Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #201

I attach for your considerations a photo of my temp after a 15 min warmup AND driving approx 20miles in sub Zero temps with a wind chill in the -teens......it takes forever for a diesel to reach op temps when its real cold...what do you guys wherr its REALLY FOR REAL cold do?...a lil off topic but idling was a complaint. ..lol

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397770881877.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	50078  
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #202

I got a winter front with the Ford when I bought it, helps a lot as does the block heater.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #203

According my owners manual my dodge ram 2500 5.9 diesel says let the oil pressure stabilize then go and stay 50 mph or under for first mile then it will be warmed up enough to speed up. But it is obvious many on here are jealous of the "fancy" diesels. I have had both and working around engines for the last 40 years all engines need a warm up before going up to max operating speed. Everyone should be courteous when leaving a camp ground early no matter if you have a "fancy smancy" Gas burner or a diesel but being a dog lover rather hear a camper leave than have someones dog take a crap in my camp site and not clean up after their dog.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #204
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul View Post
... But it is obvious many on here are jealous of the "fancy" diesels...
Yeah, right, like being jealous of a sore tooth.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #205

Ok. Now I have to RTFM for my truck. While I understand letting any vehicle warm up I still don't get it. Mid June, July or August letting a diesel run run run. I have a GMC Denali 3500HD Duramax diesel with Allison transmission. If it needs to warm up longer than the 5 mins I give it plus the slow crawl out of the camp ground then I'll have to park at the office for a while.
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #206

I miss getting 7MPG as much as I miss my ex-wife
I'll keep my fancy diesel
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #207

Bought my first diesel 5 months ago and understand how it might wake a few campers early in the morning. I've heard plenty of gas trucks and cars louder than my f350 while camping. U get the younger groups with there imports revving there upgraded exhaust and older pickups that sound like they have no mufflers. It's all part of camping and being around others u don't know.

I have more problems with my neighbors at home than I do when we are out camping. Try talking with your fellow campers. I have no problem going over and talking to the person next to me if I have a problem especially in the early morning hours. 😬our park rangers here in washington usually ask us in the morning if we've had any problems and are good about taking care of it.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #208

This discussion could go on forever. For every opinion that advocates long idle times there is one to the contrary and also the visa versa.

Here's just one: How long should a vehicle idle?. If one were to look long enough one could surely find a rebuttal.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #209
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Twenty one pages of one complaint after another - it's a wonder that anyone has any fun at all camping. (Of course I read through all of them to see if anyone had to endure any of my early morning departures....) The beauty of camping is that one can always pull up stakes if things get too, too bad

We live in a less than perfect world, so try to enjoy whatever each day brings you
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #210
Mod free 5er

Haven't seen anyone post that they were giving up camping just because of their likes and dislikes at campgrounds.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #211
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Well said, OC, well said....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
Twenty one pages of one complaint after another - it's a wonder that anyone has any fun at all camping. (Of course I read through all of them to see if anyone had to endure any of my early morning departures....) The beauty of camping is that one can always pull up stakes if things get too, too bad

We live in a less than perfect world, so try to enjoy whatever each day brings you
I see seven pages and not every post is a complaint.

Just sayin...
Old 04-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #213
Site Team

Like most people I have had my fair share of unwanted noise but the good times out weigh the not-so quiet times. While tent camping I had trouble with a large group (20+) walking through the middle of my site as a short cut even after I asked them not to. One of their drivers parked in my space which didn't help the matter. Around 1 am I woke up to loud talking and found 5 teenager sitting at my picnic table having a good time. While this might not be a big deal to some people it can be different when you are a female tent camping alone.

At another CG the people in the site next to me arrived after midnight and started honking non stop. It seems that someone else use the empty site as a parking space.

My last complaint is from selecting a site on the end cap. When I have that site at one of my favorite CG I now know what to expect: people will cut through even close to the TT, the end cap will be used for tossing the football around - even during my dinner outdoor, but also that little kids (really little) will use the end cap as a bike park. So now I select another site that has a end cap too but because of location and ground cover it isn't a drawn for unwanted activities.

With all these complaints why camp? Because a noisy day camping is better than a day working.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #214

I guess I will say "sorry" in advance since I too have a diesel truck although I don't really see it as being loud. I also have dogs but they are very quiet. I figure, no matter where you go there is going to be that one person or two who does something that you don't agree with. I once camped next to someone who had the most annoying bird that wouldn't shut up. I felt like I was at the zoo...some big African gray bird squawking first thing in the morning....but instead of complaining about it, I went over and got to know the people next to me and found them to be quite interesting (when I could hear them over the bird).
There are also those who like to drink and stay out by the fire all nite and you know the more the drink goes down, the louder the volume goes up and then they like to get up in the morning and complain about the person who started up their diesel truck and woke them up. Point is...no one is perfect. Those who think they do nothing at all to irritate others are completely wrong, because what is irritating to one may or may not be irritating to someone else.
It's dogs, kids, cars, trucks, music, trespassing, drinking, talking, birds...there is always something that you have no control over. Just enjoy the fact that you are out enjoying the great outdoors and are blessed enough to be able to do it in the first place.
big green hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #215
Site Team

Even with all my complaints I have come a lot more nice & welcoming RVers than not.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #216
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul View Post
But it is obvious many on here are jealous of the "fancy" diesels. .
Was that really necessary? *must* it be that a person is "jealous" if they don't love the "smell/sound of diesel fumes in the morning" 50' from their bedroom window? c'mon

DH and I have a "fancy" new F250, and a "fancy" new 5er. I don't think anyone here is jealous of us, and I would *hope* that everyone here is happy for us.

FTR I haven't commented on the diesel idling issue, except to laughingly call them a "bucket-o-bolts" which is a common phrase in my neck of the woods, and I took it in the joking tone it was offered, when *I* drove a "fancy" new diesel pickup for years. *I* even lovingly called it my bucket-o-bolts BAT...big arse truck. BOB-BAT was its name. And it was.....BLACK!

No need to fan the flames of contentiousness. Camping is like living in quarters closer than the most crowded trailer park you can imagine, and unlike that crowded trailer park, most of the time we're next to people we've never met before and (with some) hope we'll never meet again.

Venting is a good thing, as long as it's voiced and received with civility.

Edited to add: and our dog Fred is too lazy to bark.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #217
Site Team

IMO campers over all are some of the best of folks you can meet.
Hopefully from this thread, we all can learn how to be a little bit more considerate of others at the cg.
Seasonal

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #218

[QUOTE=Platokidd;590290] IMO campers over all are some of the best of folks you can meet.

I agree!!!
big green hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #219
NELA

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
IMO campers over all are some of the best of folks you can meet.
Hopefully from this thread, we all can learn how to be a little bit more considerate of others at the cg.
You speak TRUTH! Our last trip was the GREATEST as far as meeting awesome camping neighbors go. Met FOUR awesome fellow campers. DH was trippin' over his bottom lip cuz he couldn't get satellite reception at our site due to trees, and the guy down from us was setting his up. DH stopped to talk to him (saw him using a meter) and next thing you know that guy is running cable ALL THE WAY from his RV 3 spaces down and hooking his dish up to our RV.

(yes, DH and he asked the other two campers if it was OK to run cable thru their sites...out next to the road)

That guy made a rained-buckets-every-day trip much more tolerable...DH could watch his beloved GOLF! and NASCAR! (until it was rained out).

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #220
phat phrog stunt crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Like me some Smokey & the Bandit!...might get the gold bird decal for the hood of my black diesel truck LOL

Get yourself a screaming daffy duck instead of the screaming chicken for the hood of your truck. Then you can irritate the warner brother fans.

Tags
camping