is what I'd go for.
And that's exactly what he's afraid of. I did see something online about people using the safety struts to reinforce the bumper - I thought about that but he still seems a little hesitant. I wonder if anyone has any input on those? I really wanted something simple but we would definitely need someone to fabricate something for the pin box if we went that route.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:59 PM   #11

Quote:
And that's exactly what he's afraid of. I did see something online about people using the safety struts to reinforce the bumper - I thought about that but he still seems a little hesitant. I wonder if anyone has any input on those? I really wanted something simple but we would definitely need someone to fabricate something for the pin box if we went that route.
My BIL has those. He's been fine. Personally, I don't think I've ever heard of a failure. However, my bikes are expensive so I probably wouldn't trust it. You can't see them back there which is probably my biggest hang up. If something was starting to fail you probably wouldn't know it until it had completely failed. In my example above that camper was about 10 miles away. My guess is that someone pulled him over.

Personally, if I was to go that route I'd find a welder that could fabricate up a rear hitch.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #12

bike rack

Here's another option.

I only carry 2 on top the "Little Creeker" but could do 4 if needed.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:24 PM   #13
Always Learning

One of the kingpin bike rack pictures was mine. A welder/fabricator can put this together pretty easily:
https://learntorv.com/diy-fifth-whee...rack-pictures/

I would do 2-3 bikes on the kingpin and then put the smallest of bikes in the truck bed.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:26 PM   #14

Maybe your husband would reconsider mounting on the front of the truck. It's a fairly popular solution.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:39 PM   #15

5th wheel bike carriers

Quote:
Hello!

I'm interested in getting some ideas for carrying bikes with a 5th wheel! I feel like I've explored all the possible options and we can't seem to come to an agreement on how to tow them!

I'd love some input and any possible ideas on what we can do - we have 2 adult bikes and 2 kids bikes (24" and a 16").

My husband does NOT want: the bikes on the front of his truck, on the top of his truck, or a bike rack on the back bumper.... clearly, you can see my issue here... our back bumper is also split, due to the door and the steps.

So far we've been putting them in the back bunk room which not only is a MASSIVE PAIN but it has also scraped up some of the wood from the entertainment area.

Thanks in advance!
Check out www.1up-USA.com
Been using this rack for 2 ebikes over a year now. Pricey but secure. You will need to have a frame mounted receiver to accommodate this unit. No add on bumper receivers
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Hello!

Thanks in advance!
I put a receiver hitch on the front of my TV. There are numerous styles (and price points) for this type of set-up.
Adds some versatility to the vehicle as well.
OfficerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:38 PM   #17

Just get a front hitch. They are cheap and easy to put on, plus you can keep an eye on the bikes while travelling.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:41 PM   #18

Buy new folding bikes so you can store them inside or in a bay.
Accountingphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:18 PM   #19

Quote:
RV bumpers often come from the factory with fold down cargo carriers and spare tires mounted on them. I can guarantee that they don’t de-rate bumper load capacity if those options aren’t installed. Mount the carrier and be done with it.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:52 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
RV bumpers often come from the factory with fold down cargo carriers and spare tires mounted on them. I can guarantee that they don’t de-rate bumper load capacity if those options aren’t installed. Mount the carrier and be done with it.
This is not true for all RVs, especially ultralights.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike