Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #41

This thread reminds me of a comment by fellow Class A owner at Camp Freightliner last summer. When asked how many people his unit can hold, he replies: It entertains eight, seats six, feeds four, and sleeps two"

Just say no - the people who give you an argument are probably the same ones that won't tell you about damage they caused, or if brought to their attention will deny having caused it.

If you are looking for a kinder, gentler way to say "no", mumble something about liability. If they say they'll cover it, tell them about your million dollar liability policy. If they keep pressing, just say "No, I can't do that". If they start comparing you to body parts, get a new friend.

The twelve rules of assertiveness say that you don't need to - and should not give - any reason.
Hallen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #42
Site Team

Ahhh.....No

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #43

Nope, not at all. If they want to camp rent one from one of those rv rental places. I have told my wife that if anything ever happened to me just sell it, do not loan it ever.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't use to at all but have softened up as "stuff" has become less important to me.

Now, I would lend my camper to certain family and friends and I have.

They have to be:
  • Dear family or dear friends
  • Experienced RVers
  • Competent with stuff (we used to call them handymen)
  • and who I trust to do the right thing if something does go wrong
Meet all four criteria? No problem. This tallies to a handful or two of people in the world that I know.

But, I will also allow other family and friends who I trust and are handy but are not experienced to use it. I will tow and set it up for them, run through the various systems, leave my cell phone number and wish them a good weekend. I will take down and tow away when its time to go

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #45
NELA

NYET! It was several weeks before I even told my sons we'd bought an RV back in May of last year. I *knew* we'd be asked to borrow it, and I *knew* which son it would be.

I was correct on both issues. And DH *knew* what my answer would be. Now that same son has his own TT. Maybe I should ask to borrow it. /smirk

Our motto is as above; entertains a dozen, seats nine and sleeps two. We've never used the sleeper sofa and don't intend to unless there's an emergency type situation. We're not crazy about entertaining a dozen either. Crowding tends to result in something broken or damaged.

NO ONE will take care of what you've worked hard to get the way YOU DO.

I was taught from early childhood that if ever I *do* borrow something I should return it in the same or better condition it was in before I borrowed it. Unfortunately that level of integrity isn't very common any more.

RVing is a series of steep learning curves with lots of hair pins. It wouldn't be logical to expect anyone to learn something like RVing on a crash course basis, whether it's DH and myself, OR someone we're silly enough to loan our rig to.

Additionally, with the complicated towing systems on the bigger rigs we all enjoy these days, one would need to borrow the RV *and* the TV with the correct hitch set-up.

It just ain't happenin' here....best to lay that rule down firmly and succinctly from the git-geaux....and so we did.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #46

One guy at work keeps bugging me about borrowing my 5er he said I want you to pull it 200-300 miles to a campground I'll pay you 500.00 for the for the entire trip I agreed but also told him it would require an 80000.00$ deposit he hasn't bugged me since
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #47
Site Team

The only way I would consider loaning out my TT would be if I were willing to accept the outcome no matter what. I'm not there yet.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I can count only 4 people I'd lend it to.

#1, (parents) have a seasonal, but no practical towing experience. I'd have to drive and set up.
#2 & 3, have their own TTs. We bought ours to go camping with them. No need to lend.
#4, trucker friend that I'd trust with trailer, but he'd only want to borrow it to join us camping anyways. Again, no need to lend.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #49

I agree with Doug and triguy. I try and view stuff as just that. But, I still an responsible to be a good steward, and use a bit of sense.
I was fortunate enough to have two different friends offer the use of their campers before I had my own. It was a huge help to me as both times were for my wife's family reunion, and made it bearable for me. also, was a huge part of us getting our own camper.

I understand everyone's point of view though.
Happy Campin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I didn't use to at all but have softened up as "stuff" has become less important to me.

Now, I would lend my camper to certain family and friends and I have.

They have to be:
  • Dear family or dear friends
  • Experienced RVers
  • Competent with stuff (we used to call them handymen)
  • and who I trust to do the right thing if something does go wrong
Meet all four criteria? No problem. This tallies to a handful or two of people in the world that I know.

But, I will also allow other family and friends who I trust and are handy but are not experienced to use it. I will tow and set it up for them, run through the various systems, leave my cell phone number and wish them a good weekend. I will take down and tow away when its time to go

Sent by me
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #50
Broken Toe

No. 'No' now. 'No' tomorrow. 'No' next week. 'No' next year.

I would rather lose a "friend" because I told then 'no' that because I told them 'yes'.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #51

I was asked a couple of times....

I said that my insurance company wanted a non refundable insurance deductible of 500.00 upfront before it is ever lent out to anyone not on the title....

I then said that I have a tent that they could use for free...... they took the tent every time...

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I was asked a couple of times....

I said that my insurance company wanted a non refundable insurance deductible of 500.00 upfront before it is ever lent out to anyone not on the title.

That's clever! That will shut most people up
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #53
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Questions I would ask myself are: Will they remember to attach the water pressure regulator? Will they turn on the water heater without making sure there is water in it? Will they think to bring the awning in when it's blowing a gale outside?

And 100 other things, many of them related to towing.

No one has ever asked to borrow mine, but the answer would be: You are welcome to be my guest anytime I'm using the camper, which is often.

Yeah man. There is so much to go wrong. Heck, I can't even keep stuff straight half the time. NO WAY. I have a really big and nice 8 person North Face tent they can borrow and I even toss in the sleeping bags.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #54

absolutely NO WAY would anyone borrow it. Anyone can be a guest, but nobody know how to take care of your own camper better than you.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #55
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
forgot to say that it is a 1999 Coachman

I hve 2000Litecraft truck camper that I do loan out to almost anyone, but not my 5er. And the camper always comes back broke and I just fix it, no biggee. My youngest son is the biggest culprit but he is getting better.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #56

"Borrow" your camper?

Been down this road and shut it down quick...nothing good can come of it. It may come back unscathed and in the same shape you lent it out in, but now there's always next time.

I am all for letting others enjoy the camping experience but my requirement is that I will be part of the trip.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #57
Phat Phrog Phlunky

I have one exception to the standard answer of "NO". My brother in law would be welcome to anything and everything I own. He just get's it, and almost always returns everything the right way...........better than it left.
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #58

Both our grown sons are usually with us but when they are not they can use it if we are not camping, including the golf car parked inside...... but I tow it or if it happens to be stored at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach the campground tows it and parks it.

One older son owned a camper but job & $ got in the way, the other has set ours up several times by himself. So not worried about them but would not have anyone else that would ask........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #59

No one has asked me to borrow mine, (knock on wood) I will take people with me.
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:14 PM   #60
Site Team - Lou

Herk rule: Never loan anything that you insure, to... well anyone.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper