Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
clr

Bio Diesel Fuel

I have noticed in central Illinois recently that the bio diesel warning signs have changed in the last couple of months. I have driven a Diesel PU now for about 5 years so I am very familiar with the wording of the old signs. The old signs used to say up to 5% bio mass, the new blue signs say may contain bio mass between 5% and 20%. In fact I can not even find 5% diesel fuel any longer even at truck stops here in central Illinois (but I have not tried them all).

My Ford truck and I know many others say it is ok to use up to 20% bio diesel on an occasional basis only. But recommend 5% or less for continues use.

So my question is: is this only an Illinois thing or has the whole US gone to 20% bio diesel? I would also like to know the reasons behind this if this is a general trend.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Broken Toe

Any truck will run 100% biodiesel with no issues. Chemically, biodiesel is as close to regular low-sulfur diesel as your injectors wont know the difference.

the one big issue is bio is a bit of a solvent. All the crud that built up in your fuel system over the years will come loose and play hell with your filters till its all out.

I imagine that b20 will have the same effect, albeit at a slower rate. Good practice in any case to carry spare fuel filters with you anyway.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #3

The Pilot and Flying J trucks stops in California all use a blend up to 20. The one closest to me is showing B8 while one in San Diego is showing B18.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #4

I am in northern IL and most but not all of the stations are 5 to 20% Bio-Fuel. The Meijer stations in Northern IL are still below 5%. There are no labels on the pumps for Diesel, so this means they can sell up to a 5% blend. In the winter months the diesel fuel is straight diesel no bio at all at the Meijer stations.

If you have to run Bio-fuel you should add an additive such as Power Service Bio Kleen Diesel Fuel Biocide. This will help with the water and microbes that can occur in Bio-Fuel. Your engine and fuel system will thank you.

I would also carry a spare fuel filter in case of plugging do to the Bio-Fuel. I always have two fuel filters in my truck one for the primary and one for the secondary fuel filters.

I had to use my spares once in North Dakota, glad I had them.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #5

The city of Portland, Oregon runs bio-diesel exclusively. My SIL worked for a Freighliner dealer. They dealt with the city's injector problems on a daily basis. They tried to get them to run some straight diesel part time but being the "green" state Ore is they would rather put up with the cost of changing and cleaning the injectors.

I've been told that the 5% goal is sometimes met or many times exceeded. You really don't know how much bean oil you are getting.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #6

I have a 100gal extra fuel tank that I installed a filter on, that filter helps me out as I pump all my fuel in the tank and then pump into my trucks fuel tank
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #7

Disagree with previous poster. Although I'm a big fan and use B20 biodiesel, there are other concerns that must be addressed if you run it:

(a). DPF: During regeneration of DPF, biodiesel doesn't burn as hot in the exhaust and regenerations may not be as complete if done on pure diesel.

(b) Fuel Dilution/Oil Polymerization: Biodiesel that gets past the rings during combustion and during exhaust stroke during a regeneration shortens the lifespan of the oil and can cause the oil to polymerize. DO NOT USE EXTENDED oil change intervals with B20. 5000 to 7500 miles should be ok but not the ridiculous intervals called for by Mercedes with their 3.0L Turbo diesel engine-I've seen as high as 20k mile oil change invervals.

(c) If your fuel injection system is dirty, B20 will clean it out and clog the fuel filter prematurely.

BTW, I often run B100 in my '15 Ford F350 but only when I know I won't hit a regeneration before the tank is emptied.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #8
clr

My main concern with the bio diesel use in my engine is that the owners guide for my truck engine states very clearly that bio diesel up to 5% is acceptable for use but not the B20 fuel. Also if I had a new motor home with the Mercedes diesel chassis they still today call for only up to 5% bio diesel.

Looks to me like the regulations are pushing the fuel used once again and us owners of older diesel engines that are not designed for its use will be paying the price.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #9

I get it, if manufacturer states max B5 then running more may cause problems with warranty.

Curious, if your diesel vehicle states B5 max, can you tell me what they state in same manual for oil change intervals?

I betcha that B5 max goes hand in hand with these long 10,000 and higher oil change intervals they are advocating.

You won't harm anything by running B20 as long as you don't go more than 5-7k oil change intervals and allow vehicle to regenerate the DPF fully.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #10
clr

Well the manual also says to change the oil every 5K, so that is what I do. Of course the oil change places say I should change at 3k I wonder why.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #11

Oil change places earn money by selling oil changes. A 3k oil change interval is a myth. Most vehicles can easily go 5k on cheap conventional oils and longer with synthetic oils. I was doing 10k OCIs on my VW TDIs with my driving style and my oil analysis always stated that my oil was easily good for another 5k miles.

My 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T destroy's its oil viscosity in 3k miles. I use a heavier weight oil 5w40 and change at 5k intervals which usually shears the oil down to 5w30.

If you change your oil at 5k intervals, you should be just find with B20 as long as you change your fuel filters a little more regularly and watch out for water.

I have hundreds of thousands of miles on B20 and higher blended fuels.

Tags
diesel, fuel