Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbsails View Post
We had the same problem and opted for the Stealth Stalker 10 , it will hold 1200 lbs. We dry sailed it and although it took more than 15 minutes to get up and ready, hopefully we will get it WET soon. with the trolling motor it should do us fine.

Could you let me know your options once on the water? Looks like a good alternative for two people to get out and fish.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
FourWheelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hadden View Post
We carry an inexpensive Intex Excursion with a small Intex trolling motor. I also added some drop in plywood floors for a little more rigidity and a couple of seats that lay on the floor and extend across the boat sides. It blows up pretty fast with a coleman pump and is actually pretty light to launch. The floor and seats add some weight though. Its not fast but gets us out on the lake and into some really pretty coves. I carry the boat and accessories in the back of my truck. Lots of videos on youtube . . . take a look see.

I've read online where people use inexpensive Coleman air pumps to inflate most of the way then switch to a hand pump to finish off and get the pressure needed.

I am worried about the total weight. The boat is 145 lbs and another 95 lbs for the aluminum floor. That's a lot of extra weight to add to the trailer while towing. Since I use a Nissan Armada to tow with four people and two small dogs, it has to go in the trailer.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #23

Jarhead: That's good information to have about the elevation should I ever trailer the boat.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #24

Jarhead: I never considered the boat would inflate on high altitude trips. I do know New Jersey requires I register the boat with any motor on it.

Did you ever look at the propane outboards? Wonder if I could get permission to use a small one on an electric only lake? There's no pollution being put in the water.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #25

We have a Sea Eagle - didn't use it last year, and I don't remember its number, but it's an 11-foot inflatable. We got it with two seats, a 3 hp electric motor, and a canopy (which we've never used). We named her the Grania O'Malley (a real-life Irish pirate contemporary with Elizabeth I), and we wear pirate hats when we're out in her. Some grown-ups look at us a little funny, but most get a kick, and all the kids love it. Have not had our dog out in it yet, but hope to get a chance this year.

We think the quality is very good, and we've never had any trouble inflating, putting the seats or motor on, or deflating. It came in a bag, with a separate bag for the seats and floorboards, and doesn't take up too much room in the bed of the truck.

By the way, we have friends who come aboard trace their fingers and wrists on the floorboards - they're our deck hands!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A&J with the Grania.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	70758  
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #26
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

12ft. Porta Bote 5hp Motor

Had this 1998 12ft Porta Bote until 2013 when I sold it to prepare for buying a newer one. No problems with it and enjoyed it many times. At first I traveled with it hung on brackets on the side of my TowLite travel trailer.

Then when I got a Kodiac 25ft Travel Trailer, I started carrying it on the top of my SUV. Now I have a fifth wheel and will be carrying it underneath in a sliding ramp kinda of thing. They come in 8ft, 10ft, 12ft and 14ft sizes. I like the 3 seat 12ft.

We've had as many as 4 large adults in it at one time and though the 5 hp was a little slower, it made it fine to go up and down lake Tanneycomo in Branson (that's the picture with me driving).

The mfgs. website is www.porta-bote.com good info there.

Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
We carry a 10 ft Zodiac and both a 9.9 merc. motor and an electric motor. our unit has the inflatable bottom and is very easy to pump up and very stable when properly inflated. We use the 9.9 for longer trips and when pulling the grandkids on their tubes. With the 9.9 it planes very effectively. Big water or small it is great. Also with the inflatable bottom, air it down and it roles up and fits nicely into a carrying bag. Lots more comfort than in a kayak. We have used it in Alaska, the Yukon, Florida, Georgian Bay, Texas and Colorado. We use the electric motor for trolling and "putsing around"
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #28

You might want to look at the Oru folding kayak. I think they were on Sharktank and apparently made good. I've been considering one myself. Home | Oru Kayak | Explore outside the box

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshnJim View Post
We have a Sea Eagle - didn't use it last year, and I don't remember its number, but it's an 11-foot inflatable. We got it with two seats, a 3 hp electric motor, and a canopy (which we've never used). We named her the Grania O'Malley (a real-life Irish pirate contemporary with Elizabeth I), and we wear pirate hats when we're out in her. Some grown-ups look at us a little funny, but most get a kick, and all the kids love it. Have not had our dog out in it yet, but hope to get a chance this year.

We think the quality is very good, and we've never had any trouble inflating, putting the seats or motor on, or deflating. It came in a bag, with a separate bag for the seats and floorboards, and doesn't take up too much room in the bed of the truck.

By the way, we have friends who come aboard trace their fingers and wrists on the floorboards - they're our deck hands!

Thanks for the photo. Got any with the Pirate Hats? 😄

Old 03-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #30

Hbillsmith : I didn't realize they fold up that flat. How sturdy does that feel at higher speeds?

Old 03-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #31

I couldn't find any on the boat with pirate hats, but here's one afterwards. We wore them all afternoon 'cause we're silly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bison Ranch - Aug 2011 268.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	70770  
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #32

I have used a port-a-boat for 4 years and it is awesome. Very light and excellent in the water. You can see the different models by going to their website.Just type in Port-a-boat to get there.
bob5830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #33

Smile Portaboat

I have used a Port-a-boat for 4 years and it is awesome. The boat actually folds down when not in use and for transporting. To see what is like,just type in portport-a-boat on internet and you can see different sizes. I have a 14foot andhave had 4 adults in it with no problem.
bob5830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbconway View Post
You might want to look at the Oru folding kayak. I think they were on Sharktank and apparently made good. I've been considering one myself. Home | Oru Kayak | Explore outside the box

I saw that episode of Shark Tank. Wasn't it Robert that invested in them? Anyway, I didn't realize they were in actual production.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshnJim View Post
I couldn't find any on the boat with pirate hats, but here's one afterwards. We wore them all afternoon 'cause we're silly.

Nice hat!
If you don't mind, where was the previous picture taken? Looks like a great place to visit.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:42 PM   #36
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Response to "FourWheelers": The flat part is the hull. It weighs about 80# as I recall. The boats rigidity comes from the transom and 3 seats that get inserted when you set it up. I stow those pieces inside eithercthe trailer or in the back of the SUV (parts are about 50#). Takes about 20 mins to setup and launch unless their are a bunch of friendly folks standing around asking you questions haha. 5 or 6 hp is well matched to 12' and I think the top speed with 2 adults was about 15mph or so. We used it mostly on lakes, some rivers as a fishing boat.

As to feel of sturdiness, I always felt very safe. Its an unsinkable design. Bigest surprise was how nice it feels because the bottom flexes. No hard bouncing from waves.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #37

Boat came in this weekend. Sure looks and feels sturdy enough. That said, there is some serious weight to this thing. Hope I can pick some sites real close to the water.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425944340.664675.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	71063

Old 03-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #38

I know what you mean. Looks nice though!
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #39

"Boat came in this weekend. Sure looks and feels sturdy enough. That said, there is some serious weight to this thing. Hope I can pick some sites real close to the water."

If not, consider the fold up wheels/brackets that are sold for these. let's you inflate at least partially with power, then firm up with hand or foot pump. Then, fold down the wheels, (which mount on the outside of the transom) pick up the bow,and roll it into the water. then fold up the legs when using it in the water to reduce drag.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenfun View Post
"Boat came in this weekend. Sure looks and feels sturdy enough. That said, there is some serious weight to this thing. Hope I can pick some sites real close to the water."

If not, consider the fold up wheels/brackets that are sold for these. let's you inflate at least partially with power, then firm up with hand or foot pump. Then, fold down the wheels, (which mount on the outside of the transom) pick up the bow,and roll it into the water. then fold up the legs when using it in the water to reduce drag.

Might be the way to go. Thanks for the tip.

Tags
boat, camping