Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2ride41 View Post
Good point but I don't think there is a trap in the drain pipe to the black tank is there?? I am pretty sure I can see directly into the tank when I flush the toilet!? I know there is traps connected to the sinks etc but never really thought about the toilet since I thought I could see directly into the tank!
It depends upon how the TT is plumbed. My tanks go into the drain pipes that meet at a T. The dump valves are just before the T so the pipes always have some water in them if anything has been put through a drain or toilet. Even after I dump them there is always some residual water that ends up in the pipe near the valve which is why I pour a healthy dose of RV antifreeze to my tanks during the winter.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #42
Site Team

OK, the site team is literally having to do a clean up here. Please don't get caught up in emotions here, and be mindful of your words and terms.

We all know what.......er....uh....... "poo" isn't going to fly around here.

Let's keep it clean, well at least the language.

Thanks

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Sounds good until you are the one waiting... Then I bet your tune changes.
My tunes are always same . when you're are apublic dump station sometimes you have to wait if you can't wait then pull out and go somewhere else if that's not feasible then have a sandwich .or go over your own unit so you're ready when you get to the front of the line . this is supposed to be fun camping or staying in your home away from home. why do so many get worked up cause they have to wait a bit ? everybody is me me me
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #44
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
everybody is me me me
It's certainly clear that at least you are.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #45

If no one is around I take my time but if other campers are waiting I get it over with quick. A little in the black water tank is okay, at least for me

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #46
Canadian Member

We camped at a Provincial Park a couple weeks ago and there were 3 campers ahead of me and 3 lined up behind me at the dumping station. I refilled the black tank once using the flusher (valve closed), dumped it and then dumped the grey tank and pulled away. It took an extra 5 minutes, tops.

But I think it still needs a better flush for the end of the season. So, we've booked a FHU site at a CG less than an hour from home for a single night as the final outing of the year. We're doing that this weekend. It's a good excuse for another trip and I can flush the black tank as much as I need to on the final trip.

IMHO, if you use a FHU site to dump but didn't pay for a FHU site, you're cheating the CG owner not to mention those who did pay for FHUs. You should pay the few extra dollars for the convenience or be prepared to wait in line if necessary. If you book a standard hotel room you don't get to use a suite with a kitchenette.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
It's certainly clear that at least you are.
you prove my point
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #48

We were leaving a State Park at 9 AM and there was a Long line at the Dump station! A camper just pulled out of a FHU site so I pulled in to Dump! A Guy came running over a started Yelling "You can't be here,My son has booked this Site, I am going to call the Park Ranger"! I just hooked up the Dump hose and Water flush hose and went about my business! The Ranger pulled up as we were leaving! Youroo!!
Old 10-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post

IMHO, if you use a FHU site to dump but didn't pay for a FHU site, you're cheating the CG owner not to mention those who did pay for FHUs. You should pay the few extra dollars for the convenience or be prepared to wait in line if necessary. If you book a standard hotel room you don't get to use a suite with a kitchenette.
I think you're misunderstanding the point. Using an empty FHU site to dump is not depriving anyone of anything. It all goes into the same collection point. The folks at the Atlanta and Charlotte Nascar tracks even tell the dry campers to use the FHU sites if the dump station has a line.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #50

Regarding using a full hook up site to dump, some campgrounds have told us to use them as the dump line gets long and even at the FROG Rally it has been suggested to folks leaving to do this.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #51

When we bought our new MH our next door neighbor, who had a toy hauler, said he puts ice cubes down his toilet with water to slosh around, then drives around (the campground speed bumps would help!) to let the ice cubes loosen the clumps before dumping. I haven't done this yet, but at our last short campout of just 2 nights, the black tank sensor said full after a day and half. And, we never put tee pee paper down there, either. My guess is a mountain in the tank. So, before we set out next week I will be trying this method.

Toni and Sal
2016 Forester 2291S
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
When we bought our new MH our next door neighbor, who had a toy hauler, said he puts ice cubes down his toilet with water to slosh around, then drives around (the campground speed bumps would help!) to let the ice cubes loosen the clumps before dumping. I haven't done this yet, but at our last short campout of just 2 nights, the black tank sensor said full after a day and half. And, we never put tee pee paper down there, either. My guess is a mountain in the tank. So, before we set out next week I will be trying this method.

Toni and Sal
2016 Forester 2291S
and the tee pee goes where?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post

Toni and Sal
2016 Forester 2291S
Watch this:

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #54
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
and the tee pee goes where?
Up in smoke?,,,,lol
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Up in smoke?,,,,lol

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:22 PM   #56
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I think you're misunderstanding the point. Using an empty FHU site to dump is not depriving anyone of anything. It all goes into the same collection point. The folks at the Atlanta and Charlotte Nascar tracks even tell the dry campers to use the FHU sites if the dump station has a line.
I know the CG probably has a sanitary sewer system collecting all the waste everyone is dumping.

What you folks are not understanding is that if others pay a premium for the convenience of a FHU site (so they don't have to line up to dump) and you get that benefit without paying the premium, you are cheating the CG owner (depriving them of the revenue used to maintain the sewer system) and cheating those who properly paid the premium.

When you pay for a non-sewer site you do not have a right to use a FHU site without paying the small premium to do so. Around here, that premium is around $10-$20. I'm happy to pay that premium for the convenience.

Now, if the CG owner or manager gives you permission to use the FHU site in order to reduce the wait time, that's their prerogative - no foul and very nice of them - but it's their choice not yours.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #57
Sunseeker 3010DS

If everyone would look around as most of you have to come up with solutions to holding up the lines the world would be a better place. unfortunately not everyone is that considerate. There is a small camp ground at the county fair grounds about 5 miles from my house. If there are people behind me I will dump and go. I then run to the fair grounds and for $5.00 I can flush all day if I want because there are normally several open sites to dump.
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:10 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I know the CG probably has a sanitary sewer system collecting all the waste everyone is dumping.

What you folks are not understanding is that if others pay a premium for the convenience of a FHU site (so they don't have to line up to dump) and you get that benefit without paying the premium, you are cheating the CG owner (depriving them of the revenue used to maintain the sewer system) and cheating those who properly paid the premium.

When you pay for a non-sewer site you do not have a right to use a FHU site without paying the small premium to do so. Around here, that premium is around $10-$20. I'm happy to pay that premium for the convenience.

Now, if the CG owner or manager gives you permission to use the FHU site in order to reduce the wait time, that's their prerogative - no foul and very nice of them - but it's their choice not yours.
If I go to a campground and pay for the use of a non full hookup campsite then I have paid for the use of the dump station when I leave, or even during my stay. Since I have PAID to use the dump exactly what is the problem with which pipe one opens up to use to drain the tank. Nobody said they were preventing someone who paid for a FHU site the ability to use the drain. The site is empty. The only one being "hurt" is whoever thinks that since they paid a little more then they think they are entitled to more.

Paying $20 extra a night means forking out eighty bucks for a four nite stay just to save a short stop at the exit dump station. I've been know to spend money like a drunken sailor but no way I'd spend it that way. I would never pay extra for a FHU site unless I was going to be there for more than seven nights. I camped at BamaGanza last week for eight nights. It was a FHU site, but all the sites were FHU. I didn't even get my sewer hose out of the fencepost until the night before I left. In fact, the only thing I really used all week was the electricity because the water pressure was so low I used the onboard TT water system.

Using vacant sites for dumping actually is a benefit for the campground owner. If someone has to wait in line at the community dump station for 30-40 minutes or more they are leaving with a negative opinion. But, if the dump process gets spread out among other UNUSED sites they leave happy...and happy campers come back. Unhappy campers tell all their friends that the campground is not that great because of their single experience of being delayed while dumping.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:51 AM   #59

I use the Welcome Center dump whenever i can for black tank flush. I have never had another rig behind me and driving for a distance loosens the contents.
Santini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:50 AM   #60

many posts have said their black tank flush doesn't do a good job of cleaning, and some have said they can still see stuff in the tank after dumping and flushing,..... my black tank flush adapter going into the tank is mounted just above the drain pipe, and I would guess that is where FR mounts them all,... IMO it should be mounted on the opposite side of the tank,..... with it mounted above the drain pipe, if you are spraying water into the tank with the valve open and draining, you are actually spraying against the flow trying to go out the drain and that would naturally hinder stuff like solids and paper from flowing out as you want it to,.... if the flush was mounted on the opposite side, the spray would help push the "stuff" towards the drain pipe, which is what I thought was happening until I discovered where the flush adapter was mounted on my tank,.... now I close valve, spray as much as I want to into the tank, then stop the spray, open valve and let that dump, repeat as necessary,..... that routine seems to work much better than spraying with the valve open,.....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, tank