Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #21

Why were they even there. To us camping is a comradeship of individuals and families of the fun and loving people type. They should either camp in secluded places or not camp at all.
Johnny Boy is offline   Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 02:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
We have always had good experiences with fellow campers until last weekend. We pulled in on Thursday with our camper. Friday we set up a large tent in a shady spot at the back of our large site for step daughter and family who were arriving late that night. Friday evening, a car pulls into the next site and a woman comes over and tells us to move our tent because she picked her site to put her tent under the same tree where our tent was. We told her that tree was on OUR site, not hers. We also had picked our site becauss of the shade from that tree to place our tent.
We walked back and showed her where the lot lines are and that our tent was on our space. She kept trying to intimidate us so my husband called the park ranger to tell her where the lines are, which he did. She argued with him about it! So the ranger comes over and asks us if we could move it just to make peace with her. My husband agreed and moved it in the 100 degree heat, which I did not agree with. Ended up that it was not just this one woman and a tent. Her husband came later with a huge 5th wheel, another camper on the other side of them and 2 tents. I had to look at that woman and that tent on my site all weekend I'm sure she treats everyone else in her life the same way.
How would you guys have handled this?

The park ranger was wrong,it was your site not her's ,Maybe if he did his job they would not have parked next to you ,5 stars for what you did as a good person
nolanfla is offline   Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #23

We create our own happiness and unhappiness. In two years of full-time RVing, we've had only one negative experience with a fellow camper, (largely because we refuse to lower ourselves to the level of people who don't know how to behave in polite society), which seems like an acceptable batting average to me.

Sadly, these days "the high road" has even less traffic than in years past.
Paul Dershem is offline   Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 02:29 PM   #24

I wouldn't have moved the tent, but I understand your husband's not wanting to ruin the weekend being berated by the obnoxious camper. You both need to decide how to handle something like this in the future so that you can present a united front.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #25

A lot of non campers are camping these days!!
Old 08-25-2021, 03:17 PM   #26

The ranger should not be in this line of work if he's intimidated by that type of person.
He should have told them to accept that your tent was on your site, or leave the park immediately.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 03:33 PM   #27

Quote:
We have always had good experiences with fellow campers until last weekend. We pulled in on Thursday with our camper. Friday we set up a large tent in a shady spot at the back of our large site for step daughter and family who were arriving late that night. Friday evening, a car pulls into the next site and a woman comes over and tells us to move our tent because she picked her site to put her tent under the same tree where our tent was. We told her that tree was on OUR site, not hers. We also had picked our site becauss of the shade from that tree to place our tent.
We walked back and showed her where the lot lines are and that our tent was on our space. She kept trying to intimidate us so my husband called the park ranger to tell her where the lines are, which he did. She argued with him about it! So the ranger comes over and asks us if we could move it just to make peace with her. My husband agreed and moved it in the 100 degree heat, which I did not agree with. Ended up that it was not just this one woman and a tent. Her husband came later with a huge 5th wheel, another camper on the other side of them and 2 tents. I had to look at that woman and that tent on my site all weekend I'm sure she treats everyone else in her life the same way.
Once had a woman walk more than 60 feet across from her place to ours and demanded we stop smoking cigars on the backside of our trailers. The wind wasn't blowing, either

I learned a long time ago in Special Forces and in law enforcement that behavior doesn't cut it with me.

I was polite and didn't tell her to GFY but we didn't extinguish the cigars.
sfsgm is offline   Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #28

I would be channeling Captain Barbosa, I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Disinclined to acquiese to your request.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	261657  

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 03:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanfla View Post
The park ranger was wrong,it was your site not her's ,Maybe if he did his job they would not have parked next to you ,5 stars for what you did as a good person
I would have asked the ranger to speak to his supervisor.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #30

I would have only set up in 'my' space (as was done) and as soon as the bully started running their mouth I would tell them to call the ranger, turned and walked away. When the ranger showed up if he asked me to move, it would have been a simple no I paid for it...I don't entertain people who behave in that manner or people who will enable them.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:07 PM   #31

Bully

Tough situation...
1. I wouldn't have moved the tent.
2. The ranger was out of bounds. You rented the site.
3. I would have requested the ranger's supervisor intervene.
RPOD 180 and Ford XLT 150 5.0
Craig and Carol is offline   Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 04:07 PM   #32

That was a touchy situation. My response would have been "Well, ma'am, you should have gotten here sooner or reserved this spot if you wanted the shade tree. I've reserved and paid for the entire site and we have company coming who will occupy the tent. I'm sorry ma'am but the answer is no."

I had similar thing happened to me at a grocery store Saturday. I parked in a handicap spot, put up my tag, got out of my truck and started limping towards the front entrance (bad knee and pinched nerve in my back). Some guy yelled at me" Hey, buster! You stole my parking spot!" He had a handicap tag, too. I smiled at him and said" Sorry, friend. First come, first served.", waved my hand goodbye and continued walking. He hustled past me muttering how I "stole" HIS parking spot. Takes all kinds, I suppose. I don't know if everyone has noticed bit people seem a lot crabbier and short tempered these days for some reason.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 04:10 PM   #33

Bullying neighbor at campsite

Love the tuna fish idea, burning wet wood when the wind blows directly where you want it to go makes everyone’s night special. 🤣
Old 08-25-2021, 04:13 PM   #34

Never give in when right

I would merely say as I’ve told you and the Rangers told you, NO!

No discussion. There’s a term called the “first chink in the armor”, when they can start hacking through, they’ll just continue.

Stand your ground you’ll be surprised how much it works!
Doc Burry is offline   Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #35

I’m sorry that happened to you. It sounds like it was a lose lose situation and there was not a good outcome for you no matter what you did. They must have been real jerks for the ranger to cave in.
FloridaCouple is offline   Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 04:28 PM   #36

Quote:

I would have been VERY polite and spoken softly so no one could say I was angry. But Id have pointed out to the Ranger that, as he stated I was on my site. Asking you to move from the site you paid for was an unreasonable request.

If they other campers wanted to move it was fine with me, but I would not be moving from the site I not only paid for but to which I arrived first.

Let Him deal with Her. Maybe offer to buy her a brand new broom to ride home on.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
The ranger should not be in this line of work if he's intimidated by that type of person.
He should have told them to accept that your tent was on your site, or leave the park immediately.
I agree.
He sure wasn't doing the job he was being paid to do.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 06:34 PM   #38

Poor ranger.... I understand the exhaustion of being beat up at work & obviously he was just past the breaking point ... I SO hate that he rewarded that bad behavior. We as upright decent people need to start standing up to these bullies (fortunately rarely encountered out camping; work is entirely different story)

My bad neighbor story occurs at one of the music events we camp at where we are stuck in between people that used to camp over 4 sites but they accidentally gave up our site in between and we have discussed switching but the site they want to swap out is not great so NO. As bad neighbors who rent a camper they just feel entitled to walk between the tent and trailer we have on our site instead of going an extra 10 feet the other way to walk around on the road. We have nicely asked each year to take it around and are continually ignored. First year they thought it a good idea to drop grey tank onto edge of our site - guess they couldn't determine the direction water flows cause it flooded the tent they had on their site . Second year we just tried strategic placement of towel drying racks & such & would hear the crash as the bumbled over things in the dark each time yet they persisted. Last year involved strategic placement of tent stakes & ties & that worked but then this past year..... way too funny .... they rented a trailer way too big for the site & the rental guy was wonderful in placing them all the way back where their tent went. There was no walking around that end & they could barely get the slide out & heck no to the awning because of the tree on the site + length of camper .... wonder what 2022 will bring.... and every year we have proposed ways to make things work well only to be snubbed.... some people ....
Old 08-25-2021, 07:08 PM   #39

I've been at several campgrounds where sites are not clearly marked. You were right to ask the ranger/caretaker to settle a dispute. I don't agree with the parks request to move the tent if it was on your site. Honestly have never been in a situation like that. Basic common rules are for everyone, and most seasoned campers respect them when they're in print. On the other hand, grounds with lax rules are best avoided, only invites trouble .
Freetyme is offline   Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 09:09 PM   #40
2014 XLR 27HFS

No chance I move it. I would have told the ranger and the witch no. I would make sure the ranger wrote up the report and provided me a copy. Then I would enjoy my tent on MY site, making sure she saw it. Any escalation on their part would lead to law enforcement being called and shown the report.