Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 08:54 PM   #1

Bounce did not perform in this circumstance

Greetings,

The attached picture is an exposure from under the shower stall. What do you make of it? In the upper right corner is a section of the Bounce dryer sheet. The little varmint (s) made a home right next to it. The wood pieces scattered amongst the turds are from them knauing at the wood floor. The dark tinge to the sunfloor has been there since day 1.

I found a few turds under the sink and dinette, fortunately not found anywhere else.

While doing some repair work in a cabinet I found that the penetration of the floor for the black tank vent line was not sealed. I need to investigate whether the same condition exists for the grey tank. The vent line is behind the wall between the dinette and bathroom. The fresh tank penetration was sealed at the factory.

I'll update the further finding as they develop.

I need to scatter several boxes of Bounce apparently???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-1-21 Mouse **** b.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	255579  
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:28 AM   #2

dryer sheets or Irish Spring are all claimed to work but I have not had good luck with these. I found best method is to seal all openings as best you can and set snap traps and bucket traps by the rig. I store at my shop and no longer has a mouse problem. good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:32 AM   #3

I empty 1/2 a box in mine every fall... one sheet don't do it...
several bars of Irish Spring and 2 ultra-sonic devices...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
dryer sheets or Irish Spring are all claimed to work but I have not had good luck with these. I found best method is to seal all openings as best you can and set snap traps and bucket traps by the rig. I store at my shop and no longer has a mouse problem. good luck
My neighbor has two outdoor cats that are constantly out "hunting". They seem to be very well fed and I have no rodent problems with my TT stored on a pad in my back yard

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:39 AM   #5

Peppermint oil on cotton balls in every cabinet and crevice.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:53 PM   #6

My night ninja cat died and I have already found a stash of dry dog food stored between my cars hood and the rigid insulation panel. Lucky so far no wiring damage. Need new cat!!
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:00 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
My neighbor has two outdoor cats that are constantly out "hunting". They seem to be very well fed and I have no rodent problems with my TT stored on a pad in my back yard
This is my method. I love those guys! I think the dryer sheets and Irish spring are kind of myths. Seen a lot of pics on this site of half eaten Irish Spring bars, lol. I've had no problems since neighbor with cats moved in to patrol the area!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
This is my method. I love those guys! I think the dryer sheets and Irish spring are kind of myths. Seen a lot of pics on this site of half eaten Irish Spring bars, lol. I've had no problems since neighbor with cats moved in to patrol the area!
I've seen some professional articles regarding the heavily perfumed items like dryer sheets and Irish Spring. Also peppermint oil. They do say it CAN work but under two conditions. You have to use LOTS to make sure you have enough "stink" and refresh it regularly as the smell wears off in fairly short time.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:58 PM   #9

rodents

Irish spring did not work for us as we must have had the mice with the cleanest mouths in town. They ate most of several bars of the stuff.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:45 PM   #10

Steel wool, not traps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
We trapped mice for a while. The problem was that we only used four traps. When we came back to the trailer, we had caught four mice each time, but there was an infinite supply of mice. You catch four and four or a hundred more come in and wreak havoc.

I spent a day under the trailer on my back with steel wool and cable ties. Bronze wool might have been a little better.

First, I found the penetration point. They had followed the gas feed for the furnace through the vinyl insulation backing, then tunnelled through the insulation to the gas feed for the range and come through the floor along that feed. From the bottom, I closed the vinyl with Gorilla tape and unwrapped a pad of steel wool (mice hate it). I then wrapped the steel wool along the gas feed and secured it with cable ties. From the top I reached into the cabinet under the range and tamped steel wool into the gap around the pipe, using a large flat-blade screwdriver. Then, at every other floor penetration, I wrapped steel wool around the cable or wire or pipe and secured it with cable ties. There were several such penetrations at the front, around cables for the battery, power panel, converter, and towing umbilical.

Haven't seen a mouse since, and it's been five years in the same place.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:03 PM   #11
Site Team

It's not Bounce. Use Downey instead. Used it the past few years and the only sign of mice we had were the couple of spots we missed.

Irish spring doesn't work at all. They just eat it.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:10 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
I placed a mousetrap on top of each tire and have caught 7 mice and 1 chipmunk. Since doing this I haven’t had one mouse in my RV.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:45 PM   #13

NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy R View Post
Greetings,

The attached picture is an exposure from under the shower stall. What do you make of it? In the upper right corner is a section of the Bounce dryer sheet. The little varmint (s) made a home right next to it. The wood pieces scattered amongst the turds are from them knauing at the wood floor. The dark tinge to the sunfloor has been there since day 1.

I found a few turds under the sink and dinette, fortunately not found anywhere else.

While doing some repair work in a cabinet I found that the penetration of the floor for the black tank vent line was not sealed. I need to investigate whether the same condition exists for the grey tank. The vent line is behind the wall between the dinette and bathroom. The fresh tank penetration was sealed at the factory.

I'll update the further finding as they develop.

I need to scatter several boxes of Bounce apparently???
I found that soap and softener sheets weren't working to well myself, Through conversation with a fellow camper some 15 years back it was suggested to throw hole cloves in all the nick's and cranny's when closing up for the season. I have done that ever since and have had no unwelcomed quest while closed up. I buy them at the bulk store and don't go sparingly. They are easy to vacuum up and don't leave a lingering odor like mothballs.
I might mention that there is no food stuff left in the trailer and no bated traps to entice them to come in. Worth a try! All the best
warsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:07 PM   #15

Fresh Cab

Fresh Cab works great. Pay attention to number of packets based on square footage and change after about 3 months.
The big trouble with mouse traps or D-Con is you are attracting the mice. Fresh Cab sends them elsewhere.
Bounce, Downy, Irish Spring have had different formulations over the years. I think what worked 20 years ago doesn't work now.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote