Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #1

Buying from outer state

Hello!

Newbie here.

Thinking about driving across country in the near future with the wife and son to experience this wonderful land. At the same time, stop by one of the dealerships and buy a travel trailer.

Interested in something like the 2306 or 1809S model. I currently have a 15 feet travel trailer Funfinder.

How difficult would it be for such a transaction for outer state purchase? People buy cars from outer states all the time and the dealership calculates tax at the buyer's resident state bracket, etc. I assume the travel trailer is the same in terms of paperwork. Talked to RV Wholesaler and they told me its really easy. They told me to put a 1k deposit, pick up the trailer and pay the quoted price plus doc fees of around $300 and 6% tax upfront. The remainder of the tax pay at my home state (Los Angeles County is 8.75% less the 6%).

I am currently in Southern California and everything here is expensive. The idea of experiencing America and buying a new trailer for less is intriguing.

I currently have a new 2012 Tacoma Double Cab V6 (tow rated at 6400lbs).

Thanks for your feedback.

Tntrac
tntrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Site Team

we were also tired of the pricing ripoffs that occur out here on RVs made in the Midwest.

we ended buying from a dealer in Chicago and going there and back with our new Rockwood Roo.
even after trip costs, we still saved $4000 over the lowest price out here, for the same exact trailer.
FR found other local FR and non-FR dealers that were happy to do the warranty work.

personally, your v-6 Taco is going to really limit what you buy and if you're planning on seeing the country, your choices might get real cramped after awhile.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
we were also tired of the pricing ripoffs that occur out here on RVs made in the Midwest.

we ended buying from a dealer in Chicago and going there and back with our new Rockwood Roo.
even after trip costs, we still saved $4000 over the lowest price out here, for the same exact trailer.
FR found other local FR and non-FR dealers that were happy to do the warranty work.

personally, your v-6 Taco is going to really limit what you buy and if you're planning on seeing the country, your choices might get real cramped after awhile.
Thanks for the reply. So far the models that fit the truck are 1809S, 2306, and 2109S. I think we will be happy from our current size of 15 ft (box only 11 feet).

Since you from Calif. I like to ask you a few questions.

Was the DMV process painless? Did you have to pay a partial of the tax up front to the dealer and the remainder at the DMV? Any hidden fees?
Old 06-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #4

In California you will pay sales tax no matter what unless you take delivery out of state.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
In California you will pay sales tax no matter what unless you take delivery out of state.
I am happy to pay the taxes but just want to make sure what the dealer is telling me about paying the 6% upfront is legit.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #6

I live in NY and purchased my TT from a dealer in NJ. In NY you pay the sales tax when you goto the DMV to register it. I paid no sales tax when I took delivery in NJ the dealer issued a temp 30 day tag so we could get it home.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:44 AM   #7

Just as a suggestion, have you tried taking a hard copy of the specs/pricing of the unit you are looking at buying at one of the out of state dealers to a local dealer and seeing if they will come close to the price?

There was a $20K delta between US and Canadian pricing on the unit we wanted but we found a local delaer who came very close to the price we were going to pay in Texas. I had to deal directly with the GM of the dealership to make the deal but given the problems we initially had with the unit I was happy to have the dealer I bought it from close to me to apply pressure on for fixes.
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #8

Our sales tax is 7%; RVW wanted to charge us only 6% sales tax but were willing to add the extra 1%. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the TT to be built and delivered.

Jenn & Joe
JJFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFerg View Post
Our sales tax is 7%; RVW wanted to charge us only 6% sales tax but were willing to add the extra 1%. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the TT to be built and delivered.

Jenn & Joe

Interesting. I am curious how the home state receives the tax amount.

Sinkorswim,

I haven't done the local negotiating yet but have gone to a few RV shows and the prices were so highly off.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #10

The dealer will forward the sales tax that you pay to the state where you want to register it, I am told that CA will go after you if the live there and want to register it in say MT or SD.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Broken Toe

In missouri, we have to pay sales tax on the vehicle when we apply for title and plates. We paid no sales tax to RVW.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
In missouri, we have to pay sales tax on the vehicle when we apply for title and plates. We paid no sales tax to RVW.

Tim
I got to call my local DMV to see how it works. I would hate to pay RVW 6% upfront and then go to my home state and have them ask me to pay the full amount.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #13

I paid my dealer in pa the sales tax he then wrote me a check with the bill of sale and the rest of the paper work and a temp tag so i can pay the md sales tax it went so easy doing this
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #14

You should not pay any DMV fees if you are buying out of state to the purchasing dealer. Out of state dealers don't have any responsibility to collect DMV fees and then send that money to CA DMV. They should issue you a temporary license for their state. That does not mean you will be legal traveling through other states, but you will probably be OK.

Now CA is a little different, you may have to stop at the first DMV office you reach in CA and to get a temporary permit to get the trailer home. You will have to pay CA license fees and sales tax when you register the trailer in CA. Don't even think about buying a new car out of state because CA will not register it unless it has 7500 miles on it.

Call CA DMV before you head out of state to make sure you have all the information you need.

Much easier here in Oregon. I purchased a TH from a Dealer in Texas. I made sure I had the deal in writing before I made the trip all they way there. They gave me temporary Texas paper plate. When I got home Had to take it to Oregon DMV so they could verify the Vin number. Oregon really does not care much, no sales tax.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #15

We bought ours out of state and paid the Ca. sale tax in California. And we took delivery in Oregon.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #16

We purchased a 2306 from RV Wholesalers and saw significant savings even when our travel costs were factored into the mix. We did not pay sales tax during the transaction at RVW. That cost was incurred when we registered the TT with PA DMV.

I also have a Tacoma V6 Double Cab with the tow package and can tell you that the 2306 places us near the threshold of comfortable towing. The Tacoma performs nicely, averaging 10-12 mpg depending upon the conditions and the landscape; however, I would not be comfortable towing with the Tacoma in the Rockies. Not saying it won't perform, but I would prefer a V8 with a wider wheelbase for traveling in the Rockies based on my experience towing in the mountains of PA.

My wife and I love our 2306. It's perfect for the two of us and still functional with four people, but a little crowded. The only thing I would do differently would be to get the murphy bed. This would free up some interior space and allow for more sitting comfort if the weather forces you indoors; otherwise, we couldn't be happier with our purchase.
Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #17

Bought my first 5th wheel in Wisconsin in 2000. Tax was 5% which was more than I would have paid in Colorado, So didn't have to pay any Colo. tax.
Bought second at Cheyenne (R. V.?) in Iowa in 2010. Didn't pay any Iowa tax, But paid Colo. Tax when registering it.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote