Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2019, 07:30 PM   #1

Bright Lights!

Why, why do people keep their bright lights on all night? I understand having lights on until everyone is back to the site and accounted for but why keep them on after that? Is it "look at me, I bought a huge 5th wheel or motorhome and owe lots of dough on it so please, please look at me?". Those of us who purchased our RV with cash would like to sleep on a beautiful night with our windows open and shades up. Please reply - those of you who keep their lights on, and tell me why you do so?

Motorhome: 2016 Forest River Forester 3171DS
Toad: 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK Sport
willema is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2019, 07:47 PM   #2

Cause most 'city folks' are scared of the dark...
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2019, 01:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
Cause most 'city folks' are scared of the dark...
Gotta be able to see The Creature From The Black Tank coming at night. Also makes for a good scary campfire subject.

Seriously O have wondered this myself. Looked like the Vegas Strip at the KOA a few weeks ago. I have an LED awning and I like em on at night but I dim them way down. Just enough i can see a bear within 10 feet of the snack cooler.
AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2019, 04:48 AM   #4

What about the folks who hook their tail/marker lights up to a flasher so they blink all night. Nothing screams "look at me" more!
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2019, 05:49 AM   #5

I’m also wondering why people do this. Maybe people with bright lights on all night actually think they’re doing their neighbors a favor?

Many times the bright light RV owners are just sitting inside watching television, while those sitting outside trying to enjoy a dark evening have it it spoiled by the lights. Unfortunately, you don’t know how your neighbors camp until you’re registered, all set up on your site, and night falls.

RV manufacturers are enabling this practice to some degree by installing bright LED strips on the front caps of some units, and bright exterior lighting in general.

Due to these people being inconsiderate of their neighbors, or just ignorant, campgrounds need to have dark hours as well as quiet hours. However, compliance with the rules is not a given.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:25 AM   #6
Site Team

Night lights are a form of pollution the same as night noise.
If you camp at a public campground you have to expect some of both.
Hopefully not too much....
We try to be respectful but have camped
a long time over many nights- see my signature.

I remember once a LONG time ago we were rained in for the evening so we decided to watch a "shoot 'em up" movie.
In the morning I accidentally discovered our outside speakers had been on!!
I red-facedly apologized to our neighbor when I saw him. For some reason that trailer defaulted to all speakers ON when it was first powered up. We always double check the speaker settings to this day!

One other time (not so long ago....) I forgot and left my front cap LED lights on. Thankfully the front of my rig was more or less pointed at the weeds and not another trailer.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
Noob

I try not to camp at "Family" campgrounds and "retirement" campgrounds. Most of my RV trips seem to be to motorcycle parties, where the bright lights are the most dim lights around, and most people don't sleep until 5 AM.

When I do camp with kids and old folks around, I respect the quest for silence and boredom.
Flywithlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willema View Post
Is it "look at me, I bought a huge 5th wheel or motorhome and owe lots of dough on it so please, please look at me?".
You have to know already that this IS the answer.

FWIW, some who pay cash for their rigs also have the same "Look At Me" gene.

This is one of the reasons I prefer to boondock. People only turn on the outside lights when they're needed as nobody wants to waste battery power.

Campgrounds often become like neighborhood Christmas lighting where everyone is trying to out do the others. Porch light, Clearance Lights, underside lighting, lanterns hung from awning fringe, and I've even seen "Neon Flamingo's and palm trees" set up at front of site.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #9

Why do people have to string up lights all over their trailer and lay LED rope lights on the ground around their camper?

Why do they build a enormous bonfire and let this burn all night as they go inside and go to bed.

Why? Because they do not think of anyone other than themselves. I also think they were never taught how to camp and just copy what some campers other have done. Thinking this is OK to do.

Tags
light