Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 05:03 AM   #1

Black water tank

Hi my black water tank is clogged. Liquid comes out but there is solids still left. When I look through the toilet there is lots of solid left. How do I clear the tank of the solids?
Chevy2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:18 AM   #2

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...t-it-8376.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:43 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy2417 View Post
Hi my black water tank is clogged. Liquid comes out but there is solids still left. When I look through the toilet there is lots of solid left. How do I clear the tank of the solids?
since you own a 2001 Salem, you probably don't have a black tank flush.
so you'll need to get a spinning tank wand, usually available at Walmart.
and use lots of water.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:40 AM   #4

Try the ice bag trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy2417 View Post
How full is your tank?

I ask because, while I didn't have the problem you have, I had a related issue. When I dumped (the tank) yesterday, and flushed and filled repeatedly, the indicator lights wouldn't change from 2/3 full to the empty I was expecting. On my way home, I stopped at 7-Eleven (thank god) and got a 20 lb bag of ice. I had read here that a bag of ice while driving will help knock poop pyramids and paper piles off the walls and bottom of the tank. As I just wanted to clear my sensors, so they read empty again, I gave it a go.

It WORKED! When I got home, I hit the button and my black tank reads empty!

Depending on how full your tank is, you might not be able to get a 20 lb bag in, so go for the 10 lb bag and go for a ride.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Joe
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #5

I'm guessing the poop pyramid is not from a single camping trip so cleaning may be best achieved gradually.
I'd start by soaking with enough water to cover the pyramid and your choice of tank treatment, give it the night and flush with a tank spray wand. Repeat as needed. Generally, a 5 gal. minimum of water/treatment solution before using the tank
and waiting till at least 3/4 full before dumping will prevent further build up.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #6

I haven’t had a full clog yet, but pretty bad a couple times...the girlfriend decided to try non-RV paper and I’m a full timer. The ice trick and GEO treatments work decently usually, but do require driving. I’ve had some luck with filling the tank as full as possible with hot water and letting it sit for a day or two and I have also used septic tank emergency treatments with a good amount of luck. The wand works well too, but it does take a good amount of work and isn’t exactly fun. If you do the wand, I find it best to not have the toilet flushing at the same time...good luck!
boxman117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:10 AM   #7

Has anyone added an after market black tank flush? I thought about it, but, figured I would wait until after 1 time of really needing it before I go to the trouble...
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:19 AM   #8

I'm gonna ask because we have seen this before. Do you fill the bowl with water before you go? If you can see the pile just use a sturdy stick. 2'' x 2" lumber and breaker it up. Also use a flush wand. Amazon/Walmart are your friends
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, tank, water, water tank