Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

One question I have, has anyone had to open their slides to allow access to the entire trailer? We have a bunkhouse that is not accessible unless the slides are completely out. For me, this also means that "all" the slides will be open.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

We haven't been, but our layout allows them to see pretty much everywhere except the bathroom between the main and the bike doors.

I am always nervous about them being in there though. I just know one day somebodies going to try putting the slide out with the slide-locks in place and break something.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #23

We were on a long trip and stopped at Many Wineries around the Finger Lakes of NY. We meandered to Lubec,Maine and set up camp. Disconnected the unit and planned to go over a bridge and visit Campobello,Island Canada. Nope,not with the Wine we had collected,so we didn't go to the Island. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #24
Wanna Be Camper

In all our trips back and forth across the US and Canadian borders we have only been asked once to open the trailer doors and a girl looked in the bedroom and the guy in the living room, neither got in the trailer and all I got was "Nice Trailer". I always ensure the window is fully down and I have no sunglasses or hat on when I talk to the border person. For some reason most of the canadian border crossings seem obsessed about fireworks. Just be truthful and things gererally run smoothly.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #25
Grape Escape

Crossing the border

Never been asked for ownership on anything in 30 plus years either side
Only time border guards look in RV I find is curiosity.
Can't understand why citrus products can't be brought back to the US. We sure don't have the climate to grow them. Perhaps we only get the rejects and you don't want them back lol.
Have a wonderful visit.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Worst thing one can do is bring firearms into Canada. We don't need them.

Can't understand why citrus products can't be brought back to the US. We sure don't have the climate to grow them. Perhaps we only get the rejects and you don't want them back lol.

Have a wonderful visit.

Reminds me of an incident that happened to a trucker uncle of mine. Aunt and Unc went to the US to buy groceries. While there bought a can of chili. Came home. Unc put the can of chili in his lunch bag and went to work. Work sends him with a load to go cross border into the US. US Customs seized his can of chili for bringing a meat product into the US.

So, it's alright to bring stuff out, just don't ever try to bring it back.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #27

Couple years ago we went into Canada and it was a breeze. Young guy just asked a few questions about firearms, alcohol and where we were going and for how long. Coming back into the states at a border crossing near our home, the US. agent had us pull over and he inspected the TT, opened cupboards, fridge, bathroom door etc. and we have known him for years! Just doing his job.
keep camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Best to just Google the question. We had no problems when we went to Nova Scotia to see the Bay of Fundy tides. We had birth certificates, pass ports and of course drivers license, insurance papers, titles, etc. They just ask where we were going, how long we were staying and "Have a nice visit", never ask to see anything. The US customs on the way back just waved us thru', didn't even stop. The other time I was towing a racecar trailer to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, they went thru' everything, tool boxes, racecar, cabinets in trailer, truck, my suitcase, under the hood of the truck, took 3 of them an hour. Just a wave on the way back as the oldest son took the trailer/racecar to Anchorage.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:58 PM   #29

If you ever change your mind I am sure you would enjoy yourself as much as we do when we visit your great country. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne)
Old 03-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

You need to see the tides of the Bay of Fundy. I think it has a record of 52+'. Only rose and fell 34' when we were there. World's highest tides 2x a day.

◾ The highest tides on planet Earth occur near Wolfville, in Nova Scotia's Minas Basin. The water level at high tide can be as much as 16 metres (52 feet) higher than at low tide.
◾High tides happen every 12 hours and 25 minutes (or nearly an hour later each day) because of the changing position of the Moon in its orbit around the Earth.
◾At mid-tide, the flow in Minas Channel north of Blomidon equals the combined flow of all the rivers and streams on Earth!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #31
Somewhat right of center

Going to Canada this summer to see the "relatives".
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #32

Hey Crabbyguy. You should stop in at Myrtle Manor and pick up a few of the cousins. We could have a real old fashioned shindig. Just don't tell the border guards about any restraining orders. If they ask about grass tell them your goats are taking care of it while you are visiting. Be sure to bring your rubber boots as it will be time to take the sheep to the summer pasture. It will be so good to see you guys again now that they let little Frank have day passes if he promises to take his meds and dress like a boy. See you this summer. THE TRAILER PARK BOYS!!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #33

Contact your car and RV insurance agent and request a Canadian proof of insurance form. They will provide one for free. I was able to download mine. It is one of those items that if you don't need it, good. If you do have an incident, as I did, that form will save you a lot of hassel.

When returning to the USA the agent asked about fruit and veggies. We mentioned the tomatoes and he wanted us to throw them out, even though we had purchased them in the US. They were in the refer, in the street side slide, and the agent did not seem to want to create the hassel of us pulling forward so we could open the slide. He told us to toss the tomotoes as soon as possible. We ate them that night.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #34

Living in the Okanagan Valley (on the Canuck side) tree fruit is always up there on the list of inquiries, going both ways. We are asked about firearms when heading south just as you are asked about firearms heading north. People try to put to much extra time and thought into when it's a simple issue. No difference going either way, just leave the guns at home unless you have the required paperwork to transport them across the border. I always try to take a quick check under the seats and whathaveyou before we cross just ot make sure their aren't any spare shells or rounds floating around. I've also never found a reason to hide my "enthusiasm" for things that go bang when crossing the border. I've had conversations regarding them at both sides of the border, along with conversations about many other things, and find if I'm honest and up front then we never have an issue.
It seems that the Canuck border guards are most concerned about getting the governments tax due out of us when we return, and the American border guards are most concerned we aren't coming down to take jobs away.

This will be the first season we wil be crossing with a trailer, up until now we have always had a tent trailer, and in all the times we have crosssed the border we have only ever had to pop it up once.

We make sure to bring an unopened US approved bag of dog food, no tree fruit and no vegetables when we cross. It's just simpler that way, and in most cases it is more cost effective to purchase those items once in the US.

You are also not allowed to bring firewood into the US from Canada, I'm not sure about the other direction, but just a heads up.

And hey, Welcome To Canada! We enjoy having you all up here, and appreciate the fact you have decided to spend some of your income here.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:37 AM   #35
Happy Camper

This thread has been pretty helpful. We just booked this past weekend for a week in Niagara falls in the week after july 4th. Seems as though as long as you document what your bringing with you and have your paperwork ready you shouldn't have any issues.
deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #36

I will be going over to Canada for a day trip next week and I am going to stop at US and Canadian Customs to get the whole scoop. When I get back I will post anything I get.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Have a wonderful visit.

Nothing with a Peel can be brought across. As well in BC no apples brought into the province ( protecting their growers?)

Edit - Peel products GROWN in USA. Bananas grown in central America OK.

We have a seasonal 20 min from US border, and do our groc shopping in US.
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #38

Regarding slides when we had our 5 wheel they never asked us to put the slide out for inspection despite it being a tight squeeze when the agent went in to inspect. Last summer with the MH he just looked in the window and didn't inspect inside at all. We usually go to upper New York once a year and Indiana or Michigan once a year and have not had problems. Google the most up to date regulations from both governments and follow them.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #39

Interesting read, sounds like a few have had the experience I have. Going into Canada has been much easier than coming back into the US. I have never towed a trailer in, but the last time took a motorcycle trip through. Waved into Canada after just a couple questions. Something I said raised some suspicions coming back in I guess so they searched my bike and my buddies bike. They had a camper in as well. They were all nice about it but it doesn't really feel like security to me.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #40

I get it on both sides because i work in law enforcement the ask about 20 times regarding weapons. My parents were Canadians so I know the drill going over and back but in the last 10 yrs things have changed drastically, use to be they said hi Mark how long you going over for today and have a good trip. Now 20 questions having some repeated to trip you up. The world isn't what it use to be.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote