Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2021, 08:55 PM   #21

I totally understand. I love camping but there's something about not being able to have a fire. This year, in western Washington, we were lucky for most of the summer but our Labor day was no fires. I was so disappointed because one of my children, one of the grandchildren and her daughter--one of my great-grandchildren joined me. It was the baby's first real camping trip and we were going to have smores. I did them in the microwave but it wasn't the same. Well, it added to the whole 2020 experience. Thanks for posting.
Letarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:59 PM   #22

Sounds great. A fire is a great relaxation. I'm sorry that you are widowed. I'm still married but my husband has decided he's too old to do a lot of things so I do most things by myself. Camping is my way to get away and also relax. Thanks for the comments.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:03 PM   #23

I hate it when I arrive and see a fire still smoldering or I walk my dog at night and see a fire smoldering but no people and lights are off. Scares me so much. When I was a kid, we drove through a forest fire. I can't imagine why people don't put their fires out.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #24

I camp with just my dogs. A campfire to cook dinner on and a couple of drinks after a long day of hiking is heaven!!!

!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letarae View Post
This doesn't really have anything to do with our trailers but I was wondering. For those that camp alone, do you build a fire at night? I sometimes camp alone and will sometimes build a small fire.

I thought I'd do a small survey. Thanks for your input.

Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:50 PM   #25

Yes. But technically I am never alone. My black lab is with me everywhere. But when it’s just us and no wife we most definitely sit around a fire and drink a couple beers.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:56 AM   #26
Camping the Natural State

Not always !

A campfire will put me out especially with nice beverages. So sometimes when alone i will make a small campfire. Now I will always build a cook fire for pork or beef steaks alone or otherwise. I would rather cook over whiteoak coals than charcoal.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:23 AM   #27

I believe sitting by a fire is genetically encoded. It may be cheating but I sometimes use Trioxane to get the fire going. A great little item to keep in your go bag.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #28

Amazing that some topics like fires lead directly to alcohol. I used to drink a lot, now I don't.

Famous modern song lyrics:

"I drink because I have no friends.
I have no friends because I drink."
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #29
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
I believe sitting by a fire is genetically encoded. It may be cheating but I sometimes use Trioxane to get the fire going. A great little item to keep in your go bag.
Here in Alaska, a campfire is called "survival T.V.", although during the past two camping seasons here we have been inundated with wildfires, and campfires are prohibited. Interestingly enough, 95% of our wildfires are caused by lightning strikes, not people. As far as "cheating" goes, we have been known to use road flares to ignite wet driftwood while camping down on the Kenai, conditions permitting of course.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #30
Citrus County, Fl.

Having a campfire is a great way to get people to stop by your site and say hello, especially if you have a dog. It kind of says Welcome.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:20 AM   #31
Trailer Park Supervisor

I generally don't camp alone, but either way, I don't do campfires anymore since I got a propane fire bowl. It is so convenient, yet still puts out the heat, ambience, and yes, I can still toast marshmallows. Only thing missing is stink of smoke and holes in my awning. I burn wood all winter in my woodstove back home, so it's nice to have a break from hauling firewood.

Because of all the infestations of bugs from China, most places won't let you bring outside wood in anyway. Not paying 10 bucks for 5 splits of wood at a campground.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
I now cheat to keep a roaring fire by using a small battery powered fan to keep it stoked. Works great.
My wife calls it The Dragon's Breath!
Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:08 PM   #33

In the 8 years had my camper ... a Toy Hauler, have never once built a campfire as no reason. The camper has an indoor double counter top burner, a convection microwave and an outdoor propane grill.

No logical reason to build a campfire.

Dakota 1120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:38 PM   #34
Pop-up refugee

I don't need to go camping to use a microwave, a convection oven or a crock pot.

And that, really, is what makes camping so great. There are so many right ways to do it.
Relaxin in the woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:14 PM   #35

Heck ya! I am building a good fire alone or with someone.
camperwes413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:16 PM   #36

[QUOTE=Dakota 1120;2488972]In the 8 years had my camper ... a Toy Hauler, have never once built a campfire as no reason. The camper has an indoor double counter top burner, a convection microwave and an outdoor propane grill.

No logical reason to build a campfire.

[/QUOT

You can have it your way. But a campfire is an awesome part of camping. Get out and sit OUTSIDE.
camperwes413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:00 AM   #37
Camping the Natural State

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Amazing that some topics like fires lead directly to alcohol. I used to drink a lot, now I don't.

Famous modern song lyrics:

"I drink because I have no friends.
I have no friends because I drink."
Nothing wrong with relaxing with a drink or 3, alone or with friends. Not everyone who drinks alcohol have an issue with it.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:27 AM   #38
Insert witty title here

Not a fan of campfires. They are a PITA. Lighting them, keeping them going, making my clothes reek of smoke, and forcing me to stay outside until it goes out.

I carry small tiki torches filled with citronella oil and use those instead. They're easy to light, put off a nice glow, keep the bugs away, don't stink and can be instantly extinguished when I'm ready to go inside.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #39
Going Solo

Absolutely. Me and my dog!! A little brandy to go along with that warm firm. :>}
tjwdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:35 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxin in the woods View Post
I don't need to go camping to use a microwave, a convection oven or a crock pot.

And that, really, is what makes camping so great. There are so many right ways to do it.
IF I ever want a campfire, I can start one in my backyard...which I also do not do.
Dakota 1120 is online now   Reply With Quote