Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Question Campground Transportation Question

Hi All,

I tow with a 2006 F250 supercab with a 6 1/2 foot box. I would like to buy a golf car to take along for transportation in campgrounds. Alas, even the shortest standard golf car that I have found on the net exceeds the length of my pickup bed. I guess I could buy electric scooters for the wife and myself, but I would much rather have a two person vehicle so we can ride more safely and together. Can anyone share their knowledge of a campground-acceptable vehicle that might suit my needs or, perhaps, of a workaround for my problem? No, I really don't want to trade the truck, and towing with the tailgate down would severely hamper my turning radius.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw

No, I really don't want to trade the truck, and towing with the tailgate down would severely hamper my turning radius.
dimurrrw,
Here's something to consider.
I have a friend who camps with us and he carries his Golf Cart in his short bed pick-up while towing his TT.
He made a short tailgate using angle iron and expanded metal to fit his truck. He made it just long enough to extend past the bed to support the rear wheels of the Golf Cart. It doesn't look too bad and does not interfere with the tongue jack when turning and backing. I think it is only about 1' or so long.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:50 AM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Michael,
Thanks for the reply. It does seem that what you suggest would be the most practical alternative. The only other thing I can think of is to pay an arm and a leg to have a golf cart modified by cutting a foot out of the middle - assuming that would even be doable.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Michael,
The only other thing I can think of is to pay an arm and a leg to have a golf cart modified by cutting a foot out of the middle - assuming that would even be doable.
I picked up a golf cart from a friend in hopes of doing the same thing.
I removed the body panels, took measurements, did some serious thinking, then gave up on the project for this spring.
With the batteries, controller and switches in the rear having to be relocated(nowhere to go). And, the steering, brake, and throttle up front needing to be relocated also, once you remove enough material to get it to fit in the bed, there is no room to place your feet.

Maybe I'll take another look at things this winter.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:56 PM   #5

This is a utility vechicle. Maybe this would work, though I'm not sure how long a golf cart is. It doesn't have to be a Polaris, that's just what we like.
*Bear says that not all campgrounds allow quads.

RANGER XP (4x4 700 EFI) ENGINE :

Engine Type: Polaris Twin Cylinder

Displacement: 683 cc

Coolant Capacity: Liquid - 3.25 qt / 3 ltr

Carburetion: Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI)

Drive: Switch-engaged on-demand true 4-wheel shaft drive

Drivetrain

Transmission: Automatic PVT

Dimensions/Capacities

Length/Width/Height: 113x60x75in / 287x152.4x190.5cm

Dry Weight: 1185 lbs / 537 kgs

Box Capacity: 1000 lbs / 454 kgs

Ground Clearance Front - 11in/28cm / Rear - 12in/30.5cm

Load Capacity

Hitch Towing Capacity: 1750 lbs / 794 kgs
Mrs. Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Bear
Bear says that not all campgrounds allow quads.
Most all campgrounds I've been to only allow electric golf carts or electric scooters.
NO gas engines.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat
Most all campgrounds I've been to only allow electric golf carts or electric scooters.
NO gas engines.
Same around here but I am looking for that used golf cart deal gas or electric.
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:54 PM   #8

Golf Cart

Quote:
Hi All,

I tow with a 2006 F250 supercab with a 6 1/2 foot box. I would like to buy a golf car to take along for transportation in campgrounds. Alas, even the shortest standard golf car that I have found on the net exceeds the length of my pickup bed. I guess I could buy electric scooters for the wife and myself, but I would much rather have a two person vehicle so we can ride more safely and together. Can anyone share their knowledge of a campground-acceptable vehicle that might suit my needs or, perhaps, of a workaround for my problem? No, I really don't want to trade the truck, and towing with the tailgate down would severely hamper my turning radius.
Hi Richard
Can you tell me how long the golf cart is if its only a few inches you need might have an idea.

JG
James Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote