Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We prefer to Camp and are outside when ever possible. The Only RVing we do is at Rallies to meet and converse and cause trouble with other like minded people. Still outside drinking beer or cocktails or coffee for some and smoking meat!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:00 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I've, also, noticed a difference based on what people were camping in.

Those in tents and pop-ups seem to stay outside the entire day..even when it's super hot while trailers not so much.

The big Class-A and 5th wheelers seem to be the most private but I get the reason why and don't blame them a bit.

lol....the "hotel on wheels" is a funny note...last year, we had our camper at the house prepping her for a trip and a neighbor came over asking about her. (They didn't do any kind of camping.) So I gave them the grand tour showing off Rocky and they said she was like a luxury hotel suite!

Us? We don't live outside but do love going for hikes with the dogs and we have yet to use our indoor stove for anything...always BBQ'ing something out on the grill. We do like to sit out in the cool of the morning and at sunset.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #23

Our TT is basically a hotel while we go see the sites. So we're just usually not there.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:41 PM   #24

DW is getting to be more of an innie than an outie. I'm about half and half. But as the temps pick up and I kick on the ac (roughing it!) I will be inside watching a movie until time to cook dinner then it's back out to BBQ!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:23 AM   #25

Not everyone is an extrovert. Introverts are the people who like to be alone more than they like to be in large groups of people. Introverts restore energy by spending quality time with themselves or small groups and consider to spend time in large groups of people draining and sometimes even frustrating. Introverts find outside stimulation to be unpleasant.

Don't judge introverts as weird and don't assume we are anti-social. Introverts are very selective who they socialize with and don't need as much social time as extroverts.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:22 AM   #26

We rarely "camp". If we're in a campground, its just a place for us to set up our "portable studio apartment".

If its noisy outside, loud kids, barking dogs, radios, TVs, etc, We are just as happy and content staying inside. If its quite outside, we may sit outside, drink a cup of coffee and read the paper.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:33 AM   #27
"On the road again"

My wife and I have often wondered what our neighbors think of us. We're generally in the fiver just long enough to get ready to go out and about...then back home for 5 or 10 minutes then on the road again.

We see other folks sitting out under their awning for hours - and that's great...for them.

But for us - we basically sleep (and occasionally eat) in our trailer - otherwise there's too much to see in this huge world!!

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #28
Insert witty title here

If the trailer's a rockin'.......

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Not everyone is an extrovert. Introverts are the people who like to be alone more .

That! I tend to travel mostly for dog events. Long hours of people and stimuli kicks the snot out of me. If I can come back to a quiet, uncrowded, peaceful campground, I'll stay out and enjoy a fire. But if it's gonna be noisy, non-stop talking, music, kids etc, I'll head inside. Not judging, just not interested. Also, often people see a lone female camper and seem to feel bad, not realize that alone doesn't always mean lonely
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:04 AM   #30

the DW and i only camp at parks that have a lake and 80% of the time we are kayaking, so we don't spend much time at the camp site unless its raining or just to hot, then we will be exploring junk shops if any are around.
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #31
I Break Everything

I'm not sure I've noticed it before. We go to a quite a few "city" based parks where I guess that happens quite a bit. We live in a small town where everyone knows what you've done before you finish. I like an escape to get away from that from time to time. I suppose we're not the traditional "campers." It's more like a hotel room for us. We go out to museums, art exhibits, concerts, historical sites, etc. When we get back, I'm pooped. Inside and A/C are the way to go. Maybe a quick trip to a pool if the park has one, a shower then Netflix or the news.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblee21 View Post
I have noticed that just about every time we go camping there is always one camper that the people never come outside. They may come out for a minute but they go right back in. Does anyone else find that strange or see this on a regular basis. I know it is a free country and you can camp how you want to but I just find it odd.

Maybe pondering the reasons their behavior seems to bother you might be more fruitful than trying to analyze the behavior of others.

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #33

Great thread... it's very interesting to learn what camping means to different people.

We tend to spend most of our time outside. We cook and eat outside if the weather is decent and we like relaxing on the campsite (most of our trips are in provincial or state parks). We also like swimming, kayaking, hiking, biking and walking, and some days we might be off to see the sights the area has to offer.

That said, it's nice to have a trailer with a little space where the three of us can watch TV, eat a meal, play a game or just hang out, doing our own thing. Being able to get away from the weather and the bugs is super.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:50 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
DW is getting to be more of an innie than an outie. I'm about half and half. But as the temps pick up and I kick on the ac (roughing it!) I will be inside watching a movie until time to cook dinner then it's back out to BBQ!
The first time, I read that as "DW is becoming an outie as the temps pick up." I was imagining a sweaty, pregnant lady with a protruding belly button. Hah.
ttocsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGKirkham View Post
Maybe pondering the reasons their behavior seems to bother you might be more fruitful than trying to analyze the behavior of others.

I never said it bothered me. I just thought it was odd and wanted others thoughts on the subject. I have enjoyed reading all the comments and learning about all the different types of camping personalities. I guess one thing I have learned is not everyone at a campground is there to camp. Thanks for all the replies.
mblee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #36

We tend to sit outside a lot but can get driven in by bugs. The DW is a magnet.

Marty
Old 07-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #37

I guess I am a spoiled brat. I want it to be warm enough in daylight hours to swim and fish(no too hot) and cold enough to build a warming fire and sleep with the windows open at night.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #38

I grew up with a mixed family. My father was almost never in the camper unless he was sleeping. My mother just enjoyed putsing around inside. We had to almost drag her out to join us for an outdoor activity. Each was enjoyable to each. Personally, I take after my father...in case anyone is keeping score!
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #39

I will give one perspective.

I still work, so if I am not on actual vacation, I will be inside on the computer and phone the entire day. I (or my wife) will go out and walk the dogs, but then I have to get back to work.
We don't cook out most nights, so will then go out to eat after work, and come home, get showers, watch a little TV and repeat.

If I am on vacation, it is usually with family/friends and we are usually out sight seeing, or will get to go fishing, etc then.

We do however also sit outside, and I enjoy meeting others, but the above is just a reason for me to be locked in all day.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #40

Location: West, Texas (the town, not the western part of the state)
I'm pretty much "that girl" in the hot months of summer here in Central Texas. I don't mind taking the trailer and going, but I pick the spots where I have a view of the lake out the window while I read, work on the laptop or things I don't take the time to do at home. Plus, I still work full time as a programmer so as long as I have an internet connection I can be at the lake AND work.

When the heat index is well over 100 degrees and I'm a magnet for everything that bites and those bites turn bad no matter how I treat them I have no desire to be outside. The only time it's actually cool is when the monsters are the worst!

So, YES I am a woosie! Out in the heat my face turns so red that people are constantly trying to treat me for heat stroke, I'm a buffet for all the itchy biting critters in a 10 mile radius and I sweat like a construction worker.

BUT I love being in the trailer at the lake and riding around at dusk and dawn to see the wildlife. I like watching the families fishing, kids playing and all the birds that stop by. Don't feel sorry for me, I'm enjoying myself just doing nuttin'.

Tags
camper