Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2021, 10:59 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
You picked one sentence to respond to in my post... and ignored the bulk of the message.

Personally, I do not consider IL a destination location where I would want to camp for more than 1 night while traveling somewhere else.

I have nothing but warm wishes for you and anyone that wants to go out on their own and pursue their dream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
All I can say is make sure you get the word out to all the channels possible after you finish (websites, apps, maps, etc). You can also consider whether you want to offer other amenities like on-site shower & bath for "real" campers, laundry, and/or playground, pool and other "family friendly" attractions that will for sure cost more initially but may attract a wider variety of customers. Lastly make sure you have great, fast WiFi coverage.

Good luck.
Definitely. Wifi is something I hadn't even considered, good catch!
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:01 AM   #62

Not sure how that quote became such a mess. Although I am on at&t cellular internet. And they've been monkeying with the towers around here lately.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
All I can say is make sure you get the word out to all the channels possible after you finish (websites, apps, maps, etc). You can also consider whether you want to offer other amenities like on-site shower & bath for "real" campers, laundry, and/or playground, pool and other "family friendly" attractions that will for sure cost more initially but may attract a wider variety of customers. Lastly make sure you have great, fast WiFi coverage.

Good luck.
Honestly wifi would be the last thing I'd worry about. More trouble than what it's worth unless you are good at IT.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:40 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Honestly wifi would be the last thing I'd worry about. More trouble than what it's worth unless you are good at IT.
I know enough to be dangerous. It may not be something I worry about up front, it is something I hadn't thought about. And those things are why I'm here.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:40 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinthekeys View Post
I started my first business when I was 8 yrs old. Had subsequent self employed ventures all my life and was also employed a few times by others. It is my suggestion that unless you have "always" wanted to be self employed. Don't do it. The goal of self employment, in my view, is the major driver for any successful entrepreneur.

It appears to me that you are wishing for the RV Life first and to run a business second. IN my opinion, that is backwards to what is most likely to make you happy and successful. I was self employed from 33 yrs old until I retired at 57 and am now 68. I would have made more money, had more free time, and less headaches working for others. However, I would not have changed a thing.

The goal of self employment was paramount. The type of business(es) was secondary. It is my opinion, that if at this stage of your life you have not already created at least several businesses. You are unlikely to enjoy doing so.
Agree on some points but have seen far too many people with the I want to work for yourself attitude only to not really have a plan or the aptitude anyways.

A successful entrepreneur to me looks like someone who just loves dealing with customers no matter how crazy they make you . Has the motivation to work many and long hours Finally they have to have the acumen and be able to understand and make clear decisions on every facet of the business. #1 and #3 are usually the downfall of most small businesses.

There are many out there who swear they can sell ice to Eskimos but that isn't really the question. The question is how much ice for how long?
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:44 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I don’t know about that. With the way most “campers” are these days, that seems to be top on their list of priorities for amenities. It seems that every campground review I read these days, the author mentions WiFi. Even on this forum, the pages are littered with posts about WiFi.

I’m not dismissing your statement about being IT savvy, though, but there are companies that will deal with this end of it for the campground owner. Of course, that’s another expense to add to the list for the OP.

Bruce
Old 07-25-2021, 11:49 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBreeze View Post
Agree on some points but have seen far too many people with the I want to work for yourself attitude only to not really have a plan or the aptitude anyways.

A successful entrepreneur to me looks like someone who just loves dealing with customers no matter how crazy they make you . Has the motivation to work many and long hours Finally they have to have the acumen and be able to understand and make clear decisions on every facet of the business. #1 and #3 are usually the downfall of most small businesses.

There are many out there who swear they can sell ice to Eskimos but that isn't really the question. The question is how much ice for how long?
Currently dealing with customers makes me pull my hair out because I can't make promises or keep promises without someone else's permission. And sometimes even after that, things are changed that I have no control over. I don't like it making me look bad, as I've spent years building a client base that trusts ME to do what I said I would. I have customers that have followed me accross 3 different employers because they see my skill and dedication. I want complete control. And I want out of a field that is slowly destroying my body. I want a path to more money and the possibility of some wealth before I'm too old. Does that cover it?
Old 07-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I don’t know about that. With the way most “campers” are these days, that seems to be top on their list of priorities for amenities. It seems that every campground review I read these days, the author mentions WiFi. Even on this forum, the pages are littered with posts about WiFi.

Bruce
We still spend a lot of time outdoors around the campfire but, more and more, we rely on wifi (or cellular) to deliver video and internet access to our campsites. We can monitor our home security systems and cameras, watch our favorite shows, and work from the campground. I would absolutely prioritize a fast campground wifi system over something like cable TV.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #69

Ahem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Personally, I do not consider IL a destination location where I would want to camp for more than 1 night while traveling somewhere else.
Ahem! I grew up in the Midwest (Cincinnati, suburban Chicago, employment in southern Minnesota). My late wife (1969-2005) was from rural east central Illinois. One of my sisters and her husband run a series of country weekly newspapers. Their flagship paper is the oldest business in the county, established in 1849 !

How's Illinois for camping. Let me tell you about the two weeks we spent in Illinois in 1981, visiting Lincoln sites with our young children. We visited the farm in Charleston (east central IL) where Tom and Mary Lincoln raised Abe, including the cabin where tall, young Abe reacted to being directed to whitewash the cabin ceiling, finished by picking up a young boy, dipping his feet in mud and walking him up one side of the ceiling and down the other! This is a complete reconstruction, where locals dress in period dress, and farm period (historic) crops with period equipment.

We visited the sites of five of the seven Lincoln-Douglas debates, and several other sites where Lincoln debated other political opponents (called "jayhawking") for other offices. One of the most interesting was the county courthouse in Shelby County. All the farmers came to town to hear. Lincoln and his opponent flipped a coin to see who would speak first. Lincoln spoke for seven hours, by which time the entire audience had left.

We also visited the small cabin in Monticello (pronounced Mon ti SELL o, not Mon ti CHELL o), where Lincoln and Douglas met to set the sites and dates for each of the debates and determine who spoke first at each one.

We visited his law office in Springfield, the old state capital where he served in the legislature, the train station from which he departed to Washington, and of course, the memorial.

We also visited the former state capital in Vandalia, where Lincoln had served in the legislature.

We visited New Salem, another reconstruction, where Lincoln clerked in a general store and once walked several miles to return a few cents he had overcharged a customer.

Of course we visited a dam site along the Sangamon River where Lincoln was trying to show that the river was suitable for navigation to develop commerce. He successfully piloted a boat on the river, but no one else was ever able to do it.

We visited Athens, Il, which honored and supported Lincoln and the other eight members of the "Long Nine." The story goes that these nine members of the state legislature were all over six feet tall--very unusual for the time--and dominated the legislature when they all rose at once.

I admit that we didn't stay at a single spot for the entire two weeks--we probably stayed around 3 days in most sites--but I assure you that there's plenty to draw you to Illinois and plenty to do there.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Ahem! I grew up in the Midwest (Cincinnati, suburban Chicago, employment in southern Minnesota). My late wife (1969-2005) was from rural east central Illinois. One of my sisters and her husband run a series of country weekly newspapers. Their flagship paper is the oldest business in the county, established in 1849 !

How's Illinois for camping. Let me tell you about the two weeks we spent in Illinois in 1981, visiting Lincoln sites with our young children. We visited the farm in Charleston (east central IL) where Tom and Mary Lincoln raised Abe, including the cabin where tall, young Abe reacted to being directed to whitewash the cabin ceiling, finished by picking up a young boy, dipping his feet in mud and walking him up one side of the ceiling and down the other! This is a complete reconstruction, where locals dress in period dress, and farm period (historic) crops with period equipment.

We visited the sites of five of the seven Lincoln-Douglas debates, and several other sites where Lincoln debated other political opponents (called "jayhawking") for other offices. One of the most interesting was the county courthouse in Shelby County. All the farmers came to town to hear. Lincoln and his opponent flipped a coin to see who would speak first. Lincoln spoke for seven hours, by which time the entire audience had left.

We also visited the small cabin in Monticello (pronounced Mon ti SELL o, not Mon ti CHELL o), where Lincoln and Douglas met to set the sites and dates for each of the debates and determine who spoke first at each one.

We visited his law office in Springfield, the old state capital where he served in the legislature, the train station from which he departed to Washington, and of course, the memorial.

We also visited the former state capital in Vandalia, where Lincoln had served in the legislature.

We visited New Salem, another reconstruction, where Lincoln clerked in a general store and once walked several miles to return a few cents he had overcharged a customer.

Of course we visited a dam site along the Sangamon River where Lincoln was trying to show that the river was suitable for navigation to develop commerce. He successfully piloted a boat on the river, but no one else was ever able to do it.

We visited Athens, Il, which honored and supported Lincoln and the other eight members of the "Long Nine." The story goes that these nine members of the state legislature were all over six feet tall--very unusual for the time--and dominated the legislature when they all rose at once.

I admit that we didn't stay at a single spot for the entire two weeks--we probably stayed around 3 days in most sites--but I assure you that there's plenty to draw you to Illinois and plenty to do there.
Thanks. You've been all around the area. Not terribly far from my potential property. Illinois has a bad rap. People seem to be unaware of anything south of I80. There's more here than meets the eye, but it's so subtle and far flung most miss it.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #71
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
We still spend a lot of time outdoors around the campfire but, more and more, we rely on wifi (or cellular) to deliver video and internet access to our campsites. We can monitor our home security systems and cameras, watch our favorite shows, and work from the campground. I would absolutely prioritize a fast campground wifi system over something like cable TV.
It's well known that the vast majority of private campgrounds/RV parks have poor wifi. That's why many are relying on their cellphone hot spots, for internet.
Finding a campground or RV park with good wifi, is a rarity.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:39 PM   #72

I know for a fact at&t service is poor there. And I've heard the others aren't much better. Wifi is as much to keep the kids happy as anything. And we all know quiet, distracted, contented kids makes for contented parents..
Old 07-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post
My choices as of today are keep it and go full time. Or sell it and start this park. I hope that clarifies my position.
I want complete control. And I want out of a field that is slowly destroying my body. I want a path to more money and the possibility of some wealth before I'm too old. Does that cover it?
It sounds like you've already made up your mind and the path forward would be to contact the people who can help you decide if it's doable. If you have a small business organization, perhaps someone can help you set up a business plan.
There might be a third alternative. Have you considered going full time and doing 'work camping' and renting or selling your house and banking the money to keep your options open?
Work camping would give you experience in the industry and help you decide if it's something you really want to do. Would you hire someone with no experience to do your job? Or buy a restaurant with no experience?
What you're proposing will get you out of your current job, but you're still going to be dealing with theft of tools, vandalism and promises you can't fulfill due to supply shortages and subcontractors at the proposed rv park. It may not be the road to riches that you envision, but more like a money pit. A business plan would help you decide.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
It sounds like you've already made up your mind and the path forward would be to contact the people who can help you decide if it's doable. If you have a small business organization, perhaps someone can help you set up a business plan.
There might be a third alternative. Have you considered going full time and doing 'work camping' and renting or selling your house and banking the money to keep your options open?
Work camping would give you experience in the industry and help you decide if it's something you really want to do. Would you hire someone with no experience to do your job? Or buy a restaurant with no experience?
What you're proposing will get you out of your current job, but you're still going to be dealing with theft of tools, vandalism and promises you can't fulfill due to supply shortages and subcontractors at the proposed rv park. It may not be the road to riches that you envision, but more like a money pit. A business plan would help you decide.
Thanks, but I have not made up my mind. Thats why I'm here, to hear opinions, that will help me make up my mind. Yes, I'm arguing in favor of the idea, but what would you have me do? Give up because I'm not holding all the cards yet? I have an idea, and I have tentative bank backing. I don't have even half the info I need to even begin to make up my mind. And I'm not going to waste my, or anyone else's time writing up a business plan until a few questions have been answered. I don't know for a fact that the property is actually going to be for sale. I don't know what is included if it does sell. I don't know what the asking price will be. I don't know taxes. I don't know much of anything
Can't we just call this all hypothetical? That's what it is at this moment. If I'd made up my mind I would have blindly and arrogantly kept my mouth shut, and bought it without comment..
Old 07-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #75

You say you have tentative bank backing, but what banker in his right mind would even give you hope of backing without first seeing a complete and comprehensive business plan?

Bruce
Old 07-25-2021, 01:21 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
You say you have tentative bank backing, but what banker in his right mind would even give you hope of backing without first seeing a complete and comprehensive business plan?

Bruce
Well, mine for one. Idk what you guys are thinking, but the sale of my home could pay for just shy of half of the purchase price. Not to mention I have 10% available, and up to 30% if I moved some things around. This is the sticks. Things work differently here.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:26 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post
Can't we just call this all hypothetical? .
Of course. Unfortunately, most of us have experience as campers and have no idea what goes into developing and running an rv park. It's a great fantasy, but until you sit down, get advice from other campground owners and draw up a business plan, you'll have no idea if it's doable. I don't want to discourage you from posting. Just remember that the advice you get is from campers, not campground owners.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:35 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Of course. Unfortunately, most of us have experience as campers and have no idea what goes into developing and running an rv park. It's a great fantasy, but until you sit down, get advice from other campground owners and draw up a business plan, you'll have no idea if it's doable. I don't want to discourage you from posting. Just remember that the advice you get is from campers, not campground owners.
Samuel L Jackson: "Say business plan one more time..."

Seriously. Enough.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #79

I was told not too long ago that it costs about $10,000 per site to put in a campground. Not including the office/store and other needed buildings. I don’t know if that is accurate but it sounds like it might be close. A million dollars for 100 sites.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
I was told not too long ago that it costs about $10,000 per site to put in a campground. Not including the office/store and other needed buildings. I don’t know if that is accurate but it sounds like it might be close. A million dollars for 100 sites.
Building all new everything? Paying someone else to do all labor? Is there a pool? Playground? What what's the average price per acre? 🤔 If I were to build it on what would seem to be identical land 10 miles from its actual location, the dirt would be 10-15k$ an acre. The dirt I'm looking at, if the realtor is correct will sell for $2500 per acre. 🤔 Why? Because it's not suited for the activity that makes it worth 10-15k$ an acre. But it IS well suited for a campground.
Do you suppose details like this might change the number you proposed?