Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #1
2017 Forester 3011DS

Blue Ox vs. Roadmaster?

Good Morning,
We are looking to hear from some folks that have been at this for awhile. This is our first motorhome (2017 Forester 3011DS) and want to tow 4 down. Prior to this, we towed TT's for years so not new to pulling. Tow vehicle is a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. Is there a real advantage to either of these tow systems that actually matters in the day to day use? Is one easier than the other or require less maintenance? Surprisingly, sales people all seem to have the BEST systems.... . Also, auxiliary braking systems? Understand California and Canadian laws, although they don't seem to bother people who have chosen the "no brake, they are more trouble than they are worth" much... Have been told no need for one, vehicle is lightweight and coach is big enough. Have also been told absolutely get one. Thoughts? Thank you. I know there are a lot of questions in this short post.
Keri
KeriMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

Trailer brakes may not be needed if your TV is significantly larger and heavier than what is needed to pull your trailer but they are always a good idea. Can you say with certainty that your vehicle can stop the trailer 100% on it's own even on a significant downhill. What if you have to stop short in an emergency?

Get brakes on your trailer even if they are not required by law. Avoiding even just one accident will make them worth it,

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #3

I also tow a 2 door wrangler with blue ox bars. I think you will find people who have one or the other and swear by the set up they have. The only feed back I can give you is ours works as it should, easy to use and after 5 years of towing with it still looks and functions like it did when I bought it.

As for braking systems, I have towed both with and without one. I currently use the irv2 and it's very easy to set up and use. I more or less fall under the better safe than sorry about this one. My jeep doesn't weigh much, but is over the limit that supplemental braking is required in Washington. Haven't had the pleasure of testing out in an emergency stop situation, but I will probably be glad I have it if I do.

Hope this helps.

Tags
blue ox