Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #1

Brake controller install

Hi All,

I'll need to have a brake controller installed before picking up my new 16BHS.
I have a Prodigy P2 controller on the way. My Nissan dealer will not install it, seems they worry about an aftermarket part affecting the factory warranty. But Nissan has no OEM brake controller.

My RV dealer would rather not install it, citing unfamiliarity with the brand. They prefer I go with their Reese controller, which is a time delayed controller.
I understand a proportional controller is superior.

My 2016 Nissan Pathfinder is supposedly wired for the controller. How comfortable was everyone that installed their own controller doing the work?

I worry about installation mistakes on my part affecting the braking on a 4,000 lb. trailer.

As a soon to be new owner of a TT, I'm sure this is the first of many questions I'll have.
Loganskt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #2

I've got an 11 Xterra. I used the factory harness and plugged it in myself no prob, 5 min.

I'm running the RF unit. Works great. No need to deal with running wires etc.

Tekonsha - Trailer Brake Control - Proportional

Nice thing about this unit is that I can rent out my unit to others and they don't need any brake controller installed.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #3

Watch this video, its not that hard to install provided you have the factory 7 pin connector on your vehicle already. If you just have the 4 pin, that is probably the reason why they don't want to mess with it. Hope you get it figured all out.

Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Video | etrailer.com
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #4

Etrailer.com sells the harness you need for your Pathfinder and they have an install video.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #5

P2

We just bought a 2017 Nissan Armada and bought the P2 as well. Our dealership did the install with no worries, but there is a YouTube video for the installation of the P2. I would look there, but the inserts with install instructions for the P2 were pretty thorough.
Chomsky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #6

You can do it. You'll find yourself doing lots of things like this on your trailer as you go. Just be patient and learn to google the right videos. Take your time and google your questions.

Eggleston, Virginia
Go Hokies!!!
MoonStomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:07 PM   #7

I've done it on about five vehicles (my own and four others) it's a breeze. The hard part is if you don't have the seven pin at the rear, that is time consuming due to having to run wires to the rear.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller