Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #1

Black Tank Flush Protocol?

We've got the factory-installed black tank flush system, where you hook a hose up to a connection at the docking station.

Is it a safety (contamination) issue to run a hose from the fresh water pedestal to flush the tanks? I have a hose I'd dedicate to that use, and I was planning on using a hose splitter on my own tap.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I have a dedicated garden hose as well for the tank flush , main reason it was cheap at WalMart and I use a "Y" fitting just as you mentioned with no problems. I have 2 black water tanks so the length of the hose was important to reach both.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #3

seems like a couple months ago, there was a lively discussion abt hooking up the the campground water and flushing out ur tank. what i gathered from it was that some may frown on it. some seemed to be happy if u put a back flow preventer between u and the water supply.
if u want to make most happy, put a check valve in the line. personally, i don't see how it can over come the pressure of the water supply to get into it.
a backflow preventer would be so stated and is basicly two checks back to back.
ur already using a dedicated hose. that would be my own concern. if u do back into the hose, u don't want to use that to supply water to ur trailer.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
Infractee

Jim is correct, if you use the search function you will see where this very topic was hashed out and beaten up pretty good a few months back.
I believe every company has to install vacuum breakers on the flush line, which will prevent contaminants from reaching the potable water supply.
As long as it works it is no problem, if the vacuum is unable to break for whatever reason then there is a possibility of contaminants. Then again, if you do not wash your hands well after handling anything to do with the black water then you risk contaminating the potable water supply just as easily, if not even easier.

I personally have never stayed at a CG with "Full" hookups so I have never had the choice. I feel if I did I would still stop at the dump and proceed to use the flusher there tho instead of at the camp site.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #5

Found the thread, and there's good common-sense advice there. Off to Lowes later today...

Tags
black tank, black tank flush