Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

Bug and Spider problem.

We have our TT parked in our daughter's yard and try to go there at least once a week to make sure things are ok and occasionally spend the night in it. We had not been there for 2 weeks and spent the night there last night. For the first time, there were bugs in there. A bunch of big ants, a stinkbug and a couple spiders, one of which was in the bathtub. I was very surprised by this. We had a pop-up with a slide-out for 6 years and there were open areas all over where the tent material met the frame in the slide-out, but I don't remember ever having ants or spiders inside. Where do I look for openings that need to be sealed up and what do I use to seal them?
Old 06-15-2015, 04:37 PM   #2

Look above any thing touching the ground, tires, stab jacks, power cord hoses if any.

If you keep any food in it look inside where it is kept.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #3

Are you parked under any trees? If so, are any of your vents open?

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #4

I keep my Windjammer at my sons house. I always spray the jacks and around the tires with a bug killer. I will also spread a granular mixture (available at Lowes or home depot ). I do the same when I arrive at a camp ground around the perimeter of the trailer. It will usually take care of any problems.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
Are you parked under any trees? If so, are any of your vents open?
There are a few small trees on one side of the camper that have some branches that over hang it. We don't keep any of the vents open when we are not there. No food is left in there. We don't even keep any trash at all in the trash can. We get rid of any trash when we leave the camper. The ants were only seen around the kitchen area (on the counter by the sink and one on the floor in front of the sink cabinet).
zinger60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
LA-Lower Alabama Resident

We had a problem with ants a few weeks back. My husband put thick grease around the axles and tongue jack and that seems to have stopped them. They don't seem to be able to cross the grease line.
mysticks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #7
KJPapa

Ant Problem

A couple of thoughts now that they are in:

Amdro makes an ant bait that can be set out at various places in your RV. I have used it a couple of times when I have found ants in mine and it has always gotten rid of them. I got it at Home Depot I believe, but I have seen it a lot of places. If ants are around they are always working trying to find a way in. It is not the bait for imported fire ants, but a spot bait for other types of ants.

I have never found a way to successfully get rid of stink bugs except mechanical removal one at a time. There is a stink bug spray that Tractor Supply sells, but I haven't had good luck with it. The one you found may have been in there a while. I have found individual stink bugs months after they entered and on my unit they hide in the slide seals and come in when I close the slides to pack up.
kjpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #8

you could also set off bug bombs just before you get ready to leave it for a week or so.
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:44 PM   #9

A co-worker heard about and then tried putting out a small dish/bowl with Dawn dish washing liquid in it. Attracts the stink bugs and when they get in the soap they stay there. Kind of like putting a bowl of beer out in your garden to get of slugs, they crawl in, get drunk, then stay there 'cause they drowned.

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote