Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 11:40 AM   #1

Black Water Treatment

We just purchased a 2019 Crusader 341RST and will make our first long road trip next month. My question is, if we stay in areas that have sewer connections and empty every morning, do I need to put the black water treatment in every day? Or should I not dump until the tank starts to get full.
Dkdickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
Site Team

It is recommended that you do not dump the black tank until 3/4 to full. You need the wooosh of the contents leaving to help clean out solids. Use a good black tank treatment as needed to keep the odors down.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
Always Learning

I agree with Flybob, short of you having a family of 12- your black tank won't accumulate enough waste in it to dump it every day. If you're moving, you can either travel with some waste water in it OR you should fill it with water before dumping (holding the pedal on the toilet for a while).

The gray can be dumped at your leisure. But the black should build up.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdickerson View Post
We just purchased a 2019 Crusader 341RST and will make our first long road trip next month. My question is, if we stay in areas that have sewer connections and empty every morning, do I need to put the black water treatment in every day? Or should I not dump until the tank starts to get full.
As mentioned, waiting until the tank is 3/4 to almost full is better to empty the contents. (solids & liquid)

Remember... it is a HOLDING tank and not a septic tank so things simply won't break down in the short time using it. The solids will flush out better when the tank is fuller.

Also as mentioned, if you only stay a few days and plan to go to another park within a few days to a week, there is no need to empty the tank for travel if you choose not to. We often go several weekends in succession and never dump the black tank until the last trip before not going for a while.

We have always had good luck using the Geo Method (Google it) using Calgon© liquid water softener (available at Wally World) along with Dawn dish washing detergent. We also usually put some Thetford Aqua-Kem© in for odor when we leave stuff in for several weeks. (or any chemical of your choice)

Should you decide for some odd reason you do want to dump every day (I wouldn't do that) the need to put chemicals in would be moot. Unless it's 100º+ outside, one day worth of chemicals is wasteful. But be sure to add water to the tank before dumping. (also wasteful)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
Gold Tee Box

Very interesting

I dump when it gets close to 1/2 full, or sooner, especially if I am moving and towing between sites when traveling.

However, when I flush, I then shut off the valve and fill the black water tank up again to about 1/2, using the black water flush and then dump again (and again) to clean it out.

If we are parked for an extended time, I may go a little longer.

I do always make sure I have plenty of grey water to dump after to clean out the hoses.

Clean is good

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, water