Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 11:12 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmcwittmann View Post
Don't mean to hijack thread but I am new to the RV experience and have a 2016 Forest River Surveyor. After camping next to someone who enlightened me on the need to inspect tires I discovered that my tires were 5 years old. I read in one of the threads about upgrading from a C to a D rated tire. I have already replaced them and the dealer put on E rated tires. Is that an issue to go from a C to an E rated tire?
I wouldn't focus so much on load rating as I would on manufacturer. I'll take a D rated Goodyear Endurance tire over an E rated China bomb tire any day of the year.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:08 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
I have read several posts about Covid and the lack of Endurance tires. I just replaced my 2 year old ones (before we left for Utah) with 4 new ones and a date code of 3 months prior.
If you are willing to wait a few days sure. Try getting them from stock? I don't think they are out of stock just reduced. I could get them in a few days but not same day.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:47 AM   #43

Rims too

Beware of the rims that are put on your 5er. The originals were also made in China and I’ve had two of the original four split on me. The crack is on the interior side. First one was while we were traveling, and of course the tire came apart and destroyed the trim on that side. The second we discovered when getting ready to leave the campground. I’ve since replace all the rims with steel wheels. Not pretty but I feel a lot safer. Oh FYI forest river warranted the first one. The second I delivered directly to the plant. I ask for only feedback from the rim manufacturer and have yet to hear from them.
Clcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #44

10 ply

I have a 39ft 2008 XLR, 3 axles. I have blown many tires over the years. I went to a 10ply. Haven't blown another.
Peter Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #45

My personal theory is that factory tires are not rated high enough for the trailers they are on. Meaning is not so much a china bomb, More under spec tires. I know they technically meet the requirements. I think having a safety margin makes it much less likely to have a blow out.

Since I’d be replacing my tires anyways I went with a good years. Then putting a TPMS on increases the safety factor since you can catch issues early.
Boondockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:49 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
If you are willing to wait a few days sure. Try getting them from stock? I don't think they are out of stock just reduced. I could get them in a few days but not same day.
They had mine in stock, with that said though, the state was in lock
down. Probably no was thinking of camping around here.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:13 PM   #47

BUY

Buy saloun from simple tire...have had mine for 3 yrs...love um..
Old 08-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #48

ST23580R16 TransEagle

When we blew our original FR crummy tires on the road in Texas, I got larger ST23580R16 TransEagle tires. These are truck tires, 14 ply, run at 110 psi, M speed rating (81mph) and have a load index rating of 129 (over 4000lb/tire).
The original tires had a load rating of 2500 lbs each making them marginal in my opinion for a FR 9500lb Arctic Wolf without "stuff" inside. 4000lb/tire gives me a safety factor which I like. Also they are larger than the original tires (needed larger rims too) so the trailer rides higher which is good when pulling with a Ram 3500.

My tire blowout also took out the plastic tire wheel well cover. It was easy to call up FR and find one and not much $$. Until I found that FR only sells through a dealer who jacked the price up 20% and then doubled the price to cover shipping and "handling".

Installing the new tire wheel well cover is not for the faint of heart because it is not an exact fit and in our case, the slideout location meant I had to cut the cover into two pieces. I sealed the leading cut edge with a piece of black painted wood to keep it from collecting road gunk. Working for 2 years so far.
jcschultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #49

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschultz01 View Post
When we blew our original FR crummy tires on the road in Texas, I got larger ST23580R16 TransEagle tires. These are truck tires, 14 ply, run at 110 psi, M speed rating (81mph) and have a load index rating of 129 (over 4000lb/tire).
Huh? ST is a trailer tire. LT is a truck tire.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire