Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #1

Black water holding tank sensors and saniflush

Well sensors are red saying I am full I just dumped black water tank! Ok, went to rv dealership and said use Command to clean up tank, ahhh didnt work!!! Also noticed my saniflush is not working either! Any suggestions?
mnwild58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #2
clr

Get the flush system working and forget about reading the indicators for tank status. The tank status indicators all most never work correctly and you can spend a fortune trying to get them to work. If you NEED the indicators to work for your piece of mine, replace them with HORST miracle probes and be done with it.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #3

Do these probes install into same holes of tank
Old 07-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
Insert witty title here

Tank sensors should only be used as a guideline. If I want to verify if my black tank is full, I just shine a flashlight down the toilet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #5

I'm didnt work from the factory at dealership getting looked at
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #6

Just looked at horst sensors on youtube; way better setup then o.e.k sensors
Old 07-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #7

Tank sensor

My black tank works in reverse all light's empty no lights full
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #8

Black Tank Cleaning

OK I know I'm old fashion but the cleaning wand that you put down the toilet will clean the system much better than the "flush port" on most newer trailers. It's not as convenient as the built in system but if you care about using the sensors it will let you clean the walls well.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRob View Post
OK I know I'm old fashion but the cleaning wand that you put down the toilet will clean the system much better than the "flush port" on most newer trailers. It's not as convenient as the built in system but if you care about using the sensors it will let you clean the walls well.
Completely agree with this. Anytime I dump and the lights aren't correct. I use the cleaning wand. My camper is a 2013 and the lights are still working correctly.
dmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #10

I have seen the wand, i may have to get the flexible one because i have a 90 at the bottom of my toilet! Can clearly see it
Old 07-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #11

Have the flexible one. Its fine. I don't just put it in and leave it in one place. I move it up or down a bit and the let it sit for a while. Don't forget to leave your drain valve open while you are using it.
dmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #12

You can clean the sensors, so they work...until you start to fill it up. They are very unreliable and everyone knows it. Yes, you can buy expensive sensors, which may work a little better, but they too will become unreliable. You will just need to begin looking into the downtube (from the toilet) every day or two to get an idea where the level is. Once it gets to a level, which you are comfortable with (4-6 inches from the toilet), dump it. You will then have a pretty good idea of how often you need to dump. This timeframe is a guideline, and needs to have some common sense added to it. If someone gets ill and uses it more often, then you'll need to dump sooner, etc.

You an also use your grey tank as a gauge. It will likely need to be emptied sooner than the black tank, so when the grey tank needs dumping, dump the black at the same time.

Don't rely on the black tank sensors.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:30 PM   #13

I have a back flushing, clean out that connects between the dump hose and the trailer a water line connection to it sprays water into the black tank to clean it out.
Also, the old ice trick, dump a couple bags of ice and a bottle of treatment into your toilet before you leave on a trip. The sloshing ice scrubs the sensors.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:32 PM   #14
BigMac

Just look...

For my black tank, honestly, I just look. I can tell with a flashlight looking down the poop tank of I am 1/3 or full way better than that sensor!!
bmcilravey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #15

I have a built-in flush fitting that doesn't work that well. When I look down the toilet I can still see buildup. So I usually use my wand to finish up. No telling if there's material left out of sight though.

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #16

I feel lucky . not only does my black tank flush work very well all the indicator lights work on the black tank . now the fresh water reads 3/4 full when empty but reads accurate when filling with water go figure . the kitchen grey tanks reads correct most of the time but off some times . i think steam from hot water and condensation set it off . the bath room grey works perfectly also
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:23 PM   #17
TARVIDSON

Black Tank Wand

I agree with the folks who like the wand. It adds two or 3 minutes to dumping the tanks but it not only cleans the sensors it cleans the tank, does not cost much up front and is not hard to use or messy. I have 24,000 miles on my Prism and I have probably used it ten times. When I am not dry camping I use plenty of water to flush and make sure there is a couple gallons of water in the tank after dumping.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:08 AM   #18
Insert witty title here

After I dump my black tank, I'll use the rinse to fill the tank with water and dump again. Two fills will usually clean the tank pretty thoroughly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:50 PM   #19

Black Water Tank Lights

I agree with Tarvidson, I use my wand (a straight one) and just stick it down the toilet with high pressure and run it up and down several times, (2 minutes max)...until water runs cleans at the outlet and end of story, tanks is clean and lights show empty. Toilet paper gets stuck to the sensors and causes them to glow as if the tanks was full, can drive you batty if you don't know the problem. The wand flush works just fine.......
louiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:00 PM   #20

So I was just inquisitive today and unscrewed the belly on my wildcat and found my sensors right away found a couple that were loose! (Wiring) Then looking at my saniflush to my surprise there is a red hot water line hooked to it and traced the lines and its hooked into the water system!!!! Ok let your comments begin

Tags
black, black water, tank, water