Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 03:17 AM   #1

Buying Towing Dolly From Craigs List?

We are looking for a towing dolly to pull a car behind our 2006 SunSeeker 3100. The "American Car Dolly" looks like it would fit our needs because of its 6500 pound weight limit. Our cars are a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan, and a 2001 Prius 4-door. After waiting, literally months, for the deliveryman to make a trip to northern California, we are giving up on getting a new one and are now looking at the used market. Craigs List turned up a year-old one in Bakersfield, about 300 miles from us. I sent a message to the ad, enquiring if the unit is still available. Having read about all the scams on that particular site, is there anything we can do to protect ourselves? We plan to pay cash for the dolly if it is still for sale, if that matters. Also, I noticed that none of the dollies for sale in California had license plates. Are they necessary? K-R.
Kchula-Rrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #2

I sold a like new dolly on Craigslist and see lots of them for sale around here (Atlanta). I think the only worry might be if it is stolen. Don't hand over the money until you see and inspect the dolly. Like buying anything else used, you never know if the seller is being honest about any problems, so look it over pretty hard.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:58 AM   #3

I have one for sale but in Southern California. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1466085366.461994.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	111274 I was told by DMV when I brought and reg this one that you didn't have to have license plate but I went ahead and got one just to ensure all was on the up. I bought this used from a rental place going out of business so it's heavy duty. We used once for a trip to Northern California and it was great in snow, rain and wind. We are moving to a place that doesn't have a lot of room to store it and all the other things I have. $900

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2016 FR3 28DS
Old 06-16-2016, 09:10 AM   #4

If you need expert advice, maybe you could agree to meet at a garage and have a mechanic look it over.
Also, there are sometimes cases of violence and robbery using items for sale as a trick to get a potential buyer in an isolated area. I have heard that some places have safe zones for people to meet for various reasons. They are cameras on these areas, and sometimes people can meet at a police station.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #5

Buyer beware

When buying anything over a couple hundred dollars on craigslist i ALWAYS ask to see the sellers ID a good practice.....If they refuse,buy elseware...
Old 06-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #6

The police here recommend making the transaction at the police station. There have been issues in neighboring towns when dealing with cash

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #7

I Carry my gun with me on EVERY Craigslist deal.....I feel bad sometimes, but it's the world we live in. My local PD actually has a craigslist area set up now that just came online a month or two ago.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #8

A trailer originally comes with a Certificate of Origin. States vary as to license plate requirements/Certificates of Origin/ titles. In some states, trailer license plates are not required and you keep the Certificate of Origin as proof of ownership. Other states require a license plate, require that you give up the Certificate of Origin to the state, but do not issue titles. The proof of ownership is the license plate registration card. Other states have the option of getting a title by applying for license plates and surrendering the Certificate of Origin or not having a license plate and keeping the Certificate of Origin as proof of ownership. The problem with Certificates of Origin is that there is no real means of transferring from one person to another. So it is a real craps shoot.

If you are buying privately, check the laws for your specific state and the state the trailer originally came from. Require that you see an official document proving ownership and that the proof coincides with the vin on the trailer. Also ask for a notarized written receipt/affidavit from the seller with the seller' complete information, vin number and description of the trailer and affirming it is not stolen and there are no liens on the trailer. If possible, take it to a DMV facility to have it run through their records before purchasing. Or, verify the vin number on the trailer, take the VIN information to the DMV, tell them that you anticipate buying the trailer, and ask them to check it for stolen. If the seller balks at any of this, walk away.

As for scammers, if you are travelling any distance to purchase, ask for a current date stamp photo. If they don't have it to sell, they will not be able to provide a dated photo. Do not communicate solely via email. Require that they give you a valid call-back phone number and call it. Code the number into your phone contact directory as CL Car Dolly Ad and seller's name. A phone number is more easily tracked than an email address. The same goes for selling an item. Require that they call you and you can document the caller's number.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #9
John Schaefer

Buying Towing Dolly

I had a similar situation last year. Needed a tow dolly worthy of towing a 2006 VW New Beetle and/or 2013 Kia sedan. Did lots of research and decided to purchase an Acme EZE Tow Dolly. Bought direct from manufacturer at [URL="http://cartowdolly.com/store/"].

I needed one within ten days of ordering and they delivered from North Carolina to Boise, Idaho in 6 days! Simple to assemble, easy to lock down the vehicle on the dolly I purchased the Hydraulic Disc Brake model. Have towed for 6 trips (@3000 miles) without incident. No license tag required. Suggest a spare tire and a set of spare straps. Also, I carry a 1 & 1/8" wrench to tighten the strap ratchets before traveling and at least once after a few miles and again after 25 miles. Rarely can I tighten the straps at the 25 mile check.

Tow is smooth. No slewing. No drag. You could forget you're towing. I keep my rear view camera focused on the vehicle and dolly just for assurance that all is well.

Got great advice and suggestions from sales over the phone at:

Acme Tow Dolly Co. LLc
1031 E Mountain St
bld 305 Ste 110
Kernersville NC 27284
Phone: 336-996-4396
Fax: 336-993-2229
Email us at acmetowdolly@gmail.com

Also they have excellent video instructions on their web site.

Jack Schaefer
2015 Coachmen Freelander
Johnjschaeferjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Since I am considering a motorhome in our near future, I am curious about the tow rating on the Sunseeker. Can it tow a dollied Grand Cherokee, Caravan, or Prius?

The Prius maybe, but the other two plus dolly would be pretty heavy.

For example, the max weight towed on the Georgetown is 5,000 pounds total and that would include dolly weight if you dolly the car.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Make sure you get a clear title to the dolly and do the transaction in public with witnesses.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:30 AM   #12

Kchula-Rrit

You ordered a dolly from the American car dolly folks.....and they never delivered??

I also was considering that brand,but not with with that kind of service
Moose61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:56 AM   #13

Check with your state as to what is required. In some states titles and tags are required on tow dollys' in some states they are not. If a title is not required in your state get a bill of sale at minimum.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:20 AM   #14

I looked at the ACME EZ tow dolly, liked it except the seller thought I should pay more than a new one, then found a Road Master and bought it for $1000. Used it one time and sold it for $1200, after selling the Jayco motor home and getting the new FR 5th wheel.

There are lots of very nice tow dollies on Craigslist for sale, year round, some cheap, some priced right and some priced high.

Good luck.

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:54 AM   #15

Sunseeker tow rating

Herk7769: My 2016 Sun Seeker 3010DS is rated to tow 7500 lbs.
lakewood90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewood90 View Post
Herk7769: My 2016 Sun Seeker 3010DS is rated to tow 7500 lbs.
The E350 cutaway is rated to tow 5,000 lbs. The E450 cutaway chassis is rated to tow 7,500 lbs. No certain, but the newest E350 cutaways may now match the E450 towing capacity.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:26 AM   #17

We found one! The guy in Bakersfield never responded, so I contacted the next one we found, in Fresno, about two hours less-far-away than Bakersfield. Next day, we were in Fresno, visiting the very nice couple who sold us the unit. Humorous note: On the way down I kept thinking of the Tim Hawkins song called "Pretty Pink Tractor." It's about a man who buys something off Craig's List without looking at it first. Look it up on YouTube, I thought it was pretty funny. I'm glad to say that our experience went much better than Mr. Hawkins. K-R. NOTE: This is my fourth attempt at posting; the Web-Site keeps messing up my text! Apologies.
Kchula-Rrit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing