Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Was View Post
As a business owner in IL, I would find another state to open a business in. IL is horrible to its businesses. Commercial Property taxes alone are reason enough to get out. I'm stuck till I sell my business and retire. Go to business friendly state where you can make a profit and keep some of it!
That was my original plan. But this seems to be such a wonderful deal. I had considered buying the dirt, starting the build then trying to market it to koa..
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:47 PM   #42

If it's farmland and or around farmland, what's the noise and odor situation? Especially during fertilization season or harvest season.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:50 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
If it's farmland and or around farmland, what's the noise and odor situation? Especially during fertilization season or harvest season.
I'm sure there will be some noise and dust. But not enough to bother any but the most sensitive. And only a few days in spring and fall. If you're asking about manure spreading, that's pretty uncommon in these parts. The property is hemmed in on one side by water, a highway on the other, a subdivision on one end, and a field on the farthest short end. Pretty safe.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:51 PM   #44

And I was in Talladega a few months ago right by the raceway and there were many RV parks for sale that look like they've been abandoned for a while

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
And I was in Talladega a few months ago right by the raceway and there were many RV parks for sale that look like they've been abandoned for a while
Nascar is dieing. Some other sports are growing.. perhaps the parks competed each other right out of business? Idk. I've seen other electricians fail, should I quit that too? 🤔
Old 07-24-2021, 05:27 PM   #46
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post
It's pretty much the wild west out here. If you satisfy the powerc company, you get power. There are no code inspectors outside of the larger towns. The state has plumbing inspectors for big enough jobs, which I have to look into. And the health dept inspects sewage projects like septic systems, which will probably be what I have to have. And kitchens if you serve food, which I don't plan to.

Water can be had from a shallow sand point well. Easy to install, cheap, low maintenance. But will probably need a health inspection that consists mainly of measuring to the nearest septic system.
Most CG's these days have concrete holding tanks for sewage and have them pumped out by third party. Septic systems, especially for a campground takes up a lot of space with tanks and leach fields. You're not going to be able to put campsites on a leach field. Automatically, those areas are instant overhead.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:35 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Most CG's these days have concrete holding tanks for sewage and have them pumped out by third party. Septic systems, especially for a campground takes up a lot of space with tanks and leach fields. You're not going to be able to put campsites on a leach field. Automatically, those areas are instant overhead.
Thanks, good point. It will be interesting to see what the existing buildings are hooked to. I know there's city sewer Less than a mile away, but I'm not sure how far out it runs. Questions for the list..
Old 07-24-2021, 05:37 PM   #48

Campground investing

Keep in mind that an RV Park is both a real estate investment AND a business investment. That is partly why so many RV parks are very expensive compared to their cash flow.

They are also seasonal. Scale is important both to match the market demand and to achieve enough scale to crack the overhead nut consistently.

In a good area with lots of RV campsite demand the business can be worthwhile. However some campgrounds actually depend on the camp store to make a profit (beer sales!).

As campers we like to a avoid campgrounds with a lot of long term residents. Campground owners often depend on these long term renters to pay the bills during off season.

Good luck.
SantaFe big sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:36 PM   #49

Quote:
I had considered buying the dirt, starting the build then trying to market it to koa..
If you're thinking of selling to KOA, they don't usually buy campgrounds, they franchise to owners. They have assistance available to help you if you're interested.
We've run into many campgrounds that started out as KOAs and after a few years became independent. We've also seen the opposite where campgrounds want to become a KOA and they have to make improvements to follow 'the KOA way'.
You can at least find out what's involved before you start to haul dirt. Info here:
https://ownakoa.com/build-a-koa/requirements/
Old 07-24-2021, 08:43 PM   #50

Thanks again. My wife had heard an internet rumor they were on a buying spree.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:13 PM   #51

youtube
RVODDCOUPLE

https://youtu.be/jXYH_RTfBmo

they have just recently bought a defunct campground and are now posting about once a week or more of their "adventure" figuring out how to best get this campground in Alabama going again...

You could reach out to them via email and pick their brain...

I think that I would rather have a campground in a place where it is warm most of the year.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:14 PM   #52

I live in a resident owned RV park in Florida. Celebrating our 50 year and debt free. We have about 575 sites, 3 wells (2 required) with water treatment. Sewage treatment facilities including holding tanks and holding ponds. Treated water is used to water the 9 hole golf course. Paid employees include about 5 office, 5 maintenance, and one general manager. Lawn equipment is leased, Trees trimmed once a year or as required. The county is in daily checking the water and sewage treatment for compliance. We have fire and rescue on site, Pasco County 33, maned by trained volunteer residents. Don't forget the swimming pool, spa, and doggie park.

We just entered a new contract for the latest and greatest internet and TV, Fiber optic into the park and individual very high speed coax cable to each site.

As I travel the country, destination campgrounds are full all week long, run of the mill, stone paved facilities end up with (your choice) to pay the bills. People, especially the wife, likes a nice, safe, clean place to stay. And they are willing to pay for it.

Good Luck on your venture.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:19 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
youtube
RVODDCOUPLE

https://youtu.be/jXYH_RTfBmo

they have just recently bought a defunct campground and are now posting about once a week or more of their "adventure" figuring out how to best get this campground in Alabama going again...

You could reach out to them via email and pick their brain...

I think that I would rather have a campground in a place where it is warm most of the year.
I've considered it. Warm year round would be nice. Warm most of the year and stupid hot the rest of the year doesn't sound great at all. They're in Alabama. Imnused to 90s with 80% humidity, but down there is ridiculous.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:10 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBreeze View Post
MUST HAVE A BUSINESS PLAN
This x 1,000,000,000,000,000,000

I noticed you hadn't replied to this post (unless I missed it). This is the best advice so far. If you start this adventure without a business plan, you will fail. And NJBreeze is offering to help you write it. I would be PMing him/her/them ASAP and put all your emotions in a bottle for now. Once you go through the agonizing details required in a GOOD business plan, you will know whether you really want to do this or not.
1200W solar > 412 Ah LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:00 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
This x 1,000,000,000,000,000,000

I noticed you hadn't replied to this post (unless I missed it). This is the best advice so far. If you start this adventure without a business plan, you will fail. And NJBreeze is offering to help you write it. I would be PMing him/her/them ASAP and put all your emotions in a bottle for now. Once you go through the agonizing details required in a GOOD business plan, you will know whether you really want to do this or not.
I sent a pm. Haven't heard back.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #56

I started my first business when I was 8 yrs old. Had subsequent self employed ventures all my life and was also employed a few times by others. It is my suggestion that unless you have "always" wanted to be self employed. Don't do it. The goal of self employment, in my view, is the major driver for any successful entrepreneur.

It appears to me that you are wishing for the RV Life first and to run a business second. IN my opinion, that is backwards to what is most likely to make you happy and successful. I was self employed from 33 yrs old until I retired at 57 and am now 68. I would have made more money, had more free time, and less headaches working for others. However, I would not have changed a thing.

The goal of self employment was paramount. The type of business(es) was secondary. It is my opinion, that if at this stage of your life you have not already created at least several businesses. You are unlikely to enjoy doing so.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:05 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinthekeys View Post
I started my first business when I was 8 yrs old. Had subsequent self employed ventures all my life and was also employed a few times by others. It is my suggestion that unless you
I understand your line of thinking. And its hard to convey all the reasons I never struck out on my own. But some are, 1. being promised a part in our family farm up until my brothers son got old enough that they were able to skip over me completely. They lied their way through years of free labor on the promise of future gains. 2, Having an unplanned child, and the resulting disaster. I have a wonderful, successful son. Whose mother did everything possible to sabotage, cheat, and steal. When your court ordered to keep health insurance on that child putting off self employment makes sense. 3, After putting together all the tools and equipment to be able to start my own business, having an old friend call up with an offer for employment with a LARGE increase in pay, and semi autonomy. 4, being repeatedly burglarized, losing a large portion of your tools. And selling the others in preparation for leaving to full time, only to be reigned in by the wife.

I plan to sell our current rv and TV to help finance this project. At least after finding out if I need it to live in while remodeling one of the structures there. I love the freedom of having an rv. But I'm far too realistic to keep a valuable asset while it ages and depreciates.

My choices as of today are keep it and go full time. Or sell it and start this park. I hope that clarifies my position.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:38 AM   #58

Quote:
I've considered it. Warm year round would be nice. Warm most of the year and stupid hot the rest of the year doesn't sound great at all. They're in Alabama. Imnused to 90s with 80% humidity, but down there is ridiculous.
You picked one sentence to respond to in my post... and ignored the bulk of the message.

Personally, I do not consider IL a destination location where I would want to camp for more than 1 night while traveling somewhere else.

I have nothing but warm wishes for you and anyone that wants to go out on their own and pursue their dream.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:51 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
You picked one sentence to respond to in my post... and ignored the bulk of the message.

Personally, I do not consider IL a destination location where I would want to camp for more than 1 night while traveling somewhere else.

I have nothing but warm wishes for you and anyone that wants to go out on their own and pursue their
I acknowledged the rv odd couple, and that I had considered contacting them. Although I hate to bother anyone by contacting them directly this soon in the process. I replied to your opinion the a war,er place would be more to your liking with my own opinion. Illinois is not a destination per say. But there are alot of people here with rvs, and many are happy to just shuffle around the local sites. Many just use the rv as a home base for weekend activities. There's alot of driving here, things aren't close together. Many people don't like to risk a deer collision driving home from nighttime events. So they take the rv and make a weekend out of it. The state parks, resorts and even the few privates stay pretty darn busy. Alot of it are people from town just looking to hit the lake for the weekend, burn a fire and drink with friends..
Old 07-25-2021, 10:50 AM   #60

All I can say is make sure you get the word out to all the channels possible after you finish (websites, apps, maps, etc). You can also consider whether you want to offer other amenities like on-site shower & bath for "real" campers, laundry, and/or playground, pool and other "family friendly" attractions that will for sure cost more initially but may attract a wider variety of customers. Lastly make sure you have great, fast WiFi coverage.

Good luck.
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote