Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2021, 11:24 PM   #1
Always Learning

Buying Wheel Weight Scales

Now that I’m stationary dab smack next to a half dozen campgrounds, I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting a set of individual wheel weight scales. But frankly, I’m not even sure where you start shopping for such a thing!

I’ll also have to figure out a place to actually do it, of course. But that seems like the easier nut to crack.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:33 PM   #2

Jit’s google wheel weight scales... here is a start...

https://www.gecscales.com/truck-scal...-wheel-scales/

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:47 PM   #3

Amazon has them (of course)... https://www.amazon.com/Scale-Wheel-W.../dp/B00CBFT87S

Seems like you could weigh RVs right at their campground if they were willing to hook up and move a few feet for Trailers and 5th wheels. MHs could just pull forward and back.

I’m sure you could mount or lay on some appropriate sized board for support.

The set from Amazon looks like 2 scales which would be good for dually wheels.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:08 AM   #4

You might be able to get some advice from the Escapees RV club. They have a SmartWeigh site just up the road from you in Bushnell FL. We've been to the one in Livingston TX and they have a permanent site where they will do individual wheel weight measurements
https://www.escapees.com/education/smartweigh/
Old 03-05-2021, 01:42 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
You might be able to get some advice from the Escapees RV club. They have a SmartWeigh site just up the road from you in Bushnell FL. We've been to the one in Livingston TX and they have a permanent site where they will do individual wheel weight measurements
https://www.escapees.com/education/smartweigh/
I’ve actually been to that one in Bushnell. But it’s been like 6 years now. They had a pad setup that the scales were recessed in. It was quite impressive.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:43 AM   #6
Always Learning

For folks who have weighed at rallies, I assume you just pulled on top of the scales at a flat spot setup somewhere? Seems like the scales I’m finding are like 2” thick and come with ramps.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:44 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Seems like you could weigh RVs right at their campground if they were willing to hook up and move a few feet for Trailers and 5th wheels. MHs could just pull forward and back.

I’m sure you could mount or lay on some appropriate sized board for support.

The set from Amazon looks like 2 scales which would be good for dually wheels.
I wonder if soft ground would be a problem. Most of the campsites nearby are not paved.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I wonder if soft ground would be a problem. Most of the campsites nearby are not paved.
Yes, I would imagine if you layer the scale on ground that was going to allow the scale to sink would be an issue. I would assume at some point the sinking would stop and you would get a good measurement but then have to dig your scale out of the dirt.

That was why I suggested a hard surface like wood or lynx blocks. We use then]m all the time to level our RVs so I guess they would work. Key word there was ‘guess’...

I guess the bigger concern for me would be that you have competition close. You would probably have to take it to customers versus having them come to you.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:17 AM   #9

Quote:
I’ve actually been to that one in Bushnell. But it’s been like 6 years now. They had a pad setup that the scales were recessed in. It was quite impressive.
I'll bet the Escapees could tell you what kind of scales work. Profit doesn't seem as important to them as making sure rvers are safe, but I could be wrong.

They take portable scales to their rallies. In this picture, they are weighing on a parking lot. https://escapade.escapees.com/escapade-home/smartweigh/
Old 03-05-2021, 11:33 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Yes, I would imagine if you layer the scale on ground that was going to allow the scale to sink would be an issue. I would assume at some point the sinking would stop and you would get a good measurement but then have to dig your scale out of the dirt.

That was why I suggested a hard surface like wood or lynx blocks. We use then]m all the time to level our RVs so I guess they would work. Key word there was ‘guess’...

I guess the bigger concern for me would be that you have competition close. You would probably have to take it to customers versus having them come to you.
I don't think I mind that. I'm less than 10 miles from literally 6 different RV parks. Could be fun running around and weighing folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I'll bet the Escapees could tell you what kind of scales work. Profit doesn't seem as important to them as making sure rvers are safe, but I could be wrong.

They take portable scales to their rallies. In this picture, they are weighing on a parking lot. https://escapade.escapees.com/escapade-home/smartweigh/
Appreciate the idea and picture!
Old 03-05-2021, 01:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Now that I’m stationary dab smack next to a half dozen campgrounds, I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting a set of individual wheel weight scales. But frankly, I’m not even sure where you start shopping for such a thing!

I’ll also have to figure out a place to actually do it, of course. But that seems like the easier nut to crack.

Where are you located now?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:47 PM   #12

Portable scales only need to be on a firm/flat surface and level from scale to scale. Compact gravel is adequate and may only require some smoothing with a flat shovel.

Some plywood pieces the size of the scale base can be used for leveling.

Some scales sold on Amazon are only rated for 1,000#. Not much good for weighing at a wheel position where the weight can easily be over twice that amount.

Scales that CAN weigh heavier weights can run into the thousands of dollars.

Better have plenty of customers to justify that expense.

I think I'd just find a facility that can weigh individual wheel weights and use the $$ for something I'd use more frequently.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:47 PM   #13

Quote:
For folks who have weighed at rallies, I assume you just pulled on top of the scales at a flat spot setup somewhere? Seems like the scales I’m finding are like 2” thick and come with ramps.

If you've been to the FR International Rally, the weighing was done in about the same place you first stopped to check in for the rally. The big parking lot in front of a building. They had you stop, they positioned the scales in front of your wheels, drive forward a foot, and bingo. Wait a few minutes while they off loaded the numbers into their computer, they gave you a reading and you were on your way. A week or so later, you got an e-mail with a printout of the numbers.
I should note that they weighed twice at separate times, first time they wanted my truck loaded as if heading out with a full tank of gas. Then come back as we were leaving the rally all hooked up. They didn't do the "third" weight of hooked up without WD.

My guess is the reason to skip that weight - if the truck had reasonable F/R numbers loaded, it really didn't matter what they would be without the WD. They called TW, the truck weight difference between with and without the trailer.
I was happy the day I had mine done, they said I was the only rig in the green for all the important numbers and we were one of the last to get weighed.
FWIW, RVSEF posts a schedule of where they will be doing weighings. March 10 in GA at the FMCA convention. I saw that they will be at the FR rally again this year. I noted that they are looking to hire some folks to do the weighings. Info on their site: https://www.rvsafety.com/hiring-weigh-team
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Where are you located now?
I'm just outside of Orlando these days. About 2 miles from Lake Magic RV Resort in Clermont, FL.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:59 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Some scales sold on Amazon are only rated for 1,000#. Not much good for weighing at a wheel position where the weight can easily be over twice that amount.

Scales that CAN weigh heavier weights can run into the thousands of dollars.

Better have plenty of customers to justify that expense.

I think I'd just find a facility that can weigh individual wheel weights and use the $$ for something I'd use more frequently.
I was looking at this setup (either via Amazon or some other site):
https://www.amazon.com/Scale-Wheel-W.../dp/B00CBFT87S

Looks like each pad can weigh out 25,000 pounds and only about $2,000 for the whole kit (scales, wires, print out). It would take a while for it to pay for itself, of course but not horrendous.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
If you've been to the FR International Rally, the weighing was done in about the same place you first stopped to check in for the rally.

FWIW, RVSEF posts a schedule of where they will be doing weighings. March 10 in GA at the FMCA convention. I saw that they will be at the FR rally again this year. I noted that they are looking to hire some folks to do the weighings. Info on their site: https://www.rvsafety.com/hiring-weigh-team
Believe it or not, we've never made it to a FR rally. I've always wanted to, schedules just never lined up.

My only issue with RVSEF is they only do weighings at rallies and whatnot. Folks who don't do big events are generally left out - thus my thinking about picking up a set of scales for folks who roll through Orlando.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:09 AM   #17

Unless I'm missing something here , why would you spend that kind of money on scales when truck stops have certified scales you can use for a very small fee? A lot of landfills have them also for a really cheap sometimes free fee. They are checked regularly too.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:19 AM   #18

Every Rig at the International Rally Was Overweight (except 1)

[QUOTE=SailorSam20500;2511936]If you've been to the FR International Rally, the weighing was done in about the same place you first stopped to check in for the rally.

I should note that they weighed twice at separate times, first time they wanted my truck loaded as if heading out with a full tank of gas. Then come back as we were leaving the rally all hooked up.

I was happy the day I had mine done, they said I was the only rig in the green for all the important numbers and we were one of the last to get weighed.

You were "the only rig in the green for all the important numbers" at the entire International Rally?! ONLY ONE RIG at at entire rally was not overweight on the important stuff?! Does that mean every other rig at the rally was unsafe? Food for thought...
Old 03-06-2021, 01:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Chaos View Post
Unless I'm missing something here , why would you spend that kind of money on scales when truck stops have certified scales you can use for a very small fee? A lot of landfills have them also for a really cheap sometimes free fee. They are checked regularly too.
I think you are missing something. The scales at truck stops weigh your total weight on all 4 tires. On some scales you can maneuver so you can weigh just one side or the other and maybe you can get individual tire weights but to do this will require you to run across the scales many times. If the scale is not busy maybe not a problem but if a trucker or truckers are waiting it could be an issue not to mention the cost for multiple weighs.

With the setup the op is considering he can weigh each individual wheel to see how the weight is distributed on the RV, also the tv.

I would and am interested in the weight of each tire. I know both axles on 4 tires weigh 10,000 lbs but I’m sure the side of my RV with my kitchen weighs more than the other side but I don’t know by how muck. Is it 60/40 or what? I’d pay $50-$75 to know this for sure.

Also, it appears the op is not looking to make a living at this but wanting to help out his fellow RV’ers and pocket a little change.. at least that is how I read it.

Old 03-06-2021, 02:11 AM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Chaos View Post
Quote:
I think you are missing something. The scales at truck stops weigh your total weight on all 4 tires. On some scales you can maneuver so you can weigh just one side or the other and maybe you can get individual tire weights but to do this will require you to run across the scales many times. If the scale is not busy maybe not a problem but if a trucker or truckers are waiting it could be an issue not to mention the cost for multiple weighs.

With the setup the op is considering he can weigh each individual wheel to see how the weight is distributed on the RV, also the tv.

I would and am interested in the weight of each tire. I know both axles on 4 tires weigh 10,000 lbs but I’m sure the side of my RV with my kitchen weighs more than the other side but I don’t know by how muck. Is it 60/40 or what? I’d pay $50-$75 to know this for sure.

Also, it appears the op is not looking to make a living at this but wanting to help out his fellow RV’ers and pocket a little change.. at least that is how I read it.
Dalford is right- with a truck stop weighing, you’re going to get front truck wheels, rear truck wheels, and then both trailer axles combined. If you straddle scales, you might be able to get separate axle weights. A triple axle toy hauler is a hot mess to get individual axle weights.

I have done the Escapees individual wheel weights and I saw as much as a 500 on variance between the my heaviest tire and my lightest tire. It highlighted that I had 1 tire under weight, 2 maxed out, and 1 overloaded.

Plus yeah, I’m not retiring on $50-75 passes over my scales. I really just like helping the community.

Tags
scales, weight, wheel