Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2021, 09:10 PM   #61
Pop-up refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
It’s not about “playing” in the fire, there is a constant mental, strategic activity in maintaining the fire, like spotting air flow problems, rearranging logs for the correct air gap to improve combustion, making sure no orphan logs lie outside the main heat circle, etc. The fire takes on a life, too, from infancy, on to the most productive hours, them to old age and death. Well maintained fires made with good firewood don’t smoke (much). A propane fire might offer warmth, but for me it would be no more interesting than watching a fire on a television.
I call it "playing". It's important. And every fire is different.
Relaxin in the woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I understand your wife’s refusal to use a propane fire pit.

I derive pleasure from the wood fire experience. It’s not about “playing” in the fire, there is a constant mental, strategic activity in maintaining the fire, like spotting air flow problems, rearranging logs for the correct air gap to improve combustion, making sure no orphan logs lie outside the main heat circle, etc. The fire takes on a life, too, from infancy, on to the most productive hours, them to old age and death. Well maintained fires made with good firewood don’t smoke (much). A propane fire might offer warmth, but for me it would be no more interesting than watching a fire on a television.
Well there goes another thing 'up in smoke' to to speak.

Turning what could be an enjoyable experience of a wood campfire into a complex, complicated, no longer enjoyable science experience.
Let me explain:
I USED TO LOVE seeing a rainbow in the sky ... so beautiful with themultiple color array blending thru and sometimes a rainbow within a rainbow but all that was ruined when took a physics class.
All the 'scientific' junk about the rainbow creation has to do with light refraction and reflection, earth curvature, etc. totally ruined the shear pleasure of enjoying a rainbow for what it was. When I see one now - all that comes to mind is the physics classroom professor defining the science of how and why a rainbow is a rainbow.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:00 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
Well there goes another thing 'up in smoke' to to speak.

Turning what could be an enjoyable experience of a wood campfire into a complex, complicated, no longer enjoyable science experience.
Let me explain:
I USED TO LOVE seeing a rainbow in the sky ... so beautiful with themultiple color array blending thru and sometimes a rainbow within a rainbow but all that was ruined when took a physics class.
All the 'scientific' junk about the rainbow creation has to do with light refraction and reflection, earth curvature, etc. totally ruined the shear pleasure of enjoying a rainbow for what it was. When I see one now - all that comes to mind is the physics classroom professor defining the science of how and why a rainbow is a rainbow.

Another good example of how our minds are all wired differently!

For me, I like watching the fire, but my mind is always going to, "if I move this log a bit this way and that log a bit further over here, I can make this fire breathe better and thus, get a better fire!" I still enjoy the fire as much as anyone, I just enjoy the challenge of making it better. Of course, when I feel it's right, I will absolutely sit back and enjoy it for a while... until it's not optimal anymore and then I will make more adjustments. This is very satisfying for me.

Rainbows are no different. I always enjoyed them but to me it wasn't magic. There was a logical reason for why they existed and I wanted answers. Now that I know how it works, it doesn't make it any less spectacular... I just know the mechanism behind it and can enjoy it without wondering so much!

Maybe knowing the physics behind things doesn't take the wonder out of the event so much... it just creates wonder in the physics because that's amazing in and of itself!

Or maybe that's just me!
Old 02-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #64

For sure --- we all see things differently and I see that as a good thing.

What an odd and boring world it would be if everyone liked exactly the same things in the same way!

:-)
Old 02-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #65

Funny
Letarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:22 PM   #66

Funny. I have some teenage grandkids who I'm hoping come back from their phones when they grow up. I "miss" them.

Great fire thoughts. I'm going camping next week by myself, well and my dog. Doing a fire as long as it doesn't rain. Living in western Washington is always a chance of rain and blue tarp camping.

Taking some mudslide for my coffee in the evening for the fire.

Old 02-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #67

Taking some mudslide for my coffee in the evening for the fire.

??? mudslide ???
Old 02-02-2021, 05:29 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
For sure --- we all see things differently and I see that as a good thing.

What an odd and boring world it would be if everyone liked exactly the same things in the same way!

:-)

Completely agree!
I can barely put up with one of me as it is!
Old 02-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #69

Mudslide is Kahlua, heavy cream, vodka, irish cream and ice. I bought a container already done. It is great in my coffee or hot chocolate and easier when camping.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:00 PM   #70

If we didn't have a campfire at our family property, how would the kids and grandkids make smor's and pudgy pies. Gas flames are not allowed to make those two snacks.

When camping at our place, I love the fact that you have to go about 300 feet up a hill to get cell reception.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #71

Nice. Too bad that isn't true around the fire camping. However, when we have a fire at our house, cell phones stay in the living room. Sadly, I even make the teenagers talk.

;-)

I have to find out what a pudgy pies is.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:48 AM   #72
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Sounds like something my waistline does not need. Funny how some of your wives like messing with the fire. After heating our house with firewood for months on end, my wife doesn't even want to LOOK at a piece of wood.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 02:44 AM   #73

I do it all the time. There is something about the fireplace that makes me feel safe so the more I should do this when alone!
vivafreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:19 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letarae View Post
Nice. Too bad that isn't true around the fire camping. However, when we have a fire at our house, cell phones stay in the living room. Sadly, I even make the teenagers talk.

;-)

I believe that is a regional name for pies that are cooked in cast iron pie irons over the fire. I love ours. You can actually cook. Meal in it and then make dessert. Just be sure to grease it good and don’t get burned.
Accountingphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:27 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letarae View Post
Mudslide is Kahlua, heavy cream, vodka, irish cream and ice. I bought a container already done. It is great in my coffee or hot chocolate and easier when camping.
Hmm... we'll have to evaluate that. The accuracy of our analysis will be aided by a large number of samples. Or, it being alcohol, the opposite could be true.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:13 PM   #76

This fall for the first time in my life there were fire restrictions. Even in October with night time temperatures below freezing, fires were not allowed on National Forest lands in California. As a forester this is disturbing on many levels.

I hope people that enjoy the outdoors can understand the importance of responsible logging and thinning in maintaining the health of forests and improving fire resilience. Neglect is how we got in the terrible shape we are in. We can log out way out of it.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:12 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
This fall for the first time in my life there were fire restrictions. Even in October with night time temperatures below freezing, fires were not allowed on National Forest lands in California. As a forester this is disturbing on many levels.

I hope people that enjoy the outdoors can understand the importance of responsible logging and thinning in maintaining the health of forests and improving fire resilience. Neglect is how we got in the terrible shape we are in. We can log out way out of it.
I certainly agree with your comment on responsible logging. As someone who grew up in some of the most beautiful hardwood forests in Western Pennsylvania, I can vouch for the greed side of logging. It sure gives the responsible side of the industry a bad name.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Hmm... we'll have to evaluate that. The accuracy of our analysis will be aided by a large number of samples. Or, it being alcohol, the opposite could be true.
Yes, I do think a proper evaluation requires multiple taste test events

Mudslides here come in a 4pk, each bottle being a 6oz (ish) single serving cocktail. But I could see how adding to coffee or cocoa would "level up" that beverage!

I use Rumchata as a coffee/cocoa creamer and it's definitely a game-changer.

Cheers....
2006 Dodge RAM 2500 TRX4 Cummins
2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 35K
just4u_cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:35 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4u_cara View Post
Yes, I do think a proper evaluation requires multiple taste test events

Mudslides here come in a 4pk, each bottle being a 6oz (ish) single serving cocktail. But I could see how adding to coffee or cocoa would "level up" that beverage!

I use Rumchata as a coffee/cocoa creamer and it's definitely a game-changer.

Cheers....
Love the Rum Chata for morning coffee! Helps to keep us warm on those cold mornings! We also like the peppermint one. Lemon, not so much
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:52 PM   #80

I / we always have a campfire, mainly because I love to use my Wimpy's grill to cook over an open fire. Many times I'll start with charcoal under the wood. Adds longer cook time when the wood coals are just right. Also easier to bring back a nice fire when the cooking's done. Keeps the bugs at bay, but seems there is always the pictured down side.Click image for larger version

Name:	6722.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	247560
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote