Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #1

Campground Fire Evacuation Plan

My wife and I always see how fast and efficiently we can set up/break down our RV when we are out. She does the inside and I do the outside. And we change rolls at times so we review what the other does. I have wanted to be able to break down fast if someone let their campfire get out of control, and we had little time to leave. And what items we would leave behind. Worst scenario would be if we were asleep and someone came pounding on the door yelling fire! Also review other exits out of the campground if available, which may not be available if the fire has gotten large between you and the only exit. Has anyone ever been faced with this for real?
nvallerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:31 PM   #2

Hop in the truck and let insurance buy me a new camper
Old 12-02-2020, 05:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvallerga View Post
My wife and I always see how fast and efficiently we can set up/break down our RV when we are out. She does the inside and I do the outside. And we change rolls at times so we review what the other does. I have wanted to be able to break down fast if someone let their campfire get out of control, and we had little time to leave. And what items we would leave behind. Worst scenario would be if we were asleep and someone came pounding on the door yelling fire! Also review other exits out of the campground if available, which may not be available if the fire has gotten large between you and the only exit. Has anyone ever been faced with this for real?
Think some campers did experience this in California few months back. In true emergency, just have your go bag ready & go! Nothing including trailer is worth delaying your exit. Def good idea to know your alternate exits from campground though!!
Gottaluvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Hop in the truck and let insurance buy me a new camper
I think he's got a Sunseeker Motor Home. So unless he's towing and unhooked, that might not be an option.
nvallerga, you sound like you have a good plan. If your only mode of transportation is the MH and if someone come knocking on your door, I'd have both of you unhooking and taking in slides. If you're truly worried about fire conditions, I'd keep the 'stuff' that needs to be put up on the inside to a minimum.
Luckily, we've never had to worry about that. Around here in SE Texas, we have to worry about rising water. A COE park that we camp at went from the floating dock resting on the bottom to overflow conditions in a matter of hours. We'd camped there the week before.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:10 PM   #5

Our tornado drill involves tossing the phones, tablet, laptop, chargers, and "office folder" with the checkbook etc., into a bag, jumping in the truck, and heading for the hard shelter.

The rig itself fends for itself. As has been said, insurance is there for a reason.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Our tornado drill involves tossing the phones, tablet, laptop, chargers, and "office folder" with the checkbook etc., into a bag, jumping in the truck, and heading for the hard shelter.
People still use check books? sorry couldn't resist

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
DRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRogers View Post

Yeah, my wife handles all the bill paying, and evidently there are some accounts she still does by check. So when we are on the road for months, it travels with us.

Rich
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Our bank just started issuing debit cards not too long ago. Only use check book......

They may go on line soon though.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Yeah, my wife handles all the bill paying, and evidently there are some accounts she still does by check. So when we are on the road for months, it travels with us.
Rich
I remember my time living in the USA, I was so surprised that anyone even still accepted checks. But in the USA it's still highly accepted. In my home country of Canada and now here in Australia, very few if anywhere will even still accept a check, everything is done via online payments or interact.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
DRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvallerga View Post
Back to the original topic.......

If you truly needed to leave fast just hook up to the TV. and leave all hoses and chairs................ if taking the camper was an option.

But where we go just staying put is safest. Trying to get out the gate with your 10,000 closest friends would be a slow process. On a Saturday morning in the summer it can take an hour to get out the gate as it is.

They claim as many as 40,000 people are in the campground on the 4th of July week.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-03-2020, 08:02 PM   #11

We haven't really considered how to quickly leave a campground, but we have spent time planning how to use our Class C as part of a home evacuation plan. We are down to who drives the pickup while the other drives the RV. We are considering getting a bigger cargo trailer so we can load the Harleys, but like everyone says, that is what insurance is for

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:11 PM   #12
waybeck2018

Quote:

Had my microwave in for repair. Had a call today it is ready to pick up. (Repair was $150.00 less than cheapest new one I could find) But, the guy reminded me to bring cash or a check book. No credit cards accepted. And, some places have no business with my credit/debit card number !!

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Back to the original topic.......

If you truly needed to leave fast just hook up to the TV. and leave all hoses and chairs................ if taking the camper was an option.

But where we go just staying put is safest. Trying to get out the gate with your 10,000 closest friends would be a slow process. On a Saturday morning in the summer it can take an hour to get out the gate as it is.

They claim as many as 40,000 people are in the campground on the 4th of July week.

So what's the location of this campground that can hold 10,000-40,000 people?
Old 12-04-2020, 07:19 AM   #14
MCTroy

We have evacuated quickly because of raising flood waters. Woke up one morning to let the dog out and heard her go step, step splash! Water was already up to the trailer. We just unhooked and moved. Whatever was sitting out in the TT was on it's own. Amazing only I glass broke in the short trip to higher ground.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
So what's the location of this campground that can hold 10,000-40,000 people?
Myrtle Beach, Ocean Lakes Family Campground, just under 3500 total sites, 850 of that for transient campers. 300 acres. It is one of the largest privately owned campgrounds east of the Mississippi River . They have 300-500 employees in season.

Do keep a close eye on hurricanes since they are ocean front.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-04-2020, 08:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Myrtle Beach, Ocean Lakes Family Campground, just under 3500 total sites, 850 of that for transient campers. 300 acres. It is one of the largest privately owned campgrounds east of the Mississippi River . They have 300-500 employees in season.

Way too big. Sounds like an RV resort located in a trailer park. But, I’ll never be affected. I spent three days in Myrtle Beach in 1961. I swore I’d never go back. Never have. Never will.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:14 AM   #17

Quote:

That's INSANE!!!

40,000 people would be an average of nearly 12 people per site!!

Looking at pictures it's really about 2500 small houses and 1000 RV sites, must be quite a scene.

I mean, if you enjoy it then I won't judge, i'm sure you have your reasons, but that sounds like a nightmare to me, especially the hour long line just to get out.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
That's INSANE!!!

40,000 people would be an average of nearly 12 people per site!!

Looking at pictures it's really about 2500 small houses and 1000 RV sites, must be quite a scene.

I mean, if you enjoy it then I won't judge, i'm sure you have your reasons, but that sounds like a nightmare to me, especially the hour long line just to get out.
The campground has seasons. Summer is too busy for us too. The fall, spring and winter are not as bad. I know that it sounds crazy but we go there to get away. The ocean waves are soothing.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 12-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #19

I like to plan ahead and continuously monitor the conditions. If boondocking in fire prone areas I like to know what's happening around me. If a fire starts in the general area and there MIGHT be any threat to where I'm camping I just move on. I'd rather be first in line to the "exit" than last.

Had this happen to me this last Summer and got a visit from the Forest Service who was warning campers of a fire 5 miles away.

I just packed and moved out. The road out was single lane, rough, and narrow.
Left in daylight and was pitch black by the time I made it to the main highway 15 miles away. Could only imagine how it would have been if I'd waited for the other 40-50 campers to leave too.

Aside from Boondocking, I avoid like the plague any RV Park with narrow spaces. Ones where when you extend your slide it is out to your neighbors awning. Easy to see how quick a fire in one RV suddenly becomes a fire in your RV.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #20

We were camped out years ago and watched this fire start during a run to town. The NFS and first responders reassured us the fire would be under control quickly and there was no need to evacuate. I chose to self evacuate. It took about 10-15 minutes to pack away our tent trailer. By the time we hit the mouth of the canyon they were closing the road to incoming traffic

The issue for those who left things behind was the looters.

https://www.ksl.com/article/21104059/quail-fire-burns-in-hills-above-alpine-evacuations-ordered
RockyMtnFamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg