Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #61

I have been asked twice. Once family members for a single overnight not far from where we live. I towed it over, set it up, showed them the ropes. They used it as a hotel room (bed and shower), I took it down and towed home.

The other time was for a Mom in my scout pack that was 8.5 months pregnant and wanted to camp, but not sleep in the tents. Same gig, I towed and setup, and she used the bed and shower.

But, no way I would let someone else tow/setup/etc my rigs, except my FIL. He is a camper, and knows the ropes.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #62

Yes. It is restricted to close friends and family that have experience towing, etc.

For instance I've actually been encouraging my sister and brother-in-law to take their grandkids with it for years. They store it for me at their house now so I've told them over and over to use it. I point out they're saving me $90/month.

I'm willing to accept some risk to see them enjoy it with the grandkids.
WestTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
No one will borrow my trailer. People, even family, usually are not as careful about things as with you. Would you let people borrow your whole house? While you are not there?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Yes, you bet i would to some people. Why would i not share of my good fortune to responsible loved ones?
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #64
Site Team - Lou

I have found that people are "responsible" right up until they are not.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #65
Site Team

I take real good care of my toy and best of care for my Z and Bertha.
Im the guy who parks in the boonies at wallyworld with nothing else around. Unless i have Big Ugly with me. (work truck)Then Im in the front row.
Look how others take care of there stuff, Thats how there going to take care of yours. May be good enough ....may not.
A lot of stuff I have no problem sharing/ But Z n Bertha, I know it cold out but hell hasn't frozen over yet.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #66

Certainly not, of course not, not really, on no account/not on any account, by no means, hardly, no way, no dice, not on your life, no. It isn't going to happen so don't ask...
Old 02-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #67
Grape Escape

No, no, no same goes for boat, car and motorcycle.
Once lent out our tent and next time we had to use it it stunk to high heavens of mildew.
Friend let his best buddy ride his pride and joy motorcycle smashed it up and as the usual story goes he never even offered to pay deductable let alone take responsibility
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #68

I have a 25' Taylor shamrock I would let them use. It's 30yrs old and a good one to learn with.

My dad on the other hand would be more than welcome to take my Flagstaff... He taught me how to set up tow and use a camper the right way which is very carefully.
mbstorrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBlue View Post
I lent out our 39' 2013 Sanibel to our son for a week. He returned it in a complete mess. The electrical system was completely fried, the carpet covered in mud and dog excrement, two of the tires had nails in them and developed a slow leak, the right side of the until was scrapped up from where he sided a tree, the awning was gone, the rear end was crushed in, two of the slam hatch doors were missing, one door on our refrigerator was torn from the hinges. I could go on, but am recently recovering over the heart attack this issue brought on. Any way, I was awaken by my wife who realized I was having a terrible nightmare. Thank goodness it was only a bad dream. My final answer is hell no!

That was so bad...I to show it to my wife. And heck no for me too.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #70

no way if you want to go camping you can go rent one or start out in a tent like we did to see if its for you
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #71
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBlue View Post
I lent out our 39' 2013 Sanibel to our son for a week. He returned it in a complete mess. The electrical system was completely fried, the carpet covered in mud and dog excrement, two of the tires had nails in them and developed a slow leak, the right side of the until was scrapped up from where he sided a tree, the awning was gone, the rear end was crushed in, two of the slam hatch doors were missing, one door on our refrigerator was torn from the hinges. I could go on, but am recently recovering over the heart attack this issue brought on. Any way, I was awaken by my wife who realized I was having a terrible nightmare. Thank goodness it was only a bad dream. My final answer is hell no!
Just wondering how your son is doing ??? Did he recover from his trip to the woodshed:sp ankbottom:

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #72

Last summer we let our daughter, son-in-law, 2 grandsons and their 2 dogs use our TT out at the lake for a few nights. I hauled it out, set it up and hauled back when they were done.

They had a great time and the trailer was no worse for wear. They'll be doing the same thing again this summer.

They also will bring out their tent and camp with us on weekends.

I love hearing our grandson's camping stories.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #73
Site Team

A new family joined our church. Inactive marine, wife and 2 daughters. I took him hunting once and he saw my 5er in the driveway. About 5 months later he called me from sw Texas job site asking if wife and kids could borrow the camper til he got home to repair electrical problems that kept the ac from working in their little rent house. I thought quickly and started telling him in great detail each step of setup including purging air from gas line, lighting oven with match, opening and closing valves on sewer and shower water drains, checking fluid levels in hydraulic landing gear, connecting battery cut off, checking shore power with amp meter before plugging in, and on and on. He finally interrupted me and said, "there's no way she can do that. She can't put a roll of tissue on the holder." I told him I'd check on them til he got home.
Went over and stapled blankets in the doorless bedroom doorways. There were no doors and bedroom ac's worked, just not the living room. All was fine. There was no way I could have turned them loose in that RV.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #74

Not Happening lol
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #75

Will never happen. I'm a little leery about friends/family even camping in it WITH us. Had our new TT out last summer with a friend, his wife and their son. After 3 days, i had to order parts to fix the screen door and dinette table that my buddy couldn't "figure out" and fix the outdoor shower their son "did nothing" to.

I felt bad recently telling my sister "sorry, but no"... as they've borrowed other friends' pup's in the past... I started telling her and her husband that PUP's are different than TT's.... and about all the things that need to be remembered/done. Their eyes just kinda glazed over. When i got to the part about asking my BIL how he felt using my TV because that's what the Equal-i-zer is fitted for... he said (after i explained what WD/sway was)... "I'll just use my hitch. I don't need weight distribution or sway control with my truck." That was when i knew... no chance.

I will, however, let me son borrow it when he's ready... in another 20 years or so (he's 9)... hahaha.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #76

That would be like loaning your wife out...no way. There are just too many things that a "non camper" does not understand about an RV. Loaned our old FW to my favorite sister-in-law and here husband for 2 months while they remodeled their house. The are great folks, but they still managed to "mess up" quite a few things only because they do not understand RVs.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstroke2012 View Post
I have a few friends that have pulled trailers, been camping and know how to take care of equipment that I would not have any issue with borrowing it. They have borrowed stuff from me before and always returned it in same or better shape and vice versa. The list of who I would let borrow it is very small tho.

X2. Only 3 people on my list, and chances are they wouldnt ask but if they did ask to borrow the camper at time I wasnt using it, they would be more then welcome too.

I love TOYS, but never been that attached to material things. Wanna borrow my truck, go for it. Need to use the mower, Sure. Take my ATV up to the mountains. Fine.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #78
Mod free 5er

Will set ours up for our oldest son in Atlanta if he needs it as he is very familiar with the mechanics of it and is quite capable of fixing anything. To loan it to anyone else, the answer would be HELL NO!

Well... maybe a very few from here on the FRF.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #79
Site Team - Lou

Anyone who thinks that loaning out their car/truck/camper is a good idea should sit down with a liability lawyer for an hour or two. Bad enough to lose your house for your own accident; would hate to lose it for a friend's.

PA does not have a Homestead Exclusion as some other states have.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #80

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Oc just------------

Oc just answered my question. I now know where I can borrow a 5VR in between his trips.

Thanks OC

LOL
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper