Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2021, 10:37 AM   #41

[QUOTE=camperwes413;2489147]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
In the 8 years had my camper ... a Toy Hauler, have never once built a campfire as no reason. The camper has an indoor double counter top burner, a convection microwave and an outdoor propane grill.

No logical reason to build a campfire.

[/QUOT

You can have it your way. But a campfire is an awesome part of camping. Get out and sit OUTSIDE.
Just do many other things outside but campfires are not my thing - if you like it - go for it.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:47 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Having a campfire is a great way to get people to stop by your site and say hello, especially if you have a dog. It kind of says Welcome.

I always find it interesting how different we all are. Some camp to be social while others (like my wife and I) camp to get the heck away from everyone and everything!
We want to be as far away from people as we can get. We don't watch TV and leave the electronics off for the most part.

Oh, and the campfire is a huge part of the experience for us. I would build one whether with her or alone. It's one of the reasons I camp!
Old 01-29-2021, 11:58 AM   #43
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Not a fan of campfires. They are a PITA. Lighting them, keeping them going, making my clothes reek of smoke, and forcing me to stay outside until it goes out.

I carry small tiki torches filled with citronella oil and use those instead. They're easy to light, put off a nice glow, keep the bugs away, don't stink and can be instantly extinguished when I'm ready to go inside.
Everyone has something.
You don't like the smell of smoke.

My 1st wife had asthmatic reactions to citronella.
We were camped next to a family once with about 10 tiki torches filled with citronella burning all around their campsite and wound up taking her to the hospital. Later asthma tests showed she was highly reactive to citronella.

Ironically, campfire smoke didn't bother her, go figure!

What one person doesn't smell another does and each reacts differently.
You never know...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:07 PM   #44
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letarae View Post
This doesn't really have anything to do with our trailers but I was wondering. For those that camp alone, do you build a fire at night? I sometimes camp alone and will sometimes build a small fire.

I thought I'd do a small survey. Thanks for your input.

YEP!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #45

My wife is the official 'fire tender'. I start it, she tends it with her custom made fire poker made from rebar and horseshoes. We have a fire pit made from an old washer tub. My family has large pecan orchards so we always have good hardwood to burn.
We consider ourselves to be alone when it is just her and I, and we do have a fire every night when permissable.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letarae View Post
This doesn't really have anything to do with our trailers but I was wondering. For those that camp alone, do you build a fire at night? I sometimes camp alone and will sometimes build a small fire.

I thought I'd do a small survey. Thanks for your input.

Interesting posts. Thanks for the question.
I agree with one of the other comments. There is something primal about
watching a campfire. I think it's part of our dna.
SKND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:37 PM   #47
Pop-up refugee

Fire goooood.

Relaxin in the woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:43 AM   #48
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxin in the woods View Post
Fire goooood.

Hah! That was great!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:44 AM   #49
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
My wife is the official 'fire tender'. I start it, she tends it with her custom made fire poker made from rebar and horseshoes. We have a fire pit made from an old washer tub. My family has large pecan orchards so we always have good hardwood to burn.
We consider ourselves to be alone when it is just her and I, and we do have a fire every night when permissable.
Man, that pecan wood must smell so good!!! One of my favorite meat smoking woods.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:17 AM   #50
Pop-up refugee

One late afternoon some years ago we were in a state park in NY that got a lot of first time campers from the city. My 4 year old daughter was playing with a 4 year old from one of those families, and when she saw the parents were having a problem with their fire she cheerfully built one and lit it for them. We only heard about it when she came running back to our site to get the lighter and fluid.

Now she's a teenager who gazes into her iPhone, but she'll be back when she grows up.
Relaxin in the woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:32 PM   #51

Every time I go camping, I have a fire. Doesn’t matter if I’m with a group, or by myself. A fire and a cocktail are the perfect end to the day.
Old School Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:03 PM   #52

camped several times by myself when the DW had to work.
Every time I built a fire in the evening, it would seem that the neighbors would come over and join me to fellowship. Be a friend and it is easy to make friends.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:26 PM   #53

I have a fire whenever possible. Alone or not. We got a propane fire pit that is perfect for long trips. For shorter, local trips I always take wood. Jay
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:23 PM   #54

Usually not when I'm camping alone. I'm usually too tired in the evening from the day's activities when by myself. But we always have a campfire - conditions permitting - when DW is with me. She loves to poke the fire, and keeping her happy is important.

In Colorado, we average not being able to have a fire about 50% of the time. So I bought her a propane fire pit. She refused to use it because there was no playing with the fire to do. So I just make sure we have firewood and starter available, and am up to date on the day's fire regulations.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:37 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Usually not when I'm camping alone. I'm usually too tired in the evening from the day's activities when by myself. But we always have a campfire - conditions permitting - when DW is with me. She loves to poke the fire, and keeping her happy is important.

In Colorado, we average not being able to have a fire about 50% of the time. So I bought her a propane fire pit. She refused to use it because there was no playing with the fire to do. So I just make sure we have firewood and starter available, and am up to date on the day's fire regulations.

Fred W
I understand your wife’s refusal to use a propane fire pit.

I derive pleasure from the wood fire experience. It’s not about “playing” in the fire, there is a constant mental, strategic activity in maintaining the fire, like spotting air flow problems, rearranging logs for the correct air gap to improve combustion, making sure no orphan logs lie outside the main heat circle, etc. The fire takes on a life, too, from infancy, on to the most productive hours, them to old age and death. Well maintained fires made with good firewood don’t smoke (much). A propane fire might offer warmth, but for me it would be no more interesting than watching a fire on a television.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:49 PM   #56
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I understand your wife’s refusal to use a propane fire pit.

I derive pleasure from the wood fire experience. It’s not about “playing” in the fire, there is a constant mental, strategic activity in maintaining the fire, like spotting air flow problems, rearranging logs for the correct air gap to improve combustion, making sure no orphan logs lie outside the main heat circle, etc. The fire takes on a life, too, from infancy, on to the most productive hours, them to old age and death. Well maintained fires made with good firewood don’t smoke (much). A propane fire might offer warmth, but for me it would be no more interesting than watching a fire on a television.
This is another topic that everyone has 'their' thing.

In 50+ years of camping, we ALWAYS have/had fires.
As the firewood became more regulated and my back got older, we decided to purchase a LP firepit a couple years ago and give it a whirl. (see my earlier post in this thread for a photo)

I was somewhat skeptical at first as I was always the fire starter/tender but I must admit, once the lava rock gets glowing red and the flames get to 'licking' each other as they swirl around the bowl, it is just as mesmerizing as the wood fire and there is zero effort. More time for this...

WAY better than watching on tv!

As an example... we had a BIG day yesterday away from the R/V and got back just aafter dusk. We were tired but wanted a nightcap and a little relaxation/unwinding before turning in for the evening. I turned on the LP, clicked the igniter and Wala!
Had a drink in my hand in 3 minutes, watched the fire for about an hour and we were both mesmerized into la-la land. I turned off the knob and went to bed. No fuss-no muss and goodnight!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #57

Oh yeah....I always have to have a fire whenever possible.
Jaymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #58

Yes, absolutely. Along with a Captain Morgan's Special on ice. Look....I didn't split, stack, season and haul that wood for nothing!

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Man, that pecan wood must smell so good!!! One of my favorite meat smoking woods.
What I find funny is using actual pecan wood, there isn't a distinct odor like there is with wood chips and pellets used for smokers. Go figure! Maybe our trees here in NM are just boring
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:50 PM   #60
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
This is another topic that everyone has 'their' thing.

In 50+ years of camping, we ALWAYS have/had fires.
As the firewood became more regulated and my back got older, we decided to purchase a LP firepit a couple years ago and give it a whirl. (see my earlier post in this thread for a photo)

I was somewhat skeptical at first as I was always the fire starter/tender but I must admit, once the lava rock gets glowing red and the flames get to 'licking' each other as they swirl around the bowl, it is just as mesmerizing as the wood fire and there is zero effort. More time for this...

WAY better than watching on tv!
X 2 just got love it. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote