Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #1

Boy are we green part 2 . . . we need to pack a sense of humor!

So I posted earlier today that we were really happy because we got our hitch adjusted for $60. What I did not realise is that when my husband pulled out of the driveway to go and get the hitch done, . . . HE FORGOT TO LOOK IN THE TRAILER!
We had been working on some modifications the night before, and had left all sorts of items out, all over the place including a toaster oven (up on the fridge), scissors, screw drivers, and a set of plastic stacking bins, plastic wine glasses, dishes etc.
I opened the trailer when he got home . . . boy what a mess!

And now we have a big dent in our floor, a dent in the toaster oven, and of course a big dent in our egos (LOL).

Just wondering if any of you old hands have had any similar adventures?

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywendolyn View Post
So I posted earlier today that we were really happy because we got our hitch adjusted for $60. What I did not realise is that when my husband pulled out of the driveway to go and get the hitch done, . . . HE FORGOT TO LOOK IN THE TRAILER!
We had been working on some modifications the night before, and had left all sorts of items out, all over the place including a toaster oven (up on the fridge), scissors, screw drivers, and a set of plastic stacking bins, plastic wine glasses, dishes etc.
I opened the trailer when he got home . . . boy what a mess!

And now we have a big dent in our floor, a dent in the toaster oven, and of course a big dent in our egos (LOL).

Just wondering if any of you old hands have had any similar adventures?

Yes we did, I was having brake problems with our rig and when I took it in for the warrenty work they installed new brake shoes and then they took it out for a road test, after theycame back with my rig I open the door and what a mess, all of the furniture came loose and was now part of the kitchen cabinets the ones under the sink. The dealer had to replace all 4 of the dinning room chairs and table and 3 cabinet doors. We had some things that came off of the walls but did not break...By the way, the dinning room table was screwed down to the floor and it was on it's side on top of the chairs??????
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #3

I know on more than one occasion I didn't make sure the fridge was a 100% closed. I can do without that cleanup when we get to our destination!
dharri770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
Site Team

We've all had those moments. That's one thing I'll bet you never do again.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Site Team

i left a travel cup full of coffee in the microwave, while breaking camp. i had wanted to warm it up before leaving and forgot it.
got home, opened the door and found coffee from inside the microwave, all over the countertop and on the floor.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We haven't had any interior surprises other than a drawer sliding open but a few years ago we were staying in our trailer in Western PA for a few days. When we broke camp on Sunday I put a bag of trash on top of my Durango with plans of chucking it in the dumpster on the way out. Well we ran into a couple we had talked with earlier in the week and after the conversation the thought of the trash just left my mind completely. We pulled out on the road and had travelled about a mile when it dawned on me. Just then a big 18 wheeler came flying by in the other direction. The bag went flying and it landed right on top of a trash can left by the curb by one of the residence along the road. It didn't break, it was a perfect shot. Never happen in another 100 years. My heart started beating again shortly after.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Perhaps some checklists would do you good.
I made checklist for everything. This way...nothing was forgotten. Especially helpful when we too....were new to RVing.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
Perhaps some checklists would do you good.
I made checklist for everything. This way...nothing was forgotten. Especially helpful when we too....were new to RVing.
Thats hilarious actually, because the first thing on my checklist would have to read "check husband"!

but it is a good idea . . . and we are working on one.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #9

I once and only once i put a big cup of salsa like 20oz from my favorite local mexican restaurant in the fridge and just set it on the shelf and it tipped over and the lid came off it was in a styro foam cup with a plastic lid i had quit a fine mess to clean up when i arrived at our camping spot and no salsa to eat with my breakfast burrito the next morning
Old 06-26-2009, 01:00 AM   #10

yup it happens to the best of us

I used to freeze the pickles until i figured out you didnt have to run the fridge on max going down the road.

i even hitched up and drove off with my rear jacks down
got about 10 feet before i heard a weird noise
Old 07-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #11

On our very first trip out, we were following friends. After we arrived at the campground, we followed them along the trail to the campsites. They made a nice easy turn. After we rubbed the slide against a wooden fence, we remembered their trailer was 5 feet shorter than ours. DH proceeded to back up to correct the situation. "Do you want me to get out and spot you?" Of course not, he can handle it all! Thankfully there were no people behind us, but we did back into a tree. The ladder shoved right through the back of the trailer. Thank goodness for insurance! It cost around $3,000 to repair.

We were camping with 3 other families. As soon as they found out what happened, the guys all came over and, as they helped him back into our site, they told him all the stories about the times they - and everyone else in our camping group - crashed their own trailers. They definitely helped him feel a bit better. Looks like we got our initiation out of the way. LOL

2009 Rockwood 8317SS
2008 Ford F150
justthe5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #12

Wow Sorry to hear thats got to suck big time just5
Old 07-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #13

Thanks. It's all good now. We were fortunate enough to be with friends. They definitely helped take the sting away!

2009 Rockwood 8317SS
2008 Ford F150
justthe5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #14

I had the glass rotating plate come out of the over the stove microwave last weekend. Towed it 10+ times without issue and somehow this time the microwave door opens. The plate shattered. Not a big deal -- a new one was around $40.

It did surprise me. Now we will take that plate out and store it. I wish the microwave door had a lock. The Microwave is a magic Chef.
roamerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #15

on one trip thru the wine country my wife was scolding me for "taking the turns a bit sharp and fast" I assured her that i was driving perfectly fine thank you very much. upon reaching our destination and opening the trailer to set camp, it looked like a tornado had gone off inside. That was 7 years ago and I still hear it every time we leave.

Jon Breen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #16

Don't feel bad we have been camping for years and it happened to us last trip out. I had made a butterscotch pie while we were out last time and forgot to fasten it down in the refer when we left. It was 100 miles to home and you can only guess how far a pie like that can splat when you open the door to the fridge and not know it was on its side in the door. Took 2 days of cleaning. and I think it is cleaned up.
fourwalls is offline   Reply With Quote