Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #1

Branson Hit By Tornado!

Greetings,
For those who got to explore Branson during the rally and can remember driving on the strip(Hwy. 76), things look alot different this morning as around 1:30 a.m. or so, a tornado hit the area by the old Wal-Mart/Taco Bell/Ride The Ducks. Parts of Hwy. 76 closed due to damage, Branson Landing is closed today also due to damage(Hilton had windows blown out). No one killed, but 1 fatality in Buffalo, Missouri(north of Springfield), and another in Cassville, Missouri(same storm that later hit Branson). A motor home in the Walmart parking lot was turned over on its side blocking hwy. 76 with 2 people inside, but were okay & rv moved/uprighted. Lebanon Missouri had damage at the Tracker Plant by I-44, with boats damaged on the property, along with a campground near Bennett Springs. Pictures are available at KY3.com & KHOZ Branson Radio 102.9 FM. Please keep the families affected by these storms in your prayers as we are still feeling the effects of last Mays' Joplin tornado near here.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #2

Yes, the video reports I've seen show significant damage to the area. I've heard that Silver Dollar City sustained damage too, but I haven't seen any real reports on the City. I wonder how the many campgrounds in the area faired? Thank goodness this storm didn't roll through during the height of the tourist season.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #3

If you know someone headed toward Branson right now, I'd call the campground or resort to see if they have power or damage. Private campgrounds such as Compton Ridge, Silver Dollar City Wilderness Campground, & Tall Pines along with maybe a few others like Acorn Acres, are very close to Silver Dollar City/Branson area. Damage is hit & miss. At Kimberling City(Kimberling Inn-by the bridge) has damage & The Waters Edge Campground is very close by to there. No C.O.E. campgrounds open yet(thank goodness) as water doesn't get turned on the southern most parks until April. Dick Clarks' theater has roof peeled back, but Dixie Stampede doesn't seem to have damage right across the street. As you can imagine, alot of boat docks with boats have damage too. If you know anyone with a boat or house on Table Rock Lake, I would call and notify them to have someone inspect their property as soon as possible.
The campground near Lebanon Missouri had over 20 campers destroyed, but luckily were not occupied(I think alot of them are rented out as Bennett Springs State Park is close by & trout season starts tomorrow here in Missouri). Could have been alot more deadly with anglers staying close to their traditional 1st day of trout season.
Crews still out looking for survivors/damage in rural areas here. Power lines down everywhere the storms hit.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #4

Praying for those in Branson who were affected by the storm.
I have plans to visit Branson in 2 weeks, and was wondering if anyone could give updates on a couple places? I will be staying at a hotel near Mansion Theater; did this area get any damage? Also, what about the Titanic Museum? Any information from people in/around Branson would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
hopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #5

Your hotel would be north of the main drag in Branson but if I were you I would call to check on whether or not they had damage. The Titanic Museum is in the area that was hit hard but I haven't heard if it sustained damage.

Here's a link to some photos of the damaged area. PICTURES: Branson Tornado Damage | fox4kc.com

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
branson