Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2020, 11:30 AM   #1

Brain Twister - What do you think?

So our Forester Model 2801 Class C had been in storage for a few months all winterized. Time to head a bit south from our home so drained the pink antifreeze just like I did the previous season. Other than flushing lines and draining directly into our gray and black tanks, absolutely NOTHING got on the floor and nor were my antifreeze jugs from last year even stored inside the unit before using.

Take a look at this photo from under the dinette including the front trim edge of it...perfectly coated in a pinkish color! (Fortunately, it's not quite as pink with the eye as these pics make it out to be.) The second pic is taken of our step-up nearly 12 feet away from the dinette area and see how it now matches the pinkish trim in the other area. There's absolutely no other instances of this discoloration anywhere in the unit.

FYI, I've tried to quick clean some spots with Goof-Off, 409, and some dishwashing detergent to no success...at this point. Obviously I'd like to get it back to the appropriate color but I'm most baffled in how it even happened...my DW and I have scratched our heads for an hour thinking about it.

And for those of you with eagle eyes and who take the time to look at this, under the dinette we had some small battery powered fans whose bases seem to have "blocked" the pinkiness a bit and there is a bit of streaking. But the two small vertical floor panels in each area are perfectly coated from one side to the other (no streaks.)

Oh, I just remembered when winterizing, I poured the tail end of a gallon jug directly into my toilet, but again, did not spill ANYTHING on the floor anywhere!

This one really has me baffled and I welcome any ideas/comments taking into consideration what I shared above. Will you have the ultimate answer of the RV (problem) universe? (Sorry, the pics rotated in the posting.) Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stain 1.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	222642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stain 2.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	222643  

OTR 2022-16 / 2021-51 / 2020-29
2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:45 AM   #2

I do not think that is from the rv antifreeze . never seen it stain anything . something else is going on and maybe just the cheap floor covering they used ! try some acetone in a inconspicuous area
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:50 AM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

Yeah, I don't think with that color being so even, that it would be the antifreeze. There's something else going on. But, I have no idea where to tell you to start.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:08 PM   #4
Site Team

Quick google search found this:

https://ultra-fresh.com/pink-stainin...nyl-a-problem/
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:58 PM   #5

Brain Twister - What do you think?

Unbelievable! Things you would never think of. I also have the 2801. I do wash the floors and countertops with a disinfectant cleaner, as a habit, in the spring and before I put it away in the fall. Certainly, never heard of this, but this info will reinforce the habit.

I also, leave DampRid in the front and back all the time, as well as run a dehumidifier all summer or any extended period above freezing.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Wow...I never thought of this but then it's still sort of in funny areas for water to be possibly penetrating my subfloor...especially at that small vertical step-up area...and so consistently, not blotchy or spotty. Thank you for the great link...I'll keep digging on my end for the culprit!

2019-71 / 2018-49
Old 01-30-2020, 01:37 PM   #7

This one really has me baffled and I welcome any ideas/comments taking into consideration what I shared above. Will you have the ultimate answer of the RV (problem) universe? (Sorry, the pics rotated in the posting.) Thanks for reading.[/QUOTE]

I have seen this exact staining before. It is caused by a bacteria that grows in and on "wet" or rotting wood. Check for leaks under this area that is soaking the plywood sub floor.

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkRVHog View Post
So our Forester Model 2801 Class C had been in storage for a few months all winterized. Time to head a bit south from our home so drained the pink antifreeze just like I did the previous season. Other than flushing lines and draining directly into our gray and black tanks, absolutely NOTHING got on the floor and nor were my antifreeze jugs from last year even stored inside the unit before using.

Take a look at this photo from under the dinette including the front trim edge of it...perfectly coated in a pinkish color! (Fortunately, it's not quite as pink with the eye as these pics make it out to be.) The second pic is taken of our step-up nearly 12 feet away from the dinette area and see how it now matches the pinkish trim in the other area. There's absolutely no other instances of this discoloration anywhere in the unit.

FYI, I've tried to quick clean some spots with Goof-Off, 409, and some dishwashing detergent to no success...at this point. Obviously I'd like to get it back to the appropriate color but I'm most baffled in how it even happened...my DW and I have scratched our heads for an hour thinking about it.

And for those of you with eagle eyes and who take the time to look at this, under the dinette we had some small battery powered fans whose bases seem to have "blocked" the pinkiness a bit and there is a bit of streaking. But the two small vertical floor panels in each area are perfectly coated from one side to the other (no streaks.)

Oh, I just remembered when winterizing, I poured the tail end of a gallon jug directly into my toilet, but again, did not spill ANYTHING on the floor anywhere!

This one really has me baffled and I welcome any ideas/comments taking into consideration what I shared above. Will you have the ultimate answer of the RV (problem) universe? (Sorry, the pics rotated in the posting.) Thanks for reading.

Is the staining under the benches as well? Looks like you have water coming up from the bottom of the slide out. Maybe while traveling in the rain.

Be sure to let us know what you find.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:52 PM   #9
llr

I wonder if this could happen if the would was wet when the unit was built.

Some of the other stains could explain the user that had the "burn" marks on the floor.
prior TV 2014 Silverado 2500 HD
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Unbelievable! Things you would never think of. I also have the 2801. I do wash the floors and countertops with a disinfectant cleaner, as a habit, in the spring and before I put it away in the fall. Certainly, never heard of this, but this info will reinforce the habit.

I also, leave DampRid in the front and back all the time, as well as run a dehumidifier all summer or any extended period above freezing.
Good thoughts but the period of time this had to happen (from November to mid January) it certainly wasn't humid in Arkansas and nor did I experience any leaks that could have allowed moisture to penetrate that I could find!

2019-71 / 2018-49
Old 01-30-2020, 05:15 PM   #11

You might try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to remove it. I've found it to work great on vinyl boat seats and remove such stains.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #12

We have a 2018 Forest River Forester 3011DS bought new in May 2018 with the same flooring and also have the pink staining but only on the small verticle strip under the dinette and the verticle strip at the step up to the rear of unit. We also have had no spills or any indication of water intrusion. In fact it has only been driven once or twice in a couple small showers. Since the majority of time I have owned it, it has either been parked on the dealers service center lot waiting to be repaired or in my yard waiting on an appointment for repair. It is now on its way back to the factory service center in a Elkhart (transport picked up today) for larger repairs but this issue is on my list. If I get any kind of answer on the cause I will post. Not sure how long that will take.
1000 sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
Is the staining under the benches as well? Looks like you have water coming up from the bottom of the slide out. Maybe while traveling in the rain.

Be sure to let us know what you find.
Nope...no water getting in when our slides are in that I can tell.

Not sure what you mean by "burn marks" on the floor.

Stay tuned for my next post that I think answers the question of the RV universe!

2019-71 / 2018-49
Old 01-30-2020, 07:40 PM   #14

So I sent this same info to my fabulous dealer, Moix RV in Conway, Ark, and here's the Service Manager's very prompt and candid response to my email-

"I just replaced the vertical vinyl floor covering on the slide and step up into the bed/bath area on a 2019 under warranty. No idea what caused it. Again I am not sure but I think it is cause by a slow reaction with the adhesive maybe?"

Now this makes some sense...sort of. My unit is a 2018 past the "one-year" FR warranty. Moix will submit a repair for it and see if FR will take care of it...otherwise I'll start working on them.

RV life...unbelievable.

2019-71 / 2018-49
Old 01-30-2020, 07:56 PM   #15

I would bet on adhesive. We're having something similar on the ceiling panels, but only where the panels are glued to the joists, and on several of them, throughout the ceiling.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #16

pink vinyl

Does this area get sunlight? We have a vinyl decal on our truck to match the camper and the driverside one has turned purple from lack of UV protection being applied
KarenDLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:59 PM   #17

slow down here everyone. mine is exactly like this and its only 3 months old (well it sat at dealer for 9 months).

Its pink on every vertical surface. dinette, bathroom

I figured it was so you would see the change in elevation and not trip over it.
we have seen others like this.

In fact on one of mine you can see a tape mark like they spray painted a clear purple color to it.

My floor is exact same floor you have
Old 01-31-2020, 09:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
slow down here everyone. mine is exactly like this and its only 3 months old (well it sat at dealer for 9 months).

Its pink on every vertical surface. dinette, bathroom

I figured it was so you would see the change in elevation and not trip over it.
we have seen others like this.

In fact on one of mine you can see a tape mark like they spray painted a clear purple color to it.

My floor is exact same floor you have
After installing floorcovering for 25 years, I never saw a vinyl floor turn Pink,
Saw many turn Yellow, but none Pink,
left the floorcovering Bus in about 2000 !!!
Cover it with Carpet !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:42 AM   #19

Sun fade? Do you keep the blinds open?
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Sun fade? Do you keep the blinds open?
Only under the Table ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote