Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #1

Unhappy Black Tank Flushing

I went camping last weekend and before pulling out of the campground on Sunday, stopped at the sanitation station. Suffice it to say that I, and about 6 other campers got stuck behind "that guy." I waited about 15 minutes for him to repeatedly rinse his black tank and he had been at the dump station for a while because there were RVs ahead of me waiting to dump. By the time he pulled out, there were 5 other campers in line behind me. It continues to astound to me that people can be so inconsiderate as to perform a black tank flush when there are a line of RVs behind them waiting to dump. Seriously, it bears repeating: the black tank flush should only be performed when it won't cause an inconvenience to others. That pretty much excludes Sunday mornings when many campers are heading home.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittlecat View Post
I went camping last weekend and before pulling out of the campground on Sunday, stopped at the sanitation station. Suffice it to say that I, and about 6 other campers got stuck behind "that guy." I waited about 15 minutes for him to repeatedly rinse his black tank and he had been at the dump station for a while because there were RVs ahead of me waiting to dump. By the time he pulled out, there were 5 other campers in line behind me. It continues to astound to me that people can be so inconsiderate as to perform a black tank flush when there are a line of RVs behind them waiting to dump. Seriously, it bears repeating: the black tank flush should only be performed when it won't cause an inconvenience to others. That pretty much excludes Sunday mornings when many campers are heading home.
I hear what you are saying and agree. I have buddies that do the ritual that takes forever and I ask them when they are moving out so I can get gone prior.

I do think that each person has circumstances that might require this though as no other option may be available to them. Having said that, it stinks being in line...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

Sounds like they need more fiber in their diet.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
Sounds like they need more fiber in their diet.
I am trying to be sincere in my response about potty training, and here you had to make it thicker...

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #5

Black tank flush

I agree, it is frustrating waiting on someone to flush their tanks several time's But at this time of year, He's probably trying to get it super clean prior to winterizing. What I find to work out very well is to make sure your last trip of the year is at a full hookup site then you can spend all day flushing your tanks if you want without bothering anyone. Just sayin.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #6

I agree and our last outing was at a place without sewer so had to use the dump station, good thing is now I have another reason for another weekend camping trip
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #7

Like HappyCamper said, this time of year I think we all need to be patient. I know I will be taking my rig to the local camping world this weekend to do a final season dump and flush. If I were at a campground I'd be doing it there if it were my last trip of the year.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper 2715 View Post
I agree, it is frustrating waiting on someone to flush their tanks several time's But at this time of year, He's probably trying to get it super clean prior to winterizing. What I find to work out very well is to make sure your last trip of the year is at a full hookup site then you can spend all day flushing your tanks if you want without bothering anyone. Just sayin.
The place where we go for our last couple trips of the season has a limited number of sewer sites, but with 300 sites checking out on a Sunday, its common for people to pull into a full hookup site that is already vacant and use the connection there to do all their extra flushing. Keeps the dump station line moving and makes for happy campers.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #9
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittlecat View Post

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #10

Wow, so sorry that people like me aggravate people like you. I want to take proper care of my trailer and so far no one has asked me to speed things up so that they can get home faster. I don't have a way to flush out my black tanks anywhere else but at the campground where I am staying.
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
Always Learning

What did he say when you politely talked to him about the length of time it was taking?
Old 10-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #12

I did not get close enough to him to ask him anything. There was water spraying all over and it did not appear to be wise on my part to approach him! I recognize that a black tank flush is a good idea at the end of the camping season and do not disagree with that in principle; where I found it objectionable was that someone would decide to conduct a black tank flush on a Sunday close to noon when many people are leaving the campground near the same time. There are no full hook-up sites at the state park I was at, which is more common than not at the state parks in MI. I agree totally with the others who have stated that using a vacant full hook-up site (when available) to flush to one's heart's content is a fabulous idea instead of tying up the dump station at the front of the park. Another alternative might be choosing a different time of day (not peak check out time) to perform such a time consuming chore.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #13

I don't even understand why people spend the time rinsing the hose. If it don't have caps on the end you can cap as you disconnect, throw it in the trash and get a rhino flex that does. Rinse a hose that's going to dump again soon...wt@$#$3...oops...did i say that
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplewon View Post
I don't even understand why people spend the time rinsing the hose. If it don't have caps on the end you can cap as you disconnect, throw it in the trash and get a rhino flex that does. Rinse a hose that's going to dump again soon...wt@$#$3...oops...did i say that
Maybe your nose doesn't work well? 😁. I usually rinse mine with gray water after dumping the black, but occasionally can't... And after a few days the smell is ripe, especially if you don't let it dry by using those end caps. But hey... Everybody does things different.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinn View Post
Wow, so sorry that people like me aggravate people like you. I want to take proper care of my trailer and so far no one has asked me to speed things up so that they can get home faster. I don't have a way to flush out my black tanks anywhere else but at the campground where I am staying.
Amen!!! I also have no other way of flushing my system out so I too make sure I rinse good every time! It does not take 15 min though lol!! On another note am I the only one who isn't worried about a little water or whatever in my tanks as long as it isn't much and has room to expand? 5 gallons of water or whatever won't expand and break a 40 gallon tank will it?
born2ride41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:15 AM   #16

If you can't get it done in 15 min., that may be a little much
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:28 AM   #17

The only campgrounds where we typically use the dump station are our nearby state parks. Thankfully they have a 3PM checkout so we can avoid the lines by waiting until it is 1PM-2PM to leave. If for some reason we don't have time to do a good flush we have a state park and Camping World nearby. Since this is rare I don't mind paying an occasional fee for the convenience.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The guy flushing his tank isn't nearly as bad as the guy who is finishing packing his stuff up while dumping. Securing things in and outside his camper, cleaning windows/mirrors on truck, arranging things in bed of truck, loading up the bike that his kid just rode up on, etc. I understand some things can be done while waiting to drain, but 3 minutes after you pull the handle, you know they're empty,
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinn View Post
If there is a line at the dump station and you take the time to rinse and flush, or do anything other than just dump, that is rude and I will tell you so. If you have no other options to flush your tanks to your satisfaction that is because you haven't even tried to find any. No sympathy here for lazy, rude, people.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #20

what happened to being in no hurry ! 15 mins to dump and flush is not bad at all if you don't want to wait in line go somewhere else to dump your stuff . the rudeness is not the guy dumping but those that didn't get there first bitching cause they have to wait a bit . everybody today is in such a hurry to jump on others but act like there **** don't stink . narcissists all
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, tank