Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 10:19 PM   #1

Camping alone?

Anybody ever go camping alone? Seems my kids are finally at the age where they have other priorities. I have a site booked 3 nights at the lake for Labor Day weekend, and my 12-year-old would rather go to a different lake with a friend, my 9-year-old would rather go see a Disney "star" at the regional fair, and my wife would rather not go anywhere at all because she was on a long 4-day trip last weekend and we have to drive 10 hours to go visit family the weekend after Labor Day for four days (non-camping trip).

I plan on spending some time fishing to occupy my time, but I'm sorta not looking forward to spending 3 days by myself in the midst of all the other large groups celebrating the holiday weekend. I'm not really used to being alone--I've been married 23 years and am almost always in the company of others. Seems like camping is more of a group activity anyway. It's like cooking--it's not that much fun to do it just for yourself. I guess I could take the two dogs for companionship or just cancel altogether. Strangely, despite my trepidation, I'm actually an introvert. Would you go ahead and go?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2016, 10:27 PM   #2

You will get used to it,we did.When the grandkids start to appear,they will all be back,untill the grandkids become teenagers,then it starts all over again.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #3

My wife (died two years ago) and I always enjoyed "alone" days every few months. We both really liked those times. Sometimes I'd go motorcycle riding, or skiing, or whatever. She enjoyed her time with no obligation to do anything for anyone else.

I think that had a lot to do with our marriage lasting 47 years. Enjoy your alone time camping....it helps you put things in perspective and appreciate what you have at home.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Yep, camped several nights alone . Me , myself and I get along fine
Will be alone Wednesday and Thursday nights before the long weekend when others arrive. Enjoy

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:30 PM   #5

I use to camp alone several years ago. Had a Flagstaff pup back then that I really enjoyed camping in, but my wife didn't like it mainly because of no bathroom. My favorite time was in early spring when the nights were cool and I could open up the bed flaps at night.
I would fish during the day and spend a quiet evening around a campfire. Usually I had caught enough fish that by Sunday noon people would start showing up for a fish fry....my parents, my wife, my daughter and her family. I was usually worn out by the time I got back home, but I loved it.
I have a different Flagstaff pup now, but never go out alone anymore. That's a whole other story I won't go into, but I do miss those days.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:22 AM   #6

I enjoy camping alone. You can always just sit back and people watch. I find there are generally several small (or larger) chores that need to be done that I'd maybe been putting off. Being by yourself could be a good time to catch up on stuff like that.

Enjoy some quiet time.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:27 AM   #7

I camp alone once or twice a year, but not at campgrounds. I'll be at an auto race track with cars zooming by and stuff going on fairly often.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:59 AM   #8

Every now and then I camp alone but it's truly not alone as I take the dogs with me. The kids are grown. The DW sometimes can't or does't want to come.
I have tons of vacation time the DW does not.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:41 AM   #9
World Wide Wanderer

I would go and see how it works out for you. The dog an I go alone on occasion, and my wife goes without me on occasion. You won't know until you try it. I used to do longer bike tours and hikes by myself and enjoyed the alone time. Good luck and enjoy!

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
it helps you put things in perspective and appreciate what you have at home.
And all long-time family men know that this in itself can sometimes be a challenge. Not every day at home is always as idyllic as one would think!

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I'll give it a go and see how it works. Might even leave the dogs at home for maximum flexibility and freedom. Don't know.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #11

I love camping alone occasionally. I frequently go setup the TT on a Wednesday and stay alone till Friday afternoon when I go get my wife after she gets off work.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:31 AM   #12

Every Few Months

Every few months I need some alone time. I have been married 28 years and it is something that my wife knows, accepts and doesn't understand at all . I will usually go backpacking and will sometimes take a dog. Now that we have a camper I had the time and took a dog to Green Ridge State Forest a few weeks ago.

It's been my experience that not everyone is cut out for the "alone thing". Try it and perhaps take a dog and relax.

Marty
Old 08-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martsing View Post
it is something that my wife knows, accepts and doesn't understand at all
Yes, my dw has a hard time accepting this also. I think women by nature are more social.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2016, 08:49 AM   #14

Women can't even go to the bathroom alone! It's true, don't sneer at me! LOL

Men don't want ANY help doing anything, especially going to the bathroom! Men don't mind being alone.

Besides, when I'm alone, I'm always with almost all of my friends!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

Men don't want ANY help doing anything, especially going to the bathroom! Men don't mind being alone.

Lol, I get it! I guess some things are universal.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #16
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I've gone a few times alone. It's peaceful in a quiet way. Makes me appreciate my wife even more when we are together.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #17

I go alone 4 or 5 times a year. I work it around the fish runs. Wife hates to fish and my kids interest wanes after about an hour or so. I love the quite and in the evenings beer and a cigar or two, can't beat it!
Old 08-30-2016, 09:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

I suppose it's only fair that women get generalized, happens to men all the time too! But... I would have to disagree with this one I most definitely prefer going to the bathroom alone and...I even go to the movies alone, gasp! Me, I'm naturally introverted and LOVE my alone time!

My husband, on the other hand, is naturally a very extroverted personality. However, there are still times when I know he needs to decompress (when he gets grumpy, which is rare) so I'll tell him it's time for him to go fishing which brings an immediate smile. Worked for us for nearly 27 years now
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #19

I am currently sitting at the campground all by my lonesome and it's GREAT! We have 3 kids....son is grown and on his own and two daughters, aged 12 and 9. I'm the Mom.

We camphost at a campground that is about 25 miles from home. Once school starts in August, the kids go home and one of us goes with them. We alternate who stays and who goes with the kids, but we are all here on the weekends. (Our stint ends tomorrow and we'll all be home). It is so nice to be here in the campground during the week when there are few campers and it's quiet and peaceful. I can read, watch what I want on the TV, do some of my hobbies, take a nap when I want, eat what I want, etc. Yeah, it's great for a few days, then it's wonderful to be at home with the kids for a few days.

You say that there will be other large groups there. If you are there alone, someone will probably notice and invite you over to eat. Go if you want to, but if you would rather be alone, do that. If you catch a bunch of fish, offer it to your neighbors, but have a great time being on your own.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #20

While I enjoy camping with my wife, there are times she cannot join me. For example, my job is taking me for a week to an area 250 miles away. Instead of staying in a hotel, I will tow my 5th wheel and camp out after work.

Have fun and relax. I enjoy reading and catching up on movies I normally don't have time for when I camp. If you have a pet, take it with you. My dogs make excellent companions and excuses to hike when I camp alone.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping