Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #41
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A couple of years ago,we were camping with friends in southern central ohio,in a state campground. It was a very nice cg,rangers at entrance, and regular patrols.no problems. We drove two trucks to a trailhead,as we had done many times,with coolers in bed of truck,not with beer just water. On parking area had window glass in different places around the lot. So I drew the straw to sit in truck"lucky me" and keep watch while friends and the remainder of my family took the 3.5 mi. Hike, I did not think the perpetrator would likely return in middle of the day,but felt better keeping watch. Low and behold a man 35-40 walked from somewhere close,in woods and started looking in the window of the closest car,then started walking around aimlessly until he saw me in truck , he was defiantly startled,and made a quick retreat. May or may not have been " the guy"
The point is I defiantly feel better about leaving valuables in camper among my camping family,than in any parking lot. I think by far the majority of camping friends and family,are happy to be looking out for each other.and do so whenever possible.

Two years ago we were camping at natural bridge cg,in KY it rained Alot and Very hard,we had a flood, kind of a slow flash flood, the stream flowing through the cg eventually ran 2-3 ft deep throughout the cg, from normal stream the kids skipped rocks and played in maybe 3 hrs before. We "some other campers and I" helped rangers get all but two campers to higher ground,the road out to highway was closed due to a mudslide.we wer directed to the parking lot for sky tram ride,where we all worked together to feed all in parking lot and a ranger or two,then help the tent'ers with a dry place to sleep. By about 2:00 the next day most of the sites were repaired,and those of us that stayed were back in our spots,minus a few picnic tables wrapped around trees down stream. No one was hurt as far as I know,and I think all involved, were better in some ways because of this experience!
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #42

I know it's illegal to have in many campgrounds, but how many of you campers have hand guns, either in your car or in your camper, when you go camping?
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #43

The only thing we've ever had stolen was my bbq plate from some racoons. But on a more serious note. Anything of big value we try to lockup. When I'm done with the Grill, I'll empty ashes into the campsites fire pit and then put grill in back of truck. While that's not so secure, at least its not visible from the park road. We always buy our camping items on clearance for cheap so its not worth much to us. It's more hassle for me to put a bunch of cheap chairs and tables away than to lose the 10 bucks we pay for it all LOL.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
I know it's illegal to have in many campgrounds, but how many of you campers have hand guns, either in your car or in your camper, when you go camping?

not going to answer that one

keep them wondering

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #45

Oh please please please don't turn this into another handgun thread. Most of you have been around long enough to know that it eventually leads to becoming a locked thread.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #46

Quote:
I have a conceal license so it stays on me. Never leave it in camper.

Ruben Zamora
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #47
Camping Crazy

I have not seen or heard of any theft at the campgrounds I have been to. Most people I have encountered have been very friendly and outgoing and watch for stuff like that. I do lock mine if I am leaving the campground for an extended period but don't put everything away.
2013 Columbus 325RL

columbusfan325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
I have a conceal license so it stays on me. Never leave it in camper.
X2, but like Oakman stated, this will probably lead to a big fat lock on this thread.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #49

O.K. I'm sorry I asked the question. If the moderators choose to remove it, it's O.K. with me. I don't want to cause any problems and I didn't know it had been posted before. I apologize.
Jim
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #50

Quote:
O.K. I'm sorry I asked the question. If the moderators choose to remove it, it's O.K. with me. I don't want to cause any problems and I didn't know it had been posted before. I apologize.
Jim
Not a problem. It's just one of those "hot button" issues that people feel very strongly about and the discussions can turn ugly fast.

But back to the original topic of theft in campgrounds, here's my take.

I have been camping almost all of my life and have never experienced anything stolen from my site. Over those many years I’ve only heard of a couple of instances where items had been stolen from anyone’s campsite. In all those years we have only stayed a couple of campgrounds that felt “spooky” enough that we locked everything up at night.

There is one item that I do put a lightweight chain on so it doesn’t walk off at night, my Tailgater satellite. It’s expensive, very lightweight, and even comes with a handle for someone dishonest to carry it off. That is the only item I worry about, bikes, chairs, lights, lanterns, etc. I leave out all night. It’s never been a problem.

I have experienced theft from one of my fifth wheels though. Back during the winter of ‘04/’05 our trailer was broken into at the storage lot. Well I can’t say “broken into” because someone apparently used a 751 key to access our basement storage area and took what little we had left in there. Anything of value we had taken out for the winter. The thieves got stuff like my sewer hose, cheap water pressure regulator, and a few other items not worth stealing. At least my trailer wasn’t damaged.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #51

I met somebody last year here in Tulsa who said his entire trailer was stolen off the lot of a motel he stayed in for one night. That's what I'm worried about. He's a traveling contractor like me. He didn't mention whether he had a ball locked into his hitch, but as of right now, that's my plan. Can any of you more experienced in this tell m if there's a better mechanism for securing your trailer from be simply towed away?
diverdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #52
Always Learning

First, if I was able to - I'd leave the trailer hitched to the vehicle and back it up to where you'd have to move the TV to get to the trailer.

Second, yes - lock the ball so that trailer can't simply be opened and lifted off of the ball.

Third, you can lock the ball receiver into the hitch on the TV.

Finally, I've read that you can run heavy chains through the wheels and around the axle.

That said, I've left my fifth wheel parked (hitched to the truck) at 2 hotels now and haven't had any issues. Plus, it stays that way in front of my house on the road where car "break-ins" are common (I say "break-in" because they only go through your car if it's unlocked). No one has done anything to the camper so far.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #53
Site Team - Lou

Someone stole the aluminum pan full of grease drippings AND my grill wire brush (also with grease on it) RIGHT OFF OF MY GRILL!

The NERVE of some folks!

I found the pan nearby, all shiny and clean; but punctured with tiny holes so I could not use it again! Grrrr So Mean!

I still am looking for my grill brush!

Oh, well off to the Home Store...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #54

Thanks ependydad, I guess what I'm really wondering is if it's worth the money to buy one of those expensive locking hitch covers, or just lock an extra ball in the hitch for those times I want to drive somewhere with the trailer in tow. Not too worried about it being towed out of an rv park while go to work. But if I stop in some town and maybe park it somewhere so I can drive around without it, that's when I'd feel most vulnerable.
And now I'm learning about the infamous 751 key...in that case, then I'd be worried about my rv park neighbors. Something else I gotta fix...
Old 03-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Someone stole the aluminum pan full of grease drippings AND my grill wire brush (also with grease on it) RIGHT OFF OF MY GRILL!

The NERVE of some folks!

I found the pan nearby, all shiny and clean; but punctured with tiny holes so I could not use it again! Grrrr So Mean!

Oh, well off to the Home Store...
HAHA! At first I thought, "now why on earth would somebody want your drippings"? Then I realized that I have the same sort of evil thieves in my back yard stealing fom my bird feeders. LOL
Old 03-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #56
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdon View Post
Thanks ependydad, I guess what I'm really wondering is if it's worth the money to buy one of those expensive locking hitch covers, or just lock an extra ball in the hitch for those times I want to drive somewhere with the trailer in tow. Not too worried about it being towed out of an rv park while go to work. But if I stop in some town and maybe park it somewhere so I can drive around without it, that's when I'd feel most vulnerable.
And now I'm learning about the infamous 751 key...in that case, then I'd be worried about my rv park neighbors. Something else I gotta fix...
I think I read in this thread that even if you lock the coupler closed, some bad guys will use a small ball to hookup and pull the camper to an area that they can work the lock a bit more.

Depending on where you're leaving it, it might be worthwhile.

(You didn't say otherwise, but...) I'd also recommend that you get permission from the land owner to leave your camper sit while you drive off without it. It could be that the "thief" is really the "towing" company.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #57

You would be surprised how easy you can tow a trailor by just hooking up CHAINS to a bumper LOL

Ruben Zamora
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjerram View Post
In response to the police officer amongst us; We've been camping for over a year and have yet to hear of a theft. We saw one site where the couple completely unloaded their trade in onto their site, left to get their new bus, all was there upon their return. We think campers in general, tend to watch out for one another. Now, having said that, we never leave home without our Kimber!
Hay, you don't need a kimber you have that attack cat !!!!!!!. As far as leaving things out I learned we lost a 700.00 bike, the new bike is always chained now to my landing gear. But in all and all MOST CG are pretty safe. I also find that campers watch out for each other, only if you take the time to know them!!!!!

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #59

Having dogs help. Pick up valuables, items around the site before bed.

All else fails, sleep on the reclining chair next to the campfire because the dogs have taken your spot in bed and you don't want to wake the DW moving them.

vizsla owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The racoons are probably using it for a back scratcher!
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote