Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #1

Camper Registration

We bought a 2018 Coachmen Apex last November in North Carolina. At the time we bought it, I didn't realize that the registration we were getting was a limited registration and expired in January. I lived in the camper for 4 months in NC and then in an apartment also in NC. Fast forward to this past weekend when I notice the date is expired on the trailer. We still have our home in Virginia (we were planning on selling it, but then COVID happened).

So my question is two-fold. I still technically work in NC, but have been on work from home orders since March. At any point in the next few months I could be told to come back to the office, at which point I'll have to find a place to live in NC (either with the trailer or without).

- Should I pay the personal property tax (even though I am not technically at the resident address anymore) and get this NC license up to date?
- Should I try to fill out the forms and mail in to Virginia to get the plates and registration here? I paid all my sales tax stuff when we bought it last year in NC. Would I have to pay that in Virginia? I have the limited registration card and can probably get the dealer to send me a copy of the receipt showing the tax paid. Getting into the DMV right now in Virginia is by appointment-only and the first available appointment near me is in January.
chrispt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:20 AM   #2

Where you hang your hat for work has little to do with residents for tax purposes. When I worked for Burningman I worked in NV but had residents in ID still had to pay ID taxes. I wold advise asking a tax professional and not rely on the forum answers like mine. good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper