Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #41

So when we were younger we enjoyed tent "camping" but now some 20+ years later and countless health issues we find that just getting away and enjoying our home away from home (less the yard work, laundry, to do lists staring us in the face) allows us to actually relax. And a lot of that is the comfort the TT offers and the peace that the location (campground have you) offers.

2014 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4x4, Timbrens
2015 Zinger 28BH
GypseeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Not everyone is an extrovert. Introverts are the people who like to be alone more than they like to be in large groups of people. Introverts restore energy by spending quality time with themselves or small groups and consider to spend time in large groups of people draining and sometimes even frustrating. Introverts find outside stimulation to be unpleasant.

Don't judge introverts as weird and don't assume we are anti-social. Introverts are very selective who they socialize with and don't need as much social time as extroverts.
I agree with Skyliner! I like people, I just need a break from them sometimes.
mtnbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #43

Trailer Clingers

We're in our 80's. Been camping since our 30's. Enjoy being out in nature or at the beach, but are enjoying the "comforts of home" more than the discomforts of the outdoors. Yes, we get outside, but not nearly as much as in our earlier lives. If you camp long enough, you'll probably come to understand.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #44

We have a toy hauler and carry our two BMW motorcycles. Many days we are up early and out Touring. Since our truck remains at the site, other campers probably think we are inside the trailer. Never thought of it until now!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #45
larryandamy

We now have a Ford F350 dually with a slide in camper. We love this for mobility and being able to park/camp anywhere, but there is not much room in the camper. But even when we had the 32' motorhome or the 27' toy hauler with nice living areas we spent little time inside our rig during the day.
We love to be outside enjoying where we are. We never even have a television in any of our rigs. I understand that we are not the typical camper. If we had one of those humongous diesel pushers with 5 star luxury, I might spend more time inside, but at this point this is not for us. I am 61 and my wife is 60 and we are still pretty active. But maybe in 10 or 20 years people will ask the same question about us.
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #46

We are camping in south Florida. My brother is a few sites down and across the road and my brother in law is about eight sites down. We have been out with them at their sites, so our truck is here, which makes it look like we are in all the time. Right now we are in for reading and afternoon naps because it's hot and humid! We'll go to the beach in a while, then to my brother's for dinner. If I were in Ontario or somewhere in the north east or west where it is cool, I'd be out more. It's a matter of survival!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #47

Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikersarge View Post
You Never know why, maybe the guy is lucky or his spouse wants several days of quality bedroom time. When we go on long trips I always want a couple days to just sit around and cook, drink some good whiskey and keep to myself or drink with a neighbor.
That makes two of us! I have breathin problems. Heat, humidity, air polution, smoke all make it hard to be outside. 😎
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #48

Please tell me this is not a real discussion ! WHY would anyone care who is in or out! If this is WHY you camp, you need a HOBBY other than people watching which is more popular in San Francisco; NYNY; Boston or Miami [emoji102]. It reminds me of the 57 years of motorcycling. Always waiving[emoji631].
Makes no sense to be screaming around a curve and putting yourself in serious danger by taking one 🤚and WAVING.....
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #49
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
That! I tend to travel mostly for dog events. Long hours of people and stimuli kicks the snot out of me. If I can come back to a quiet, uncrowded, peaceful campground, I'll stay out and enjoy a fire. But if it's gonna be noisy, non-stop talking, music, kids etc, I'll head inside. Not judging, just not interested. Also, often people see a lone female camper and seem to feel bad, not realize that alone doesn't always mean lonely
X2, except that single male. Me and my little guy Jasper.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #50

When we bought our trailer 4 years ago DH insisted it be small so we would not spend all our time inside (guess that was the ex's favorite activity). We travel with 2 dogs so tie them out, pull up a chair outside under the awning & read a good book (something I rarely get to do).

We also have a bad (?) habit of traveling with a large coffee pot & all the fixings for Irish coffee... bring your mug by & pull up a chair... we love the stories. Have met some really interesting people sitting on site.

That said, we camp usually every month for a couple days to go do things. Fish, kayak, bicycle, visit breweries, music festivals, tour historical sites ... trying to get all of Florida done before we retire so then we can travel every where else.

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #51

Not odd at all. It's just a matter of perspective. Lots of good points have already been given .

Perhaps the gent has PTSD or something similar and needs to get out of the house but is not in a place good enough to allow himself to be "exposed" for any period of time. In these types of situations, the camper is a godsend: you get out of the prison that your house has become and get some freedom back to move around yet still have a "safe place" to pull back to while trying to get back out into society and the world. You get to expose yourself to the world exactly as much (or as little) as you can stomache.don't me how I might know that sort of thing....

Best just to give people who want thier privacy exactly that: privacy.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #52

Campers Who Never Leave The Camper

I never gave it much thought until I saw this thread. Most of the time we are out walking, enjoying the campground, meeting new people. However, we did hole up in our camper here in June. The weather was cool for Ohio, rainy, and we both had been under a lot of stress. Loaded up our trailer, went to our favorite nearby campground and just enjoyed each other. We had both been through a trying death of a loved one, and were sick of family. We slept in, probably drank too much (or maybe not enough) caught up on serious couch and recliner time and just enjoyed not thinking about anything for an entire week and just relaxing. So we maybe one those people you saw. Generally speaking, we don't hibernate we are always up for corn hole, euchre, drinking etc. I guess we shouldn't judge. We don't always know what other people are going thru. If the people who are holed up ever venture out even for a moment, I smile and wave. It costs nothing to be kind. Everybody we wish you safe travels and happy trails.
2018 297 RSK Primetime Crusader
The Mustard Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
When I owned a popup camper, I used to think those people were weird. Our camper was for sleeping and that was about it.

Now that we have our travel trailer, I kinda get it. I mean, I don't have a ton of space like a huge 5th wheel, but its enough that the wife and I can watch a movie in the back while the kids sleep in their bunks in the front without it being a huge problem.
I feel the same way. For years when we were tent campers we found it odd that people would drive long distances to go to nice wooded campgrounds only to stay indoors. We also didn't consider those with the large 5-ers and class C's to be truly camping. After two summers of having a TT, we find ourselves on the outside of that viewpoint, looking in.

It's all a matter of perspective and what you're used to.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #54
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
If the trailer's a rockin'.......
You are in an earthquake zone or the wind is blowing like the dickens.

We had a nice week at the CG until the breeze died down so the skeeters could find us. Then we'd go inside to watch movies. We're always inside by 10 pm to watch the local news/weather, then DW is off to bed so she can get up for work. Just got back to the house yesterday. Going back next weekend for 8 days.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:01 PM   #55

Naw, not at all as I camp with my dogs and go out with them and just enjoy being in my RV. Now you know the ol sayin. If it's ROCKIN-DONT COME KNOCKIN---Respect their privacy...I do
PeJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:08 PM   #56

Other than our winter migration......

Most of our "camping" is at music festivals. We get up late -- often noon -- and head for the pickin' grounds, pick the rest of the day, usually past midnight, then back to the TT to crash.

Neighbors never see us, other than leaving or returning.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:36 PM   #57

Vampires. Watch em.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2015 Sunseeker 3010ds
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:56 PM   #58

I am a teacher. I like to camp so I can just get away. I have no problems hanging out in my TT and painting or chilling. I am an introvert and need to get away.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:29 AM   #59

Look at those crazy people. Spend all that money on a fancy camper and never use it. They set up and leave for hours. All they do is sleep in the thing. They could have saved a fortune on a tent or cheaper pop-up.
JCDMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:33 AM   #60
Occasional campers

As some have said, there are those of us who are introverts and may not be comfortable interacting all the time. And there can be issues such as allergies. We have been at one campground where the campfire smoke was so thick we had to retreat inside--couldn't even sleep with windows open, which we would've liked to have done.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Ray and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper