Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2021, 08:28 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post
Hello. I'm a new member from central IL. I made an introduction thread, but it's going pretty slow so far. We've been rving for the last few years on a fairly small scale, but we enjoy it alot. Everything changed for us last year when we were broken into repeatedly. Our "dream home" isn't so appealing anymore. We planned to full time for a bit, see some of America, before deciding where to land. I have family in tx and wy, both with acreage. Both have offered long term rv parking with no strings. So summers up north and winters where it's warm.. Sounds great to me, and my job would allow me to find work most anywhere. The sale of our house would finance a long period to decide. We were getting ready to list the house when my wife balked. She's having trouble leaving "home".
This is where the rv park came along. We've discussed it before as a "retirement" job, since we're starting to look that direction. She mentioned a property that would have been a great place for one, but had sold and went back to farmland. That reminded me of another property that is as far as I can tell, nearly perfect.
It looks like I can buy it very reasonably. It's near several things that draw rvers for several different reasons. Now, I'm purposefully going to be vague so as not to reveal the location till the deal is a little further along. There is a sporting event that happens with great regularity within a few miles. The owner of the venue said that they could probably fill my site every weekend, all summer long.
It has a long shoreline, and a beautiful pond. Water draws fishermen, hunters, etc.
It's large, and has potential for portions to be sold for development to help pay back the investment.
It's already been improved for a different use, but that use complements my vision. Office building, out buildings, a restaurant with living quarters upstairs. BTW, I have no interest in fighting a two front war. The bar/restaurant would be rented out to someone else. But nearly guaranteed income.
My normally unflappable, chronically conservative banker is even excited about the idea..
Starting a business in this economic environment, and in IL to boot is daunting. But no less than selling out to full time rv. And I'm about as well suited to this as anyone can be. I've worked as a mechanic, maintenance man (factory not janitor), fabricator/welder, and now an electrician. I have many an hour trenching in conduit and water lines, and maintaining it when done. I already own or have access to quite a bit of equipment, and the ability to run it all. In a nutshell, a jack of all trades.
So to sum it all up. I have the financial means. The ability to accomplish most of the needed work myself. A pile of friends with similar skills. And the inside line on the property which hasn't even been listed yet.
BUT, I've never owned or operated a business. I see this as a major con. However, everyone starts somewhere. And if I can't hack it, I still have the land, or the option to sell out to an outfit that can..
Opinions? Let me have it..

Take an online business management course. Hotel management/ rental management. Check out your area requirements, ordinances, permits, sewage availability, water, electric availability. Will a traffic light or other highway/ street improvements be required. LIABILITY insurance!!! Do not put all your money in it, borrow 1/2. Interest is low and the old saying use other peoples money to make money. Make a business plan with blueprints of the site, you may want to change up a few things along the way, but you need a good business plan. There is a lot of information gathering prior to investing in something like this. Do NOT rush into it. BOL!!!
Red Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:45 AM   #122
Laverne & Surely

Lot's of advice

You now have all the advice in the World from many sources. We own a restaurant and our Son operates it full time (and is buying the business from us). We are retired as well. Spent 35 years in corporate America... I would never retire to run a business again... Weekly payroll, employee performance reviews, hiring & firing, FICA, Workers Comp, minimum wage increases, Taxes, bad reviews/good reviews on social media, maintenance planning, local ordinances, insurance, customer complaints, marketing, licensing, legal compliance, inflation, supply chain issues, COVID.... 'nuf said. It is a lot of work unless you hire the work out (there goes the profit). But if it is a dream, DO IT. You can always sell it off and make the profit between the equity and write-offs for losses. Good luck!!!
Vudu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:09 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post
Hello. I'm a new member from central IL. I made an introduction thread, but it's going pretty slow so far. We've been rving for the last few years on a fairly small scale, but we enjoy it alot. Everything changed for us last year when we were broken into repeatedly. Our "dream home" isn't so appealing anymore. We planned to full time for a bit, see some of America, before deciding where to land. I have family in tx and wy, both with acreage. Both have offered long term rv parking with no strings. So summers up north and winters where it's warm.. Sounds great to me, and my job would allow me to find work most anywhere. The sale of our house would finance a long period to decide. We were getting ready to list the house when my wife balked. She's having trouble leaving "home".
This is where the rv park came along. We've discussed it before as a "retirement" job, since we're starting to look that direction. She mentioned a property that would have been a great place for one, but had sold and went back to farmland. That reminded me of another property that is as far as I can tell, nearly perfect.
It looks like I can buy it very reasonably. It's near several things that draw rvers for several different reasons. Now, I'm purposefully going to be vague so as not to reveal the location till the deal is a little further along. There is a sporting event that happens with great regularity within a few miles. The owner of the venue said that they could probably fill my site every weekend, all summer long.
It has a long shoreline, and a beautiful pond. Water draws fishermen, hunters, etc.
It's large, and has potential for portions to be sold for development to help pay back the investment.
It's already been improved for a different use, but that use complements my vision. Office building, out buildings, a restaurant with living quarters upstairs. BTW, I have no interest in fighting a two front war. The bar/restaurant would be rented out to someone else. But nearly guaranteed income.
My normally unflappable, chronically conservative banker is even excited about the idea..
Starting a business in this economic environment, and in IL to boot is daunting. But no less than selling out to full time rv. And I'm about as well suited to this as anyone can be. I've worked as a mechanic, maintenance man (factory not janitor), fabricator/welder, and now an electrician. I have many an hour trenching in conduit and water lines, and maintaining it when done. I already own or have access to quite a bit of equipment, and the ability to run it all. In a nutshell, a jack of all trades.
So to sum it all up. I have the financial means. The ability to accomplish most of the needed work myself. A pile of friends with similar skills. And the inside line on the property which hasn't even been listed yet.
BUT, I've never owned or operated a business. I see this as a major con. However, everyone starts somewhere. And if I can't hack it, I still have the land, or the option to sell out to an outfit that can..
Opinions? Let me have it..
I'll start off by saying I didn't read through all the replies, so maybe everything I'll say has already been said.

This sounds like an exciting opportunity that could be a lot of fun... and a lot of a headache. Personally once I'm able to retire, I plan to actually retire and do what I want to do. Owning a hospitality business where I have to manage workers, do payroll, pay taxes, handle customers, fix things, etc. sounds like a full time job to me. If that's what you want in "retirement," than it sounds like you're making a great decision. Personally I think owning an RV park and dealing with everything that comes with it would probably make me want to sell my RV. And not just because it wouldn't be fun, but because I'd be stuck at the campground working all the time with no time to travel!

But, I'm no entrepreneur. I like clocking in and clocking out, collecting a steady paycheck, tucking away consistently for retirement, taking vacation while being paid, etc. So take my advice for what it's worth.

Good luck and
Old 07-30-2021, 09:27 AM   #124

IL statutes on campgrounds

Most states have statutes on campgrounds. California even has a department with all kinds of silly regulations (like being able to have 1 residence building in the campground).

Here is the laws that I found on google for Illinois.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilc...7&ChapterID=21
Kevin Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:38 AM   #125

More regs for IL campgrounds

https://dph.illinois.gov/sites/defau...let-042216.pdf
Kevin Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:46 AM   #126
Site Team

For OP ==> Last Activity: 07-26-2021 05:53 PM.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 40; Booked for 2022 = 70
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:46 AM   #127

Sounds like a good option let me know when you pull the trigger

My wife and I are looking for a place in Central IL to stay with a full hookup. If you get this done let me know. We also live in Central IL.
dcfroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:56 AM   #128

We, and I suspect many campers, look first for electric (if not boondocking which we do too) and if water thatís great but water taps on site are fine too. Sewer is definitely a third level issue. We can go 4 days without, much longer if there are decent bathrooms on site. So if you want to phase in, do the electric first. Then the plumbing. And figure out the sewer last, meanwhile have a dumping station nearby available that you can give people a chit for, or a dump station on-site even better. Sewage trucks, no experience seems like a hassle which days they are there vs when Iím coming and going; seem more suited to long term camping. Good luck. PS: anything near Chicago is desperately needed but land must be ridiculously pricedÖ
Old 07-30-2021, 11:02 AM   #129

Second PS: owning a campground is about the physical property but also it’s the hospitality industry. Make sure you are ready to work with “people” which I put in quotes because often they don’t act like humans. Dealing with customers can be great and satisfying but a lot of people these days are 100% self-centered and will scream and yell (literally) about their ”rights.” They will complain if you have a lot of rules (which define their “rights”) and complain if you don’t have a lot of rules. Good subject for discussion with your DW. Are you up for this? It takes a certain personality to stay balanced and roll with the punches, not take it personally. Some people are awesome at this, others get p-ed off and burned out. Again, good luck!
Old 07-30-2021, 11:41 AM   #130
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
For OP ==> Last Activity: 07-26-2021 05:53 PM.
Oh yeah, they're gone. Took their ball and went home.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:10 PM   #131

Septic

I'm sorry if this has already been covered - I didn't want to read through all the pages. Sounds like a fun time! (of course, there's going to be ton of work and problems, but still....) Anyway, we're at a permanent site in WI. They have a dump station for transients. For the seasonals, there is no septic but we each have a 500 gal waste tank. All black and gray waste goes in there. We call to have them pump it out when it's full. They charge us for the pump, but it's not too bad. That might be a solution for your waterfront sites. Of course, you'd have to check zoning, EPA, blah, blah but it's a thought. Have fun!
Old 07-30-2021, 01:55 PM   #132

If there is a SCORE office near by they can be a big help. Buy the property, do a business plan, chase your dreams!
KevKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:56 AM   #133

Do you have plan for injury or illness? If you are out of commission can your wife take over or someone else? We can't always plan for every thing that can go wrong but I think it is a good idea to at least formulate back up plans for any possible emergencies you can think of.
Daniwa is offline   Reply With Quote